It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:52 pm

Post subject: devices to work with SP-303/tempo, pressure sensitivity etc
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:20 am 

I was wondering if people here can give suggestions for any devices to work with the SP-303, like sequencers, or external drum pads. I'm looking around for something like that.

I used to have a Microkorg XL, and sometimes used its tempo knob to control the SP playing (SP-programmed) patterns, and this worked more intuitively than using the tempo control on the SP itself. I didn't really like the microkorg as a whole though, at least the interface, which had too much screen-dependent fidgety dials. I think I might have liked the older microkorg much better had I bought that, but I don't plan to buy one again, so I'm basically looking for something to extend control over various functions of the SP with a second device that has a MIDI clock, sequencing, possibly pressure sensitive pads, start-stop of a pattern, etc. (in any combination).
I'm very far from a pro music maker, more like an experimenter, so I prefer knobs to twiddle to complete control.

I was looking at the Yamaha qy-series, but I imagine there are a lot of other more modern devices that do one or more of these things. I prefer something that will work without a computer in the setup though.

If you know anything that fits the bill, that you use yourself, pro's and cons, limitations, please share!

Post subject: Re: devices to work with SP-303/tempo, pressure sensitivity
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:45 am 

dishwater wrote:
I was looking at the Yamaha qy-series!

The qy100 is great for programming and I think there might be someone here that has one for sale.

besides for that, there are roland mc's, mpc's and all kinds of other grooveboxes that are great for programming.

A MPD 32 (26) midi controller or Korg pad kontrol will give you velocity control on your SP if that is what you're after.

Electribes are great as well if you're into step sequencers.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:43 am 

Crane wrote:
The qy100 is great for programming and I think there might be someone here that has one for sale.

besides for that, there are roland mc's, mpc's and all kinds of other grooveboxes that are great for programming.

A MPD 32 (26) midi controller or Korg pad kontrol will give you velocity control on your SP if that is what you're after.

Electribes are great as well if you're into step sequencers.

Thanks for the suggestions. Those are more or less the machines I've previously heard of, I was hoping there are more to be found.

I'm wondering, are there no devices around that do both velocity and sequencing? I guess a lot are geared towards use with a computer and don't do MIDI (or let the computer handle that)?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:31 am 

Just get a novation circuit homie, it does what you want.