It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:34 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 161 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: learning about compressors
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:05 pm 

LoopmantrA wrote:
zendan wrote:
why wouldn't you just record them at the volume you want them to be at in the finished product???
a compressor isn't for evening out the volume levels; it's about dynamics, the way the sounds of each instrument affect each other.

First off, you can NEVER know at what level your instrument is going to 'sit' in the final mix, too many variables, and it's a general rule of thumb to record as loud as possible (to get the best signal to noise ratio) with all the frequency recorded, because it's better to take down those you don't need, then to boost something that wasn't even recorded in the first place.
Also by boosting frequency, you add hiss and possibly phase shift (if you're using mics without managing the distance between them and the sound source

Compression IS NOT about dynamics, compression is KILLING dynamics (that is, if you're not using it properly, have a poor compressor, or don't have a clue about what it does, and you just crank the knobs hoping miracle will happen) because it evens out the signals.

http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/for ... 7-36421937

http://www.ovnilab.com/articles/killedmytone.shtml

https://www.musicradar.com/tuition/tech ... ion-574533

Definition of compression :
"Dynamic range compression (DRC) or simply compression is an audio signal processing operation that reduces the volume of loud sounds or amplifies quiet sounds thus reducing or compressing an audio signal's dynamic range."

REDUCING AN AUDIO SIGNAL'S DYNAMIC RANGE. Get it?

Once again you prove you have no idea what you're talking about, but still somehow think you know best.

dude, you're trying to correct me but you're agreeing with me. are you stupid? i just said compression is about dynamics. you said compression is about killing dynamics. yes so fucking what nigga? both of these statements are TRUE. get off your high horse trying to act smarter than me over a technicality of the way i'm speaking. what the fuck do you think the title means? dynamic range compression. it literally compresses the dynamic range. dynamics are the difference in audio levels throughout the mix. i'm not fucking stupid man. i'm probably a better producer than you. niggas need to quit talking down to me. fucking plebeians

i wish i could catch you in real life so you could catch these fucking hands.
you're a stuck up prick and you should shut the fuck up.

IIIII wrote:
he can turn water into a beat, and feed a thousand dancehalls with only two drumbreaks

Last edited by zindan on Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:07 pm 

LoopmantrA wrote:

First off, you can NEVER know at what level your instrument is going to 'sit' in the final mix, too many variables

oh yeah dude? if i'm in FL STUDIO and i have a SNARE HIT on a loop routed to channel 2 in the mixer, I CAN'T TELL WHAT VOLUME IT IS????

you're a fucking idiot, and you need to quit talking man. seriously do not reply to my posts again.

IIIII wrote:
he can turn water into a beat, and feed a thousand dancehalls with only two drumbreaks

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:09 pm 

"it's not about dynamics, it's about killing dynamics. ha ha blah blah you're dumb aff hahaha lol ur mom gay"

IIIII wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:11 pm 

SP RT FKN wrote:
zendan wrote:

nah, clipping is good on tape if you know what you're doing

tape compression when you don't know what gain setting even is sums up all lofi dudes. There's probably a vst or 10 for that

nigga just because i don't know what the fucking word for something is you think i don't know what i'm doing???

GOD the arrogance of the people in this forum never ceases to amaze me.

you do understand half of the great jazz artists from the 60s and 70s DIDN'T KNOW HOW TO READ SHEET MUSIC?

fool, you fuckers can act high and mighty over me all you fucking want with your technical terms and knit picking the way i fucking express my knowledge. in the end, none of you fuckers are even as good as i am at mixing/mastering. if so, where's your fucking numbers at nigga? where's your fans? if you're good at what you do, shouldn't other people think so??

IIIII wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:13 pm 

andy wrote:
zendan wrote:
andy wrote:

Did anyone actually watch the video lol?

nah i think i know all i need to know about compression so i didn't watch

btw your explanation right here doesn't really make sense:
andy wrote:
If you want to record instruments or tracks with contrasting volumes, a compressor can help normalize the sound so you have a more even recording.

why wouldn't you just record them at the volume you want them to be at in the finished product???
a compressor isn't for evening out the volume levels; it's about dynamics, the way the sounds of each instrument affect each other.

