It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:59 pm

Post subject: Re: SP Confessions
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:33 pm 

Sure, was gonna reply in the su10 thread floating about, Im definitely down for something like that. Dunno if calling it a battle is worth it but we should start a thread, drop some samples and make some su-beats

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:24 pm 

i leave my 404sx on 24/7 cus i use it to play my laptop out my monitors. it's a horrible habit.

IIIII wrote:
he can turn water into a beat, and feed a thousand dancehalls with only two drumbreaks

"If you want that '90s sound, record at 12 bit as HOT as you can."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:49 pm 

zendanisdead wrote:
i leave my 404sx on 24/7 cus i use it to play my laptop out my monitors. it's a horrible habit.

I do the same with a MOTU Traveler. :roll: It hasn't died yet.

SP Confessions...

I first bought the SP-303 to play live samples for a death metal band, because laptops were still 3x as much and frowned upon for on stage use. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:18 pm 

I bought my 404 to make boom bap patterns to the songs I write on the geetar and then uke. Only beats I've made is for the BB's here, and if you listen to them you can tell, haha. Still looking to find a way to record the whole song into the 404, vocals and all, I'm close using a looper pedal though.

SP-404SX

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:45 pm 

Ill Green wrote:
Had a SP202, then graduated to an SP505 and an SP303. Then I sold the 505 to buy the SP606. Then when the 555 came out I got tired of the SPs because they all are redundant, one might have a feature over the other, but its the same flow over and over in a new box. I loved Roland, so I gave them another chance with the MV8800 but as supreme as it was, it was clunky and slow (loading tracks can take a whole 5 minutes). I got tired of requesting improvements and updates because we really never got heard by Roland except for that contest they had here many many moons ago.

Today, I am a DJS-1000-head because of Roland's bullshit.

The DJS-1000 looks sick. I’ve read up on it just a bit but haven’t seen a few things noted. Can u tell me how many pad banks each project can hold, how many tracks is the sequencer, and what’s the on board memory situation? Sorry to b a pain. I couldn’t find a clear list of tech specs & maybe ur down to get a little deeper w ur endorsement? 8)

SOUNDCLOUD

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:40 pm 

:D I'm still trying to understand the things of Pioneer, its a different language than the SPs but they are not far apart.

Its pretty much 16 of everything the way I see it. 16 pads to lay 16 samples to 16 tracks that create 16 patterns altering through 16 scenes per project. I think Scenes are the banks to SPs. So to translate the above you get 16 banks of 256 samples if you filled every pad. You can have as many projects you want depending on the size USB stick you put in, I have a 64GB in mine, so its gonna be a long while before I max it out. Its unknown of the max GBs you can stick in there.

Its the baddest machine on the planet. Just imagine if an SP404 can timestretch/pitch tune like a CDJ, edit samples and browse sounds all while the sequencer is playing in real time. You can chop while you are sampling, in fact, you can play the sequence while you sample and chop. Slice is practically Auto-Chop and you can adjust the start and end points of each chop. There is a Ducking FX. Everything is done on the fly and in real time with the DJS. If you can demo one, try it with its internal sounds and spend hours playing with it, you'll figure it out in no time and will see its magic when you really get involved with it. Now this is the King SP I been dreaming about. Its a mix of a Roland SP, Elektron Octatrack and MPC. Intergrates in the most simplest form.

There is a thread in the Other Samplers forum. I explain the good, bad and ugly.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:18 am 

Thanks for the info. I’m definitely intrigued by this thing. I’ll look for that other post u mention. 8)

SOUNDCLOUD

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:55 pm 
Producer of the Year '09 + Tape of the Year '09 + 202 Award Winner '09

After 10 or more years with the SP I just learned about the Gate Mute trick lol!!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:48 pm 

HUNGRYMAN wrote:
HELLOPILLOW wrote:
I often use the battery compartment to store a smart media card

Haha! That is genius.
Ghost Bazz wrote:
I was going to school for graphic design back when Zip disks where still holdin it down. Used them for all our class work... then had stacks and stacks of them at the first agency I worked at. I’ve never had to trip about running out of zips for my 808. 1 of my 2 units has a cf reader... but I actually use the 1 w the zip more. I kindof like throwing around the disks and letting them stack up a bit like I’m surrounded by cassettes or 8-tracks. I love arcane media. Once the readers become obsolete there is no telling what is on that shit. The best place to hide the secret of life would b on a 5” floppy disc.

Zip disks were the shit when they came out. I had a friend that used to give me software back in the win95 days that were spanded across 10-50, 3 1/2" floppies. Get to disk 37 and that bastard would be corrupted. This is probably how I obtained fruity loops v1.0 20 years ago. :lol: You are really ancient if you've ever seen a 8" floppy or the old tape drives that stored more data than a hard drive could.

Yeah dude. I remember the crazy stacks of 3.5” floppies! Those discs were pretty durable. Probably about 4-5 yrs ago I went through the process of updating the eos on a e-mu e4xt which needed to b done on a series of dos formatted 3.5” floppies. I still had a couple discs floating around. Wracked my brain getting that figured out but it was a fun challenge.

SOUNDCLOUD

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:26 pm 

Ghost Bazz wrote:
Yeah dude. I remember the crazy stacks of 3.5” floppies! Those discs were pretty durable. Probably about 4-5 yrs ago I went through the process of updating the eos on a e-mu e4xt which needed to b done on a series of dos formatted 3.5” floppies. I still had a couple discs floating around. Wracked my brain getting that figured out but it was a fun challenge.

Haha! I imagine that was fun, but well worth it.

This thread got so sidetracked. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:54 pm 

LORD BEATJITZU wrote:
After 10 or more years with the SP I just learned about the Gate Mute trick lol!!

gate mute trick ? :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:05 am 

If the sample is in gate mode, when the sequencer is playin the beat & you don't want the sample to play, you tap it right when it's about to play & it won't play.

A sample that is in gate mode will stop playin when you tap it basically......