It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:47 pm

Post subject: HTRK
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:26 am 

Hello everyone,
New to the forum & the SP’s as well. I just recently bought a SP-404A after seeing HTRK use an SX quite a bit in their live set. Are there any fans of HTRK here? They’ve done some interesting things in their earlier days with noise and worked with Rowland S. Howard on one of their albums but as of lately they’ve shifted to a more electronic, atmospheric & ambient vibe. They have plans of releasing new material soon and Jonnine has been working on her solo album as well as interesting projects like virtual reality experiences that incorporate soundscapes. I definitely recommend you guys check out their work especially their latest album Psychic 9-5 Club.
Some have noted that for that particular album it may take a couple listens before you can really appreciate it because it was so different from their previous sound. If there are any other fans here it would be cool to talk about their work, share similar samples and techniques that they may use, etc. Really inspired by them ;)

Their stuff:
Wikipedia
Official site

Last edited by TheMoonshiner on Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject: Re: HTRK
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:11 am 

you know the funny thing about the sp404a is it's the exact same thing as the SX with a different paintjob ahahaha

they released it to promote the AIRA TR-8 as midi compatible with it, to sell more 404s

i'm p sure they cost the same tho so its all good i guess lmao

i got my 404sx lightly used for 400

IIIII wrote:
he can turn water into a beat, and feed a thousand dancehalls with only two drumbreaks

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:25 am 

pfft, once you have the Roland UM-ONE you can sequence whatever you want with the SP. You would need a CPU though.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:34 am 

thesisdrs wrote:
pfft, once you have the Roland UM-ONE you can sequence whatever you want with the SP. You would need a CPU though.

but fr though read the description of the sp404a on the roland website!!!! it talks about the tr8 smh.

IIIII wrote:
he can turn water into a beat, and feed a thousand dancehalls with only two drumbreaks

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:53 am 

Maybe it's a big deal for some. I could read just to get insight... but I don't care enough to actually read it. I like my setup and don't intend to get a compatible beat machine.

If this person with the 404A wants to use the TR8 then you showed him the resource. everyone wins.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:59 am 

That’s why I said I got the SP404a after I saw them use the sx. I know they’re the same. The SX is discontinued and the shop near me had the A for cheaper than the SX at another store. That’s the reason why I got it. But enough of that, it’s off topic and has already been discussed many times in other threads.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:07 am 

TheMoonshiner wrote:
That’s why I said I got the SP404a after I saw them use the sx. I know they’re the same. The SX is discontinued and the shop near me had the A for cheaper than the SX at another store. That’s the reason why I got it. But enough of that, it’s off topic and has already been discussed many times in other threads.

how much did you pay?

IIIII wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:09 am 

and well shit, if you need me to talk about the topic, i don't like their music at all lol.... :oops: :oops: :oops:

IIIII wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:10 am 

i can tell by listening to a couple of their songs they like to use synth drums, so if you like that, buy a drum synthesizer/sequencer like a roland tr8

IIIII wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:29 am 

Welcome to the SP-Forums. :D Where every thread goes off topic.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:09 am 

404a is dope as fuck. Just as good as the SX, but with a fucking dope paintjob. Get some anime slaps on that shit, gonna look fire yo.

SP-303
SP-303SX
SP-202A

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:55 am 

well congrats on your purchase . and welcome to the SP Forums

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:32 pm 

HUNGRYMAN wrote:
Welcome to the SP-Forums. :D Where every thread goes off topic.

SP RT FKN wrote:
404a is dope as fuck. Just as good as the SX, but with a fucking dope paintjob. Get some anime slaps on that shit, gonna look fire yo.

THEGREAT wrote:
well congrats on your purchase . and welcome to the SP Forums

Thanks guys! Happy to be part of the forum. I've been snooping around here for a while so I'm aware of the type of behaviour to expect from particular members hahaha.

If anyone is interested in Jonnine's VR project here's the link:
https://www.ghosttrain.com.au

I'm in Canada so I didn't get a chance to experience it myself but the whole idea seems interesting. She also posted a soundtrack on SoundCloud:

https://soundcloud.com/careful_listen/4-jonnine-standish-ghost-trains

Quote:
Member of HTRK and co-creative director of the VR-enhanced Ghost Train, Jonnine Standish utilises episode #4 to soundtrack the experiences of thrill, mystery and energy using a series of blended sounds.

In Ghost Trains, old theme park soundtracks, carriage screeches, passenger screams, sparks, sirens and mechanical clanking meld with background audio from a series of long forgotten Instagram stories, all boosted in intensity by an underlying soundtrack of techno and experimental electronic music.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:46 pm 

Congrats on your new SP. The A looks lovely. I dig the new pads, they're like little MPC LIVE pads.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:42 pm 

Ill Green wrote:
Congrats on your new SP. The A looks lovely. I dig the new pads, they're like little MPC LIVE pads.

I love it. I didn't know how useful these things are until I got one. :)