It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:17 pm

Post subject: Resampling with the 404sx, avoiding feedback loop
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:56 pm 

Can anyone recommend how to hook up audio cables properly and settings to use the 404SX as a resampler coupled with the MPC Live. I'm resampling MPC Live samples into the 404sx. Then Im trying to resample these back into the MPC for sequencing. I'm unable to sample from my smartphone because I've created a feedback loop. As soon as I select"monitor" on the MPC the feedback goes apeshit.

Post subject: Re: Resampling with the 404sx, avoiding feedback loop
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:13 pm 

If you don't have a mixer, you would just plug the outs of the MPC to the in's of the 404sx, then outs of 404sx to speakers or use headphones. Once sampled, change cables around, so outs of 404sx to ins of MPC & outs of MPC to speakers or use headphones.

I use a mixer so I can sample from group outs. That way you don't have to unplug anything, you would just route via the mixer (if it has group outs or aux outs).

If you sample from your phone into the MPC, where are the outs of the MPC going?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:08 pm 

Sharris wrote:
If you don't have a mixer, you would just plug the outs of the MPC to the in's of the 404sx, then outs of 404sx to speakers or use headphones. Once sampled, change cables around, so outs of 404sx to ins of MPC & outs of MPC to speakers or use headphones.

I use a mixer so I can sample from group outs. That way you don't have to unplug anything, you would just route via the mixer (if it has group outs or aux outs).

If you sample from your phone into the MPC, where are the outs of the MPC going?

Thanks for the help. After reading your above post I need a mixer rporate to avoid having to unhook cables. The outs of the MPC were still going into the SP. I'm very interested in the group or aux out method. What mixer do you use? I will pull up a diagram and reference it if you would be generous enough to describe how you have the signal flow running.

Thank you again

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:27 pm 

I use a Yamaha MG12XU, it's 12 channels tho, not sure if you need that many, but they have smaller ones with less channels. I also have an Allen & Heath Xone23 for turntables & gear as well.

What all do you have, just the Live & sx? Only curious as to how big of a mixer you would need. Also do you plan on adding more gear?

There are actually a few different ways to route.......even with 2 mixers I still have to unplug stuff.

UGH....I typed out a long explanation below, but it's hard to explain, even tho it's rather simple once you get your head around it........I'll do my best to explain, but yeah a diagram would help the most.

So basically a mixer with either group outs or aux sends (aux sends can be used for effects as well, like guitar pedals). This way you can plug both the Live & the sx out's into the mixer. Plug the outs of the mixer into your speakers or amp, then you would plug the group outs into the in's of 1 device (like the Live) & aux outs into the sx. There are also tape outs on mixers that work the same way. Then you would route whatever you want to record to the appropriate out....for example you would route the Live to the aux outs that go into the sx, to sample the Live into the sx (you would just push a button on the mixer to route it).

Currently I'm using my aux sends for effects (guitar pedals) so what I do is have the group outs of my mixer ready to go into either the sx, Maschine Mk3, MPC 2500 or MPC 500. & I have 2 plugs to put on the cables since the inputs of the sx are rca & the MPC's are not.

You could also get a patchbay........you would need double the cables, but if you use a patchbay you would plug everything into the patchbay, then route the audio on the front with little patch cables.

Any questions let me know, sorry if it's confusing, I would suggest just doing a little research on mixers. There are a ton of routing possibilities, I mean I've made a ton of spreadsheets to figure out my routing.....but the more gear you have the more complicated it gets.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:37 am 

Sharris thank you. I'm pulling 13 hour days at work. I've followed up on your post and will be borrowing a mixer from a friend this weekend. Researching patchbay and a larger audio interface with more inputs as well. I will update this weekend and thanks again. I'll share more about my gear. Thanks for your time.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:38 pm 

Notice that when using for example the Yamaha MG12XU, it has aux send (mono), but no aux returns. You'll have either to get a mixer with aux returns or sacrifice some channels for that.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:04 pm 

Yeah, no aux returns, I use 2 channels for the guitar pedals. My post isn't filled with all the details & was getting rather long, which is why I suggested doing some research & tried focusing on his current dilemma.

