It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:00 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: useful VSTs i've used
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:21 pm 

:| :| :| :| :| :roll:

Last edited by 444 on Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:27 pm 

When I first got into beat making, actually for the first year or so, I thought analog synths were over rated..... but the more research I did & the more analog synths I heard I began to understand a bit. Then actually owning a few analog synths & experimenting with them completely changed my mind & I no longer feel they're over rated. There are a ton of analog sounds, just like there are a ton of digital sounds.

I have Monark & I can totally tell it's a vst & wouldn't compare it to an analog synth. Again, I haven't heard every vst, but I have never heard a vst that has a certain analog sound (digital synths can get really close to certain analog sounds, but not all analog sounds, IMO, so far that I have heard).

It's a matter of taste & opinion tho. In no way am I saying you don't know what you're talking about, I'm sure you've played with some analog synths & mixed them with other sounds (this was key for me, actually hearing them in the mix). There are a lot of people that prefer digital sounds & I totally get that. I have more digital synths than analog synths. I like both. I just lean towards "organic sounds"........actually I don't know if organic is the right word, as I love electric guitar/piano/bass.....& analog synths...... I guess I just PREFER & tend to lean towards "real" sounds. When a sound is sparkling clean or for example, if a brass vst doesn't sound like a REAL trumpet, it's just not my taste. It's hard for me to explain exactly.

Too be honest I would LOVE to find some vst instruments that I really like. I read thru this thread & wrote down all the suggestions, gonna start researching them.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:40 pm 

my guy is super into vulfpeck the band and was showing me a video that breaks down how theyre literally just digitally emulating the 303 vinyl sim compressor... its a cool vid you guys have prolly seen it, but I felt so proud to show him my 303 like "dude see this electronic sampler shit isn't totally worthless" (all my musical friends are traditional rock band types)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:55 pm 

:lol: :lol:

Last edited by 444 on Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:44 pm 

Hard to replicate a real analog synth. Universal Audio made an emulation of moog's 4 pole ladder filter... Native Instruments tried to emulate the oscillators of the Minimoog... but nobody can emulate that synth in its entirety.
Based on the music i heard using these mono synths and now being an owner of one.. they create a certain tone that can not be duplicated and adds some oomph to your sound.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:05 pm 

Yea, totally agree thesisdrs.....they have a specific tone & thickness.

Thanks Dookie, I'll check out slate digital. I think another reason I haven't heard a vst I really like is I haven't paid good money for one.

The only vst I've bought is IRIS 2 & it's a sampler vst. I got it half off & I like how you can mess with samples differently than the average sampler. I like it a lot.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:13 pm 

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Last edited by 444 on Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:55 pm 

dookie wrote:
at the end of the day, if it sounds good to you that's all that really matters. the person listening usually doesn't really care what gear was used. the tools are just a means to make music. Yes, a $3500 minimoog will sound better than any raw vst. but i can't drop the monies for a minimoog or any analog synth worth the money. so there are more economical ways to get an "analog" sound that is close enough to the real thing where the difference is negligible. The experience of using certain instruments can be inspring tho, but is it worth 3G's?

Oh yea, def agree, especially "if it sounds good to you that's what matters".

Basically I'm just saying once I actually bought an analog synth & used them in my beats I fully understood what all the talk was about. & I've heard a lot of analog synths that sound completely different, not all analog sounds the same just like not all digital sounds the same.

I have a $110 Volca Kick and a $200 Ms-20 mini, both are analog, both sound completely different, both are CHEAP & both sound GREAT. Not all analog is expensive. Of course the more you spend the "nicer" the sound......just like vst's........& anything else.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:56 pm 

i have tried abunch of synth vsts in the past and then they just sat on the computer. i get really frustrated bc most you cannot adjust the parameters and play in real time.
and clicking on tiny knobs trying to fine tune it feels funky to me.
then i bought a microkorg and didnt really take to it like i thought i would. it has some degree of menu diving and the keys are pretty toy like\ light plastic. now after 6 month or so i am getting around using it more n more and loving it.

i think u can make anything work through lots of time.
practice. experimentation . so i pass no judgement on vsts\hardware synth

buying hardware synth is a money hole though bc there seems to be more synths than samplers :D
i always wanted a go to synth or plugin for basslines.
haved found that yet. eyeing novation bassstation for now

~shooby~

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:45 pm 

:| :wink: :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:13 pm 

dookie wrote:
zendan wrote:

listening to 70s jazz shit with analog synths (especially like some jazz fusion shit) makes me drool over the depth, warmth, color, presence of real analog synths compared to digital plugins for DAW...
IF ONLY I HAD THE FUCKING MONEY FOR SOM LIKE THAT

I think analog synths are overrated. There are nice sounding vsts like Uhe Diva and native instruments Monark. It would be very hard to hear the difference between vsts and analog synths.

On the other hand, having a real analog synth makes it easier to get the sound you want right off he bat. Vsts require some finessing.

Also I felt that most analog synths have a limited sound pallet.

I still want to own a minimoog some day tho....

i'm sorry; you're wrong.

IIIII wrote:
he can turn water into a beat, and feed a thousand dancehalls with only two drumbreaks

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:58 pm 

I have a microkorg too, I like it.......for digital it can get dirty.
I like to mix sounds from different places....
I was about to post a beat I made with the PO33/K.O., Microkorg, Volca Kick & vinyl, but I jacked this thread enough.

I need to change my name to Hi-Jack.

QUOTE: It would be very hard to hear the difference between vsts and analog synths. On the other hand, having a real analog synth makes it easier to get the sound you want right off the bat. Vsts require some finessing. Also I felt that most analog synths have a limited sound pallet.

I personally don't have an "easier" time getting the sound I want out of an analog synth.... well they're all different, but on my Ms-20 mini there isn't any presets to start from & you have to KNOW what you're doing to get a sound you want...like REALLY know......patching cables & the slightest move of a knob can drastically change the sound. Plus it has it's own sound, I can only make it do so much.

& I would be REALLY interested to hear sound examples of VST's that sound analog. Even if you had to REALLY finesse it & add a ton of effects....... I'm being genuine, I love gettin my mind blown!

I've gotten close running an Electribe drum synth thru an Analog Heat..... but I ran it thru an "Analog" Heat.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:35 am 

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:46 am 

:lol: :lol:

Last edited by 444 on Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:23 am 

bro dookie you're just wrong, like i don't even have to explain. but you can think you're right if you want i'm coolin no beef or nun dog. i never said you can't make music that sounds good with all digital shits tho!!! it's just not the same homie :wink: :wink:

IIIII wrote:
he can turn water into a beat, and feed a thousand dancehalls with only two drumbreaks

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next