It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:15 pm

Post subject: Re: I need a detailed Vinyl Sim comparison.
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:12 pm 

Thanks heaps for these details.

That's interesting to know that you would keep the 808 over the others. Is that for the whole vibe of it over the others? Or other reasons?

Yeah, resampling is the way to go! I'm curious, any idea where the compressor is placed in the 303/404og vinyl sim? Ie. Before all vinyl effects... after all vinyl fx... or possibly even between two different vinyl fx... So like, wow, comp, crackle or something...

Your set up sounds very interesting workflow... Just listening to your tunes on SoundCloud, sounds really cool! You clearly know your SPs... Yeah, I'm interested in the SP workflow, it's just a matter of time I feel like I would have to invest when I'm pretty happy with the op1 workflow coupled with Ableton... But I'm always open to new workflows, maybe I'm missing out on something good, haha

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:28 pm 

Also, wondering if your 808 has zip disk or HDD / SD mod?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:12 pm 

Location: Out the back.Im digging up the yard and spying on the devil
l i f wrote:
If forced to choose between the 808 and 303, I would choose the 808 in a heartbeat.

Sure the 808 vinyl SIM isn't paired with a compressor, but it has several compression patches to choose from which imo are superior.compression patches to choose from which imo are superior to the stock compressors I have on my 555,303 and 404 sx .

Yeah, SP808 hands down in my opinion also.

@ lif
As LudicrouSpeed mentioned I'd also be interested to know if you still use Zip Discs or have converted your 808 to run on other media.

I've been thinking of trying to get my old 808 up and running again recently so any information on this would be greatly appreciated.

https://soundcloud.com/user-58305257

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:42 pm 

Mine runs the zip disc.

The one I'm using is my second 808. My original one died from non-stop regular use between 1999 & 2017. Looked hardcore into HD solutions but ended up trying out a hella lotta secondhand zip drives. Nightmare.

Beginning of 2017 I found an 808 listed for sale for real cheap and was technically older than my own but in barely used condition. It has the original zip but works with zero problems. Over the years I think it was a case of using corrupted zip discs that fucked my original drive. I've learnt from my mistakes.

Why do I like it so much?
Where to start? Top of the list is probably

1. Pad-play. The size/number/proximity/response and feel of the pads. And the hold button works completely differently from other sp's. Put a pad on hold, hit the pad again and it re-triggers, unlike all my other sp's that cut off the sample when it's on hold. All this makes my 808 feel more like a playable instrument than all my other sp's.
I remember once seeing a you-tube demo where the guy claimed the pads on the 808 triggered late compared to other samplers. I call bullshit on this.

2. Four-pad stereo resample.

3. Vari-pitch/Bpm tune. Pitch mach samples with real-pitch and easily beatmatch to acapellas etc.

4. Dual inputs & dual outputs and line-in resample. 303 has ext-source resample but you need to hit the pad before you can allow the ext-source signal in by hitting the ext-source button as soon as you can afterward. 808 can have the line-in in your ears beforehand... actually a huge advantage.

Nah, I could go on, but the 808's advantages outweigh it's disadvantages.
I havn't even mentioned the multitracker/step-sequencer (cause I never use it) but user drmnaga78 is a master of this..

SP-808 | SP-202 | SP-303 | SP-555 | SP-404sx | OP-1 | Ableton 10 | Tascam 244 | Adobe Audition 1.5

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:02 am 

l i f wrote:
Mine runs the zip disc.

The one I'm using is my second 808. My original one died from non-stop regular use between 1999 & 2017. Looked hardcore into HD solutions but ended up trying out a hella lotta secondhand zip drives. Nightmare.

Beginning of 2017 I found an 808 listed for sale for real cheap and was technically older than my own but in barely used condition. It has the original zip but works with zero problems. Over the years I think it was a case of using corrupted zip discs that fucked my original drive. I've learnt from my mistakes.

Why do I like it so much?
Where to start? Top of the list is probably

1. Pad-play. The size/number/proximity/response and feel of the pads. And the hold button works completely differently from other sp's. Put a pad on hold, hit the pad again and it re-triggers, unlike all my other sp's that cut off the sample when it's on hold. All this makes my 808 feel more like a playable instrument than all my other sp's.
I remember once seeing a you-tube demo where the guy claimed the pads on the 808 triggered late compared to other samplers. I call bullshit on this.

2. Four-pad stereo resample.

3. Vari-pitch/Bpm tune. Pitch mach samples with real-pitch and easily beatmatch to acapellas etc.

4. Dual inputs & dual outputs and line-in resample. 303 has ext-source resample but you need to hit the pad before you can allow the ext-source signal in by hitting the ext-source button as soon as you can afterward. 808 can have the line-in in your ears beforehand... actually a huge advantage.

Nah, I could go on, but the 808's advantages outweigh it's disadvantages.
I havn't even mentioned the multitracker/step-sequencer (cause I never use it) but user drmnaga78 is a master of this..

Thanks so much for this info, somehow I didn't get an email re: your response...

I had a little play with my new sp808ex, and I immediately fell in love with some of the chorus type effects, they had a beautiful grittiness to them, quite unique... However, I'm finding the interface daunting as hell... It took me a while just to figure out how to activate / change fx... I'm considering if I should hold onto her, or try to flip for an OG 404 or 303... Cause my main game here is to have a quickly workable vinyl sim, and I find that without the comp, it's not quite there, yeah I know I can resample, & I trust from your feedback & experience that via resampling you can achieve brilliant results, but I dunno if it's the right fit for me right now.

If anyone's interested, some helpful users over at the OP-1 forums have offered to run some samples through different vinyl sims so that myself and future interested parties have an easy place to compare...

Original samples -

http://www.mediafire.com/?2wjb6v9schlz3

Any newly processed samples can be dropped here -

http://www.mediafire.com/filedrop/filed ... 6b60a251d2

Anyone wanting to hear the processed samples can go here -

http://www.mediafire.com/folder/vby9702 ... parison_fx

The og404 vinyl sim just sounds super dialed in for an immediate vinyl sim sound, so I'm not 100% sure what to do just yet, haha. Your love for the 808 makes me wanna persevere, but I'm time poor at the moment, so it might be a future thing, as I can't afford to keep it, and get an og404 or 303...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:36 pm 

Danswift wrote:
Unless you're talking Hip Hop in its absolute purist form, as in one dude cutting up records on two turntables then effects have been used in the creation of Hip Hop recordings in the studio since day one

Shoot, I'm sure they used effects back then too

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:05 pm 

fushou. wrote:
404og and 303 pretty much on par execpt the 303 sounds slightly more grittier do to the different machinery inside the two pieces. the 404 sx doesnt have a comp on its vinyl sim like the OG and 303. the 505 is pretty much an upgraded 303.

Really? I thought at least there was a fixed ratio.... something like side chain filtering on compressor plugins

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:41 am 

Thanks for all of the advice. I went with the 404 OG. I've watched tons of videos & listened to a bunch of albums that utilize it. I hope when it comes in, it's everything I'm hoping for.

SP-404 OG & SX | XW-PD1 | RM1X | DN-S5000 | Acid Pro | NI Komplete | Cool Edit | T-RackS 24

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:03 am 

digitaljosh wrote:
Thanks for all of the advice. I went with the 404 OG. I've watched tons of videos & listened to a bunch of albums that utilize it. I hope when it comes in, it's everything I'm hoping for.

best choice!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: excited for you bro <3

IIIII wrote:
he can turn water into a beat, and feed a thousand dancehalls with only two drumbreaks