It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:48 pm

Post subject: Using 2 samplers (404 + Sampletrak)
PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:48 pm 

So I used a 404 for years and then sold it. Bought a 555 and used that for a while but didn't like it as much as the 404. Then I bought a Sampletrak and I love that thing, but I just bought an OG 404 (black and gold w/ 1GB card for $249!) because I need the storage space.

I know there are probably tons of topics like this, but how would you folks utilize this sampling set up? I am considering using the Sampletrak to keep drums on since the samples would take up less space. I'd love to hear how people here use 2 samplers in tandem. Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Using 2 samplers (404 + Sampletrak)
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:25 pm 

That sounds like a good plan (using the Sampletrak for drums). I like using different samplers together & what I do is just experiment with using them in different ways, using different workflows to find out what works best for me & I try to find their strengths (strengths on their own & strengths using them together). For example when I use my 404sx & MPC 2500 together. The sx has a ton of storage space & great effects. The MPC has an amazing sequencer. There are multiple ways to use them together that work well, but keeping all samples on the 404sx & controlling it with the MPC (midi out to sx midi in) really uses their strengths. I can take advantage of the sample space & effects on the sx & take advantage of the MPC sequencer.

The MPC is fast at chopping samples tho too, but I don't mind chopping on the sx as it's kind of meditative. I normally have samples on both the sx & MPC. And I just transfer audio back & forth, back & forth. I like mixing up my workflow too, it can help with creativity. When I get stuck in the same workflow it can be hard to break habits, I end up doing the same thing over & over, so when I switch up my workflow I experiment more & I try new things.

That's what I suggest. Just play around with them & use them in different ways to find what workflow you like best. To find their strengths. Try thinking of them as 1 machine, not 2. That can help as well.

https://sharris.bandcamp.com/