I will say, I thought using both aux outs, together, would make it stereo, but I'm not sure...........I haven't tried using it that way yet. I do use both group outs as "stereo" & I think it sounds fine, but I don't know if it's true stereo .....does anyone know the answer to that? If 2 mono's make it stereo? I assume so, but only assume, I'm curious now if that's actually the case.

& great idea to borrow a mixer first, if you can it's always best to play with something prior to buying, especially if there are features that are a must have.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:56 pm 

Decided to go the patchbay route. It's going to give me the greatest routing flexibility as I understand it. Thanks for your help. I think I will be able to dedicate one patchbay to receive stereo out from audio interface, then normal it, then send that output to any given sampler. My samplers will be like his VHS recorder, tape recorder, ADAT etc. This is really cool because I have a Portastudio and VHS player that get very little use when bouncing down because it's a pain in the ass to constantly unhook cables.

https://youtu.be/8yljFhzAb8E

I think at some point a mixer might come into play.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:54 pm 

I'm glad you found/decided on something, even tho I don't have a patchbay myself, I've been considering one. Signal chain flexibility is it's purpose & it adds convenience, just move around a few patch cables on the front for whatever signal chain you want.
I would've bought one by now, but I already have SOOOO many cables & it would double the amount of cables (of the devices plugged into it). That's my only issue. & it wouldn't replace my mixer, I use it for boosting signals, I use the eq's, the phantom power. BUT every once in a while I have to unplug stuff, which is where the patchbay would come in handy.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:15 pm 

What do you think about the Allen & Heath ZED24? I just came across it. Looks like it was released in 2008.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:56 pm 

I've heard good things about it, I've been doing research on that one as well, been thinking about an upgrade (I like my Yamaha mixer, I just need more channels & routing options).
Allen & Heath mixers in general are supposed to be really good. I really like my Xone23.
Hopefully someone that owns the ZED24 see's your post & can comment on it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:43 pm 

It looks like it has good routing flexibility, USB to send individual tracks to DAW, and several outputs. I'm thinking about hooking up my gear including samplers to each channel, then have individual tracks for them all. I could then record into my DAW. Then take the stereo output CD from audio interface and run this into an insert channel into the mixer. If I understand correctly, this would enable me to send this audio signal back into any of my samplers for resampling, and when I want to play it back I could turn the send down to kill the feedback loop.

Another feature I'm interested in is being able to record the main out into an SD card that is in the mixer. This could be useful but it might be redundant if I can record separate tracks into DAW.

Im almost certain I want a digital mixer that includes a AD converter. The benefit of being able to record individual tracks for each channel of the mixer is to great to overlook I think.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:01 am 

Nice, you've been doin your research :D
I held off buying my first non-dj mixer because everytime I had the money I wanted to buy a synth or sampler or something I could play with. Gear got out of control, always pluging & unpluging, so I cracked down & bought a mixer & it changed everything for me, 1 of my best purchases. I was using gear more & in different ways.
& if you're working a lot, like these 13 hour days you talk of, you just want to make beats, not deal with unpluging cables & routing, ect
If you have the cash, I would go for it.....I'm sure there are other good mixers in that price range (if anyone sees this thread & has suggestions) but I know Allen & Heath wouldn't be a bad choice. They make good quality mixers.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:28 pm 

i made myself an effect order switcher pedal to do this.
u can buy one pretty cheap too but i wanted 2 in one box so i could do stereo.

its completely passive so no power required.

plug one sampler (SP) into the first loop. another sampler (MPC) into the second.

so default goes from input to SP to MPC to output.

hit the switch and now its input to MPC to SP to output.

easy sample flipping between two samplers w/o having to re-hook up cables or deal with a whole mixer situation.

saved a lot of space on my table and i can bring it w/ me to the park or whatever too.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:38 pm 

That's awesome burnt, I'm interested in something like that...... I've never heard of them...... I'm gonna look into it.....

I would REALLY love something that I could use to route the group outs of my mixer to any of my samplers, but not sure if there is anything other than a patchbay that would work.