It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:05 pm

Post subject: Re: bassline
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:27 pm 

kel wrote:
If you can sing, try using the Octave fx and boosting the lower octave as you sing into the mic. You can get some smooth sine wave notes to chop up.

NICE 2 C U BACK KEL!

Loop literally a millisecond of audio
resample with MFX22 (404 subsonic) using the pitch and threshold as desired.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:04 pm 

seezesea wrote:
I've been messing around with an sp sample bass technique I kinda stumbled upon the other night, I think it's awesome and recommend giving it a try, works on any sp with the c.canceller effect.

You start with a sample with a bass part that you wanna chop (doesn't matter if there's other instruments over top of the bass). Record that into the sp in STEREO with the c.canceller on it, which you set to boost the low end a little and cut the highs a little, use the left/right control to cut out as much of the high part of the sample (piano/vocals/strings or whatever) as it can.
You then resample this in MONO to a new pad and chop it up however you want.
I've found that the conversion from stereo to mono on a sample that has the c.Canceller on it really brings out the bass for some reason, and it sounds super sick when you put the bassy sample under some drums.

I tried it on a bunch of different samples from different genres of music and it seems to be a pretty solid technique. Takes some practice and experimenting to get the right setting on the Canceller but when you do it doesn't sound as flat as a sample with just bass boosting/high cutting with the eq or isolater.

nice one, didnt knew about this technique. i just tested it and got some nice results with it. thanks for sharing

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:30 pm 

I'm picky with bass & have a hard time getting it to sound right even when it's the same key.

Since I have a hard time with bass, especially when using samples (vinyl), I had a revelation....majority of the shit I sample is full of instruments, like guitar, piano, acoustic drums, ect, ect, so maybe an instrument for bass would sound better. I bought a bass guitar sample pack to test it out (JFilt/Very Sick Beats made some good ones) & boy was I right. I bought a bass guitar right after & so happy I did. Only paid $110, so it's just a cheap bass guitar, but still sounds great to me, especially with a little Analog Heat.

If I don't use bass guitar, I use a Volca Kick, Proteus 2000/MoPhatt or Ms-20 mini. I really like the Volca Kick for Sub bass & it makes some mean basslines.

For some reason I've never been fond of just low-passing the main sample & using that for bass. Mainly due to the fact that it never sounds like a bassline doing it's thing.... it just adds low end to the main melody/chops. BUT I'm glad this thread came back up, I need to try out this method again. If I can't get bass guitar or a synth to sound how I want right away, I just give up & don't add bass. This is when I need to use the low pass trick to atleast give the beat some low end. Gonna mess with this more.

https://sharris.bandcamp.com/

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:53 am 

Korg microSTATION bass love!!!

Roland SP-404MKIIx2,
Korg microSTATION,
Roland Verselab MV-1,
FLStudio 20 & Akai Fire,
Maschine MKII & MKIII,
UbuntuStudio / KXStudio,
https://soundcloud.com/mr-thraz

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:58 am 

All you really need is a sampler and records to craft out a dope bassline.
There's so much gear out there, and people catch the obsession infection.
But really, you're a sampler, so just sample the stuff and make turn your machine into an instrument.

There ARE dope open bass line riffs to loop, you just gotta find 'em.
Keep your turntable spinning! Always be listening.
Just the other day, I had Elton John on, and there are a few spots on his song Rocket Man that have bass notes open and separated from the music/singing that actually sound REALLY DOPE!

Keep diggin in the crates! You WILL find stuff.
So many dollar bin finds that I took a chance on and had great sample material.

Also, keep experimenting when it comes to your style of beat-making.
You wouldn't have great music if bands didn't have jam sessions.
Stumbling on a pattern from mere messing around gives a great sense of accomplishment when it comes together in a record.

In the spirit of this post, when it comes to basslines, I was messing around with a few pitched out to different pads bass notes and using an echo FX and it kind of had a dope tone to it.

Don't get caught up in the same routine. Have fun with it.
Peace!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:49 pm 

I’d agree with all that Matt. To build on the approach you’ve laid out I’d add... look up some jazz bass players and dig for their stuff, or just b observant of cover photos in the jazz section of ur record store. Bass players like to have pictures of basses on the cover of their albums. And the classic jazz format shares ample solo time among players... particularly in trio and quartet formats... so there r lots of great bass lines to b culled from the jazz section of ur record store.

To counter the point ur making... it’s been mentioned that people r concerned w keeping their bass elements in the same key as the rest of their chops, and sampling from multiple sources means u will most likely have to retune ur bass to match the rest of ur track. This can b near impossible when u have repitched a record by ear... placing the note values in some weird random place between whole and half note values. At that point u r off the grid and will either need bass from the same source track (or record, as notes from other songs will have the same relative scale shift), or u will need to micro tune ur external gear to match the same shift u applied to the record. Subsonic effect works great for generating bass notes when u r off the grid w ur repitching, as u r creating each tone by ear. The knob adjustment is pretty touchy, but u can hear when ur bass note is in the neighborhood of the rest of ur jam. Forgive me if this has already been addressed.

SOUNDCLOUD

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 7:52 am 

i think seezesea said it best.

my trick (and many others) for the sp404 as a standalone:
use anything you sampled and put the subsonic on it. turn the sample out, resample, copy several times, use the pitch (the one that works best) und generate some 2-3 different bass sounds. :shock: make sure you know how music sounds :roll:

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 9:49 am 

i usually sample in notes of a bass synth i make to a few pads to match the progression/ play a line

u can also use the subsonic to make basses if u like, sounds p good imo

either find the note u like and either resample fully wet to isolate the subsonic or resample the loop you're matching it to with it, or, if you're really out there, you can try to play the bassline with the pitch knob all in one go, if you don't mind about them being slightly off pitch

much luv yall

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 9:26 pm 

subsonic + pattern sequencer

korg monotron

i'm broke yo haha

IIIII wrote:
he can turn water into a beat, and feed a thousand dancehalls with only two drumbreaks