It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:50 pm

Post subject: 5ive0h5ive
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:13 am 

What's up guys, figure I should start by introducing myself and contributing to this wonderful forum in a positive way. Recently picked up a 505 after working almost exclusively Ableton since I parted ways with my mpc 2k some years ago. I missed this shit mane, lol. Software is definitely a different beast with it's own advantages and limitations, but ya cant beat the feel of mashin pads hah. Anyway, imma get back at it, big ups to all y'all still rocking with the forum and sharing all the info!

Post subject: Re: 5ive0h5ive
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:59 am 

no doubt . 505 got a good 4 part sequencer ..drop in .. drop out . i've not used it much recently .. but a good basis for building tracks

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 5:34 pm 

Mine is in need of repair, but I’ll never part with it. If it can’t get fixed, I can just sample through the MIC input.

But I’ll definitely look out for a 2nd one now...

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 6:41 pm 

Agreed, the 4 track may seem limiting coming from other sequencers as I've seen some people say. But I can't lie, I love this machine haha. Opened up an entirely different way of setting up my tracks. Glad I decided to cop one forsure.

And that's a bummer mane, hopefully ya can get it fixed or find one on the low low. I ended up paying close to 300 to get one in the US in good condition but that's fairly uncommon compared to what they normally go for. Don't regret it tho :)

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 6:49 pm 

I suppose a SP303 is just a 505 without a screen, and other missing features, but I feel they’re like a Devito/Schwarenegger Twins kinda thing.

But yeah, I also need to score a 555 one of these days. My job pays bi weekly now, so maybe by June, that could happen.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 7:37 pm 

the 303 has record external while resampling (so heard) . opens up an all in 1 possibility . just keep re dubbing

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 5:55 pm 

Yeah I feel ya, I looked at the 555 and was considering grabbing one, but wanted to cop the 505 for the 303 similarity while still having a screen. My only other experience with the Sp fam was with my homies 404, and had a bitch of a time tryna navigate without a menu. Now that I've had some time to get acquainted with the setup and general feel of the Sp line, considering buying his 404 or maybe a 303. Idk tho haha, another homie offered to part with his Mpc 1k for a steal but I'd have to fix it up a bit.. so conflicted lol.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 6:20 pm 

alot of options . depends on price of the 1k i guess n the parts you need . best thing is to watch as many vids as you can of each equipt to see which 1 looks most appealing to your workflow .

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 12:00 am 

@THEGREAT solid advice mane, thank you. Been indulging in a lot of gear-centric vids and it's a hard decision to make, luckily I have quite a bit time to make my mind up. To quote my homie with the 1k, "And on certain functions it freezes. It's a fixer upper forsure man so by no means in mint condition haha", the context of our convo was basically me asking what was wrong with it as far as he knew and after mentioning the pads needing to be replaced he said that. He got offline a while after and I spaced out on asking him if it was at random or particular functions. Gonna have to inquire, but he offered it up for 200 bucks, so I'm having a hard time making up my mind lol.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 10:25 am 

Drew-P-Dawg wrote:
but wanted to cop the 505 for the 303 similarity while still having a screen.

hi
303 and 505 are different
the 303 is more on the 404/202 field: more "immediate", more in your face kind of approach: everything in the face of the machine.
505 is more "studio" piece: to edit samples and sequence them you have more options but you have to dive into menus. Yet, you have automatic chop option and a kind of pitch function (plus the 4 tracks) wich makes the machine a sort of thing of its own. You have also midi clock and midi notes send/receive (a bit contorted the last ones) if you are into midi

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 8:11 am 

^

good breakdown of the differences EllaGuru 8)

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 11:10 am 

THEGREAT wrote:
^

good breakdown of the differences EllaGuru 8)

thanks man :)

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 12:22 am 

Thanks @ellaguru for the info! I wanna scoop up a 303 for that perfect pairing with the 505, but the cash flow is a little less than flow-y lately unfortunately. But hopefully soon I can start adding members to the sp family I wanna put together eventually.
Idk if it's like this for anyone else for anyone who has or had a 505, but sometimes I feel like the screen and menu diving fucks with my flow a little. Don't get me wrong, I love this machine, but I've always been a 'chop by ear/feel' kinda guy. And lately I've been spending hella time tryna get my chops perfect and throwing zoomable wavelength editing into it... Goddamn. haha. Straight up hours spent trying to chop breaks and drums perfectly.. anybody got any tips for that? Always been a bit closer to obsessive than I'd like to admit, especially with music related stuff.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 10:10 am 

^ yo .. agreed . screen vs ear certainly brings differeng results . on drums though.. it makes a massive difference (in a good way for sure)