It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:35 am

Post subject: Pre Amp for Cassette Player & Korg Monologue
PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:33 am 

I need a Pre amp for a Fischer Studio Cassette Player & A Korg Monologue

It keeps Peaking Every Time I Try To Sample!

(Any Suggestions)

Post subject: Re: Pre Amp for Cassette Player & Korg Monologue
PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:59 am 

why would you need an amp if it's peaking dude? that means the signal is too strong. an amp makes a signal stronger. you need to turn down the output of the source or turn down the input of the recording interface/sampler

unless i'm not understanding what you're getting at? if this ^^^ isn't the obvious solution can you please explain more thoroughly the issue at hand?

IIIII wrote:
he can turn water into a beat, and feed a thousand dancehalls with only two drumbreaks

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:29 am 

I need something to control the peak a way to turn it down cause every time I try to sample the sound is too loud & muddles what I’am trying to do because it’s just peaking

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:35 am 

It seems to me like I can’t control it how loud it comes out from the Synth & Cassette Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:04 am 

If you don't have a stereo amplifier I assume you are running the signal from the tape decks headphone output?
Few tape decks have a built in headphone volume control, and they often run too hot (fuck noes why?!) so getting an amp is a good idea, or try RCA cables to sp if you haven't already.

SP-808 | SP-202 | SP-303 | SP-555 | SP-404sx | OP-1 | Ableton 10 | Tascam 244 | Adobe Audition 1.5

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:27 am 

Well with the Cassette Deck I’m running it thru the audio input in the back with rca cords still coming in kinda hot but I’m running it thru the headphone output on the Synth (Any Suggestions on how to control the levels)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:37 pm 

mrcocaineraindrops wrote:
Well with the Cassette Deck I’m running it thru the audio input in the back with rca cords still coming in kinda hot but I’m running it thru the headphone output on the Synth (Any Suggestions on how to control the levels)

turn the volume down on your synth

IIIII wrote:
he can turn water into a beat, and feed a thousand dancehalls with only two drumbreaks

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:19 am 

i have a tape deck that when i record into it, whatever i'm recording has to be close to no audio output at all, just above that. who knows why? it's extremely difficult to find that sweet spot, but i still do, without using an amp. and i was confused on what you were talking about because an amp isn't a pre amp. a pre amp refers to something that's built into a piece of audio hardware as a way to amplify the sound without using an external amplifier. an actual amplifier is always a smart investment, i have a late 70s model and a mid 80s model. but yeah, an example of a pre amp is like the one built into one of my phonos, i can switch it on so i can amplify the sound without using an external amplifier, or i can switch it off and use an external amplifier.

p.s. maybe you're having an issue with how to monitor the sound of your synth. whenever you record into a tape deck like the one i was talking about, you need to monitor what you're recording through the tape deck. hopefully it has a headphone out? that's the only way i can record with the tape deck i have because like i said, it has to be an extremely low audio input, so the only way to hear what i'm recording is through the tape deck's headphone output during recording

IIIII wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:36 am 

zendan wrote:
i have a tape deck that when i record into it, whatever i'm recording has to be close to no audio output at all, just above that. who knows why? it's extremely difficult to find that sweet spot, but i still do, without using an amp. and i was confused on what you were talking about because an amp isn't a pre amp. a pre amp refers to something that's built into a piece of audio hardware as a way to amplify the sound without using an external amplifier. an actual amplifier is always a smart investment, i have a late 70s model and a mid 80s model. but yeah, an example of a pre amp is like the one built into one of my phonos, i can switch it on so i can amplify the sound without using an external amplifier, or i can switch it off and use an external amplifier.

p.s. maybe you're having an issue with how to monitor the sound of your synth. whenever you record into a tape deck like the one i was talking about, you need to monitor what you're recording through the tape deck. hopefully it has a headphone out? that's the only way i can record with the tape deck i have because like i said, it has to be an extremely low audio input, so the only way to hear what i'm recording is through the tape deck's headphone output during recording

anyone have anything to say about this? feedback? comments?

IIIII wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:11 am 

zendan wrote:
anyone have anything to say about this? feedback? comments?

You said everything he will ever need lol. To me, it seems that his question falls into the "how can I sample in the SP404" category... As you said before "just turn down the volume on your synth".

As l i f said, my headphones out are very loud too, but they don't really reflect what I recorded. If I track the tape out to the sp or Ableton, I'll get that sweet tape distortion. So... maybe the guy's problem is that he is basing the quality of what he recorded purely on his headphones out? If he is tracking out the tape to any DAW (even using the headphone output), he could just lower the rec in volume so it would not peak.