Bro do yourself a favor and watch the video... it’s free and the dude explaining is legit.

You don’t know everything... and spreading misinformation.

I made this thread so people here who didnt know will know the basics of what a compressor is and its basic functions.

Everyone please if you don’t really understand compressors it’s a quick video and very easy to digest. I’m only trying to share knowledge from credible sources... don’t understand why people even comment on a thread about a video without even watching the video lol.

w/e your loss

TELL ME WHAT THE FUCK I SAID WRONG NIGGA. WHAT MISINFORMATION?

IIIII wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:14 pm 

idiots.

IIIII wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:18 pm 

LoopmantrA wrote:

First off, you can NEVER know at what level your instrument is going to 'sit' in the final mix, too many variables, and it's a general rule of thumb to record as loud as possible (to get the best signal to noise ratio) with all the frequency recorded, because it's better to take down those you don't need, then to boost something that wasn't even recorded in the first place.
Also by boosting frequency, you add hiss and possibly phase shift (if you're using mics without managing the distance between them and the sound source

Compression IS NOT about dynamics, compression is KILLING dynamics (that is, if you're not using it properly, have a poor compressor, or don't have a clue about what it does, and you just crank the knobs hoping miracle will happen) because it evens out the signals.

http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/for ... 7-36421937

http://www.ovnilab.com/articles/killedmytone.shtml

https://www.musicradar.com/tuition/tech ... ion-574533

Definition of compression :
"Dynamic range compression (DRC) or simply compression is an audio signal processing operation that reduces the volume of loud sounds or amplifies quiet sounds thus reducing or compressing an audio signal's dynamic range."

REDUCING AN AUDIO SIGNAL'S DYNAMIC RANGE. Get it?

Once again you prove you have no idea what you're talking about, but still somehow think you know best.

37 year old, no life, midlife crisis, picking on a kid when himself all he's doing is literally trying to one up me over the way i expressed myself (ur mom gay argue tactics), sorry ass bitch.

i wonder how it feels to be such a loser at 37 that you still get on forums and talk shit to kids

IIIII wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:22 pm 

SP RT FKN wrote:
zendan wrote:

nah, clipping is good on tape if you know what you're doing

tape compression when you don't know what gain setting even is sums up all lofi dudes. There's probably a vst or 10 for that

god you must be stupid man. you know people mastering shit in the 70s would run their drums hot into tape just like what i'm saying? are you going to try to tell me clipping on tape is bad??? because that's one of the most advantageous things about it.

it blows my fucking mind how people aren't correcting my knowledge, they're just trying to tell me i'm wrong by the technicalities in the way i'm speaking or my knowledge of trivial vocabulary.

what a joke

IIIII wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:33 pm 

this is the last time i try to offer my technical knowledge to the forum. obviously there are hostile people here who think they're the only ones with any useful information to give, ready to attack at any moment. what a healthy creative learning environment !!!!

IIIII wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:50 pm 

:lol: :lol:

Last edited by 444 on Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:51 pm 

to the people who think i know nothing about compression, this is off the top of my head, no references in front of me

THRESHOLD

the audio level at which the compression algorithm will be triggered. this is the baseline basically. audio that exceeds the level you set it at will be compressed, or lowered in volume, but in order for this to happen, it has to duck out everything that's quieter than it as well. that's just the way compression works! when something loud exceeds the threshold, it brings everything else down under it.

RATIO

this has to do with what happens at the threshold level. this controls how much the sound will be affected when it hits the threshold level. the higher the ratio, the more gain reduction. the lower the ratio, the less. consider the higher ratios i.e. 25:1 to be hard compression or limiting and the lower ratios i.e. 3:1 to be a very subtle compression of the dynamic range.

ATTACK

this is the control of how quickly in time the compression algorithm reacts. the attack value is going to control the length of time it takes to REDUCE audio levels whenever LOUD sounds hit the threshold trigger. the longer the attack phase, the longer audio will be ducked out after a hard kick hits the mix, but like dynamically. so it's essentially taking longer for the sound to reach the level it is to be compressed to. vice versa for a short attack phase.

