It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:54 pm

Post subject: MPC 1000. What’s to like/dislike???
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:04 pm 

So I went to a Georgetown street fair in south Seattle. They have a small music shop there, and just so happen to have a MPC 1K for $650. It is a bit more than I’d prefer to pay, but I can do layaway and bring it home in 2 months. I know it’s got a rock solid sequencer, a few fx, loads of ins/outs, yadda yadda. Don’t know for sure if there’s broken pads, if it’s the original OS or JJ OS. Don’t know if it has a HD. But if it’s in that shop Friday, I’m getting it.

But what do you all like or don’t like about the MPC 1K?

Post subject: Re: MPC 1000. What’s to like/dislike???
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:10 pm 

Mpc 1k is a sick machine. Lots to do with it and lots of potential upgrades/fixes u may feel r necessary once u start using it. Before delving into the specific functionality I’d recommend u compare current prices on eBay. That price seems way high. Unless u confirm that it has a paid version of the JJOS, full ram & a recent pad overhaul. If it has all those things then the price might b fair... but u r probably going to need/want to spend a couple hundred bucks right off the bat getting it fixed up a bit. I haven’t shopped for them in a minute, but I’d look to spend around $400 for a unit that appears clean... maybe less. Check out eBay dude. For $650 u r in the price range of a cheap 2500.

SOUNDCLOUD

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:39 pm 

loved mine, missed it so i copped a studio black, no regrets and is cheaper ;)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:45 pm 

I paid $700 for my 1000, but I knew I was paying a lot. It was completely revamped (looks brand new, even the inside of it), free JJOS, extended memory. I bought it around 2 years ago. I knew I was paying more than I should, but I bought it from a company that specializes in MPC's & they offer returns plus a warranty. It was the first used gear I bought so I wanted to lower the risk.

You can get them a lot cheaper tho. I heard to watch out for the blue ones with red sides (I got a black one) as they are known for having issues with the pads (if I remember correctly there is a gap between the pads & the sensors, but you can buy something to fix it).

I absolutely love the 1000 (I also have a MPC 500 & 2500). I kept the free JJOS on it forever, eventually got JJOSXL & wish I got it sooner. def look into JJOS. Adds a TON of features, A TON!! Worth every penny.

Only issue I had was 1 tact switch went out. I bought a bunch of tact switches & soldering gun, have no experience with soldering & I replaced the tact switch in 30 minutes.

Any questions feel free to ask :)

Too be honest there isn't anything I really don't like about it, I'm a huge MPC fan. It has an amazing sequencer, you can layer up to 4 samples per pad, it has mute groups, the effects are decent (I use them), really there's is too much to list.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:48 pm 

?????

Why pay that much?

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/msg/ ... 65828.html

I've got the blue one. All I had to do was spray a little deoxit on some of the buttons

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:51 pm 

There was a time I was really interested in it. If I had to choose between a SP303 and a MPC1000 I would have chosen the MPC right away. Everything I heard coming out of it has a very metallic sound with annoying high frequencies. From what I saw its main use is as of a sequencer. Listen as much as possible productions made with it only just to make sure you like the sound.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:58 pm 

BruteCoan wrote:
?????

Why pay that much?

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/msg/ ... 65828.html

I've got the blue one. All I had to do was spray a little deoxit on some of the buttons

Because most people on Craigslist/Reverb/eBay won’t take payments???

I mean, I don’t have any clue when I’ll have $450 to myself, and no other bills or f ups to prevent that. But I might have half of it, or maybe a bit of it. But most people refuse to do layaway. It all has to be there or no sale.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:54 am 

Copy that.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:24 pm 

Credit card? Not sure what ur life experience is, but this could b a good opportunity to build some credit.

Here’s another thought. What is the store’s return policy? If u bring it home and find that it requires a pad upgrade right away u should b able to return it for a full refund. The price seems really high, but if u can return it within the first 30 days or so, u can get a good idea of the value of ur purchase & safeguard against buyer’s remorse.

Out of curiosity, what’s ur current setup look like?

SOUNDCLOUD

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:34 pm 

Gabanoise_Records wrote:
There was a time I was really interested in it. If I had to choose between a SP303 and a MPC1000 I would have chosen the MPC right away. Everything I heard coming out of it has a very metallic sound with annoying high frequencies.

Are you talking about the 1000? If so, my MPC 1000 is the opposite. It enhances the low end. Enough so that I have to be careful when sampling.
Maybe mine's special :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:35 pm 

No idea on the return policy, but I’m guessing the reason it’s so high is that it’s a commission sale to the original owner. As long as they invested in a HD, or JJOS, I can live with the high tab.

My credit is kinda in the pits right now, and this is how I’ve been picking up the last few purchases. Layaway.

My setup: is one word right now. Disorganized. I’ve got a desk with my mixer/monitors, and my Yamaha SY85 synth. I’ve got another smaller desk I’ve used for my electribes, and my in need of repair 505. I know I should just probably invest in a decent keyboard stand, but my room is crowded as it is. Ideally I want the MPC to perhaps replace my 505, but I could use some sort of setup for my Volcas, and ST224, DR/SP202.

Just been busy with work, so I need to decide when I’ll make the time to set it up right.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:21 pm 

Not ALL blue MPC's had the issue. Apparently you can tell by the serial number if it's a model that has pad issues. Either way, it's fixable, just a matter of if you are willing to take the risk.

& I don't know Headphones........do what you wanna do......but there are MPC's on ebay that look good for $400 - $450........ that's over $200 less. & if there ends up being any type of issue (same can happen with the $650 MPC) at least you saved a few hundred dollars & it wouldn't be horrible if you had to put a little money into it.

I can't say shit tho.....I paid $700 for mine :wink:
Even tho it's mint with a warranty, I still felt I over paid. But at the time it was worth it to me.

Edit - I just saw that you don't have $400....... if they are allowing you to make payments, that makes sense. Play now pay later :)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:41 pm 

Headphones wrote:

Because most people on Craigslist/Reverb/eBay won’t take payments???

Just a heads up you can buy things on ebay and use a payment system through paypal, now.

for example:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/AKAI-MPC1000-S ... SwZGpbINcH

look where it says "payments" paypal credit. Paypal is going to pay for the item and you are going to payoff paypal (at a price).

Plus the last thing you want is to spend $650 from a small shop, have an issue with the unit and have them pull some bullsh*t like they can only give you store credit for the return or all sales are final. Stores like that you only want to pay half what the item is worth as you are the one taking the risk.

Good Luck, I'm trying to grab one of these as well as I have heard nothing but great things about the unit.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:35 pm 

I'll add that you can start a relationship with zzounds.com with a three payment plan, then they will move you to a twelve payment plan after you've established credit work them. No credit check. I've had good results with them on some great gear. I realize you can't get an mpc1k from them but you could get to a12 pay for the live.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:49 pm 

I will see if it’s even there Friday, and they want 25% down which is $175. So if it’s meant to be, I’ll start the layaway. But before I do that, I’ll sit with it, ask them questions (especially why it’s so high), and if it was upgraded or just basic stock. It wasn’t a blue/red model, but I have no clue if it was a custom face plate or paint job. Screen looked fine. I’ll see how it goes down & let you all know.