It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:24 pm

Post subject: holographic sp-404sx stickers
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:09 am 

hello, i made some holographic sp stickers that turned out pretty sweet...
you can find them on etsy if you're interested:
https://www.etsy.com/nl/listing/594173917/cult-roland-sp-404-vinyl-holographic?ref=shop_home_feat_2

Peace!

Post subject: Re: holographic sp-404sx stickers
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:03 am 

yooooooooo..

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:52 pm 

Dude, go for it. There is this girl on youtube, Sarah, she made some clothes with SPs and stuff and I saw some people reposting her designs and stuff. I think that if you try, you can make up some money with these before people bite this "beat lifestyle" that Sarah spoke about in her video announcing the clothes (I really think that people will follow and put out some "beat maker" goodies").

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:00 pm 

These are awesome. I didn't realize anyone could do something like this & sell for profit. Like take an image/logo that I'm sure is copywrited & sell it. Apparently I don't know anything about this stuff.
People can do that?
Not trying to hate, I think the stickers are cool as fuck, just didn't realize people could do that......

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:46 pm 

Hmm well... selling stickers is not some big masterplan to get rich.. (there is hardly any profit margin.) I just make the stickers that i like and that i would stick on my studio gear or laptop. Apparently a lot of people also like them and that's why i started to sell them in small quantities on etsy.
The small amont of money that's left after production costs, shipping, taxes, shipping materials etc. gets invested in new stickers and a few beers. :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:27 pm 

Location: Out the back.Im digging up the yard and spying on the devil
Those stickers are cool !

Keep up the good work dude.. 8)

https://soundcloud.com/user-58305257

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:40 pm 

Not saying it's a big master plan to get rich.
I just didn't realize people could do that.
Put a picture of someone else's product on something & sell it.
Maybe it's like sampling in a way.........was just curious.......

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:55 pm 

Sharris wrote:
Not saying it's a big master plan to get rich.
I just didn't realize people could do that.
Put a picture of someone else's product on something & sell it.

I'm quite sure that you "can't". But it's branding... I don't know if Roland would get pissed by some cats doing the heavy lift on it

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:17 pm 

That makes sense. I get that. Yeah, I saw a vid last night on youtube, I think you were referring to her, that girl Sarah, No Quantize is her brand & there's an sx on some of her shirts & I was thinking damn, you can do that? Then I see these stickers. I've never seen anyone sell something with another companies product on it (I don't get out much either tho), then 2 diff people, 2 days in a row, so it surprised me is all. Got me curious enough to ask.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:12 pm 

Hey super that you guys like my stickers!

This discussion is getting a bit weird though..

Let's say you buy a comic... The story is about some dude driving a mustang chasing a guy in a toyota. They are shooting at each other with guns.. Lets say a glock and an ak... Right before the chase they were in a bar.. one had a stella beer the other a coca cola. In the bar was a jukebox.. They didn't draw a logo on the jukebox, but you can clearly see what model it is and thus guess the brand.
Do you really think the comic book artists need to contact all these brands before they can start printing and selling those books??

I have no clue who invented the donut but i'm sure that Jay Dilla didn't ask for his permission to use it.. :D

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:53 pm 

I'm sorry man & I don't blame you for getting a little defensive, but that's not the same at all. Those products made an appearance in the comic. They weren't what the comic was about.
& a donut isn't a brand.
I have no problem with your stickers, I like them.
Was even thinkin about buyin 1.
I think of forums as a place to discuss & I was genuinely curious, which is why I asked. & who better to ask than someone with experience.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:43 pm 

Actually an sp isn't a brand either but a cult tool.
I am genuinely surprised that you have never seen twists on well known logo's, tools or other imagery that get slapped on t-shirts, stickers, skateboards, cover artwork etc. For example shell/hell logo, monkey che guevara, wu-tang tattoos, andy warhol campbell soup, simpsons mashups, peanuts madvillain posters etc, etc, etc..
It's such a big part of popular culture that it's really bizarre to me that you have missed this.
That's all... didn't want to get defensive or anything.
It's not easy to explain my point of view since english is not my mother language.
What it comes down to is that i believe there is a difference between just copying or taking some cult image and be creative with it to make something new and original. Believe me when i say that i spent enough hours on my computer to make these stickers mate... so no ordinary copying here. Grtz to you.. it's all good.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:13 pm 

Maybe brand was the incorrect word, I don't know.
It's a Roland sp-404sx. Made by Roland.
& there was no read between the lines of anything I said.
Point blank, I didn't realize ANYONE could sell a product, with someone else's product on it. No judgment. Just surprised me.
Apparently I'm ignorant when it comes to this.
Which is why I asked. Hoping to be less ignorant.
& yes, I've seen posters, stickers, t-shirts just thought they were made by the people representing who ever & what ever was on the poster, t-shirt, ect. Even so & whatever the laws may be, I think the reason behind it is important (at least it is to me). You love your sx, you wanted some stickers, you realized other people loved the stickers as well, Roland isn't selling them, why not share it with other people so they can enjoy them to. You're not doing it to make a bunch of money off of Roland's product. & I can tell you def put work into them, they turned out great :D Take care

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:55 am 

You made a nice point using the comic but I think it misses the point. It's an SP404 made by Roland and if you sell it, you are making money by using the aura that the product has and Roland built (the funny fact is that the machine was made famous by who used it, not the brand). So, you are selling it because it's the amazing SP404, you know? If you just made a sticker with the word "sampler" or "sampling", or "sequencer", I don't know, you name it lol, it would not be that appealing, right? You are selling the idea of the SP404.

On the comic, the characters in there would just be bumping on these pop icons, it wouldn't be what was driving the storyline. When it happens, Coca-Cola would be replaced by Rocket Cola or anything like that - just as an example. I'm just trying to share this point of view. I do not believe in these kinds of rights at all... if we apply this logic on a broader sense, no one would be playing guitars, since it's someone's else design, or you would have to pay royalties if you want a guitar tattoo lol. BUT they exist and people force humans to live by them.

As I said, I don't think that Roland would care for some cats doing this branding heavy lift form them and I would buy one of these for sure if I was close to you lol.

Just because I did not press 'submit' yet lol. Think if you were selling something with apple's logo, or a shirt with "Daft Punk" on it. You can do it for sure, but if you start making some money with it, these big ones will for sure reach you asking wtf you are doing lol.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:06 am 

Sharris wrote:

ultra3200 wrote:

I have no clue who invented the donut but i'm sure that Jay Dilla didn't ask for his permission to use it..

forest wrote:
you are making money by using the aura that the product has and Roland built (the funny fact is that the machine was made famous by who used it, not the brand)

Let's be honest. Your sticker feels like overproducing ((: It is great to turn anything into an altar for those that brilliantly used the SP line of samplers but is it following their marks creatively speaking ? If I was to do the same thing, which is producing related goodies to Roland products, I'd just print the Roland logo on shirts and sell it as his, which is far less creative than your endeavour. Speaking of which, I can't find anything with that BOSS logo that is more dope than the Roland one. Somebody mind if we open a contest for overproducing that BOSS logo ? Remember those SEXY logos based on the PEPSI logo. That kind of logo hijacking will be allowed.