It is currently Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:19 am

Post subject: Tracking Out Beats from the 404 to Multi-Track Recorder
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:39 am 

This is one of those things that may be known by some but not by all, so I figured I'd share my personal method/explanation of the process. The whole concept may not appeal to a lot of folks, but here it is...

Tracking out a sequenced beat from your 404 to your multi-track recording device!

Skip this paragraph if you are familiar with multi-track recording...
For the purposes of this explanation, tracking out your beat will refer to the process of recording the separate parts of your beat (drums, bass, etc.) to separate tracks or channels of your recording hardware or DAW. One of the simplest ways to do this is to record your beat to an 8-track digital recorder, which will separate your beat/song from one 2-channel audio signal (as it leaves your SP), spreading it across 8 separate channels for individual volume, EQ, effects processing, and cut/copy/paste edits as well. To keep your recorded tracks in sync you will need to use a 'midi out' connection from your recorder to a 'midi in' on your 404.

Since the 404 is only blessed with one track of sequencing, separating individual parts from your completed pattern is accomplished through selective use of the level control of each individual pad. If this sounds tedious it's because it really is quite a pain the first couple times, but through repetition and a little organization it can be accomplished pretty easily. An alternate method for doing this is to use an effect that can be manipulated to completely cut a samples playback level... like isolator turned all the way down for example. Here you are assigning the effect to the pads you want to mute by holding the remain button and pressing the pads. The difference is that if done by using the level of the sample, you can then assign effects at the time of recording... including live manipulation. So you could add live wah pulsing as you record your bass pattern for instance.

The organization part is as follows: look at your 4 bank buttons as 4 separate categories of samples. For me they break down as... drums on F; bass on E; melodic samples on C & D. The alternate or blinking version of each bank (C/G, D/H, etc.) is used for overflow if you get into more than 12 percussion hits for example, or for saving alternate versions of a sample. By this method you can look at your banks as separate stereo audio tracks... each bank being designated 2 audio tracks of the 8-track recorder, ie. F=drums=(tracks 1 & 2). By this method your 8 recordable tracks would be assigned accordingly: 2 tracks for drums, 2 tracks for bass, and basically 4 tracks for melodic samples (or 2 stereo pairs... banks C & D).

Quick Sidenote: The idea of 2 tracks for drums and 2 tracks for bass won't appeal to some... but this is just a jumping off point. 3 tracks for drums and 1 for bass may sound more logical, and if this is an option on your 8-track recorder then you may want to go that route. I roll with 2 across the board because I am usually recording from the 404 to an 808, which means you can't treat paired tracks as individual mono tracks... you either record to 5/6 as stereo, or record to 5/6 as mono. The way I keep the drums limited to 2 tracks is by using 6 tracks for my drums (recorded about 8 bars beyond the end of the song) and then bouncing down to 2.

The way the final process is executed is by turning the level to zero on all but one of the pad banks and then recording to track. So you begin by playing your pattern... flying through banks C, D, & E turning down any pads that are in use... leaving only the drums playing from pad F. Then when you are sure you've isolated your drums you record to a pair of tracks on the 8-track. Repeat for your bass... conveniently located on bank E. And again for melodic layers 1 and 2, banks C & D.

Repeating the process of punching a pad... then start/end/level... and giving the knob a quick turn, will become automatic after a while. And with the furiously fast fingers of a well trained ninja, it will actually go pretty quickly.

Once stuff is tracked out you can play the fun game of bouncing down to add effects, transitions, vocal snippets, etc., and/or arranging your song on the recorder if this is your preference.

This all makes sense to me, but feel free to point out anything incorrect or nonsensical in the explanation noted above. I'm guilty of having an unhealthy attachment to my 808... I've been seeing the world in 8-tracks for long enough to have done permanent damage to my perception of time and space. As much as I love making beats w a lone 404, I don't actually think anything is finished until it's gone through the 808. 8)

SOUNDCLOUD

Post subject: Re: Tracking Out Beats from the 404 to Multi-Track Recorder
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:58 pm 

Great post Ghost Bazz, a lot of good info!

This is something I really want to start doing. I agree that it may seem tedious at first, but it really wouldn't take long to do & the more you do it, the quicker you get at it. I think it would def be worth it. I noticed that your sp beats always sound so professional. I mean, you got skills, but it's cool to hear part of your process...... a step you do to get to that level. Tracking out gives you so much more control over the sound. & I like the idea of using level instead of an effect to mute sounds. It might take a little more time, but it frees the effects up to use while tracking out.... great idea.

https://sharris.bandcamp.com/

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:49 pm 

Yo Sharris!

Thanks for the kind words! Much appreciated!

This smokey air sucks huh? We need some rain!

SOUNDCLOUD

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:07 pm 

Yes, definitely need rain :!:

There was a huge fire 20 minutes from my place Tuesday............ I just looked up WA & OR fires, no joke, there's a fire map..... fires everywhere.... I didn't realize there were so many. CRAZY!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:30 am 

Yo, you can also apply an fx that mute the sound (isolator with everything to the left/subsonic with treshold all the way right) to the group of pads you don't want. For instance first you apply it on the drums/bass so you record only the sample, then on the bass/sample so you record only the drums and so on, its really faster than setting all the pads to 0 lvl

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:52 pm 

saf90 wrote:
Yo, you can also apply an fx that mute the sound (isolator with everything to the left/subsonic with treshold all the way right) to the group of pads you don't want. For instance first you apply it on the drums/bass so you record only the sample, then on the bass/sample so you record only the drums and so on, its really faster than setting all the pads to 0 lvl

Yea, GhostBazz mentioned that in his post....... it's mentioned in my post as well :D

The reason he mentions using level instead of effects is to free the effects up.....so you can track out & use an effect at the same time.