RELEASE

release is the time it takes for the ducked off audio levels that just got hit from the attack phase to return back to their normal, uncompressed level. the longer you set your release time, the longer sound will be ducked off from hard hits. and vice versa for setting the release time shorter.

GAIN

if you set a threshold in which all sound above it gets reduced, in the end the volume of the final product would be reduced, right? this is why we need gain to make up for the loudness lost. gain is just amplification, how much louder you need your mix to be after it gets compressed.

there you go, assholes. compression for dummies.

IIIII wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:05 pm 

Listen you little shitty numbnuts - FYI I have 5 CDs and 3 live DVDs with three different bands, and since I own a studio, I also record and produce for others.
Been on the road for 17 years straight, everything from clubs to big festivals, and if you wanna measure dicks - I'll happily oblige by sending you YouTube links to videos, and live performances of my bands, where you can see for yourself all about one million viewers, compared to your 50 tops followers. Also full discography, just say the word bitch.

What's your biggest attendance, Zendan? Have you ever performed somewhere on your own, and had people come listen to ya?
One of my bands holds the record for the biggest attendance on Fusion Stage (that's Exit festival) - 12.000 people came to see US.

So shut your punny li'l trapmouth bitch.

And don't gimme the 'technicality' routine, you keep acting like you're a know - it - all, when in fact you're a beginner, and you talk down to people.

I don't remember insulting, or swearing - but since monkey only understands basic monkey language YOU CAN GET DOWN ON YOUR KNEES AND SUCK MY COCK you fragile incomplete junkie ass dildo.

What you said was wrong, PERIOD.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:07 pm 

LoopmantrA wrote:
Listen you little shitty numbnuts - FYI I have 5 CDs and 3 live DVDs with three different bands, and since I own a studio, I also record and produce for others.
Been on the road for 17 years straight, everything from clubs to big festivals, and if you wanna measure dicks - I'll happily oblige by sending you YouTube links to videos, and live performances of my bands, where you can see for yourself all about one million viewers, compared to your 50 tops followers. Also full discography, just say the word bitch.

What's your biggest attendance, Zendan? Have you ever performed somewhere on your own, and had people come listen to ya?
One of my bands holds the record for the biggest attendance on Fusion Stage (that's Exit festival) - 12.000 people came to see US.

So shut your punny li'l trapmouth bitch.

And don't gimme the 'technicality' routine, you keep acting like you're a know - it - all, when in fact you're a beginner, and you talk down to people.

I don't remember insulting, or swearing - but since monkey only understands basic monkey language YOU CAN GET DOWN ON YOUR KNEES AND SUCK MY COCK you fragile incomplete junkie ass dildo.

What you said was wrong, PERIOD.

dude it's not your music. you're taking pride in mastering for someone else ? lmao that's funny bro. you're just taking someone's shit and applying the math part. they did all the real work.

link me bro. don't just talk shit and not back it.

yes i've done my own show once, and a booking agent just seeked me out for another show at the end of may. both in deep ellum downtown dallas

you were the only one talking down idiot. like i said before, i said "compression has to do with dynamics"
you said
"NO DUMBASS, compression has to do with REDUCING dynamics"
and this was the only point you were trying to get over on me

you do understand this is like if i were to say "the holocaust was about the jews" and you were to tell me i'm wrong then proceed to try to correct me by saying "NO IDIOT, the holocaust was about KIILLLLIIINNNGGGG the jews you fucking moron you don't know what the fuck you're talking about !!!!"

IIIII wrote:

Last edited by zindan on Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:09 pm 

No IT IS music idiot
I played the bass
I arranged, recorded, produced. Get the picture?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:10 pm 

LoopmantrA wrote:
No IT IS music idiot
I played the bass
I arranged, recorded, produced. Get the picture?

oh, you play in all these bands on bass ok very talented guy here playing the bass for these bands. i bet you write all the songs and lyrics ahahahaha

link me or quit talking shit dumbass

IIIII wrote:

Last edited by zindan on Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 161 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next