It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:51 am

Post subject: Re: The Devaluation of music
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:54 pm 

aim beyond the stars .

network . reach out in person . keep monentum

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:31 am 

Got a lot of work to do based on these comments. I notice instead of spending money to get out there, my focal point was buying the right gear lol

I still want what i want but i got to think strategically

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:22 am 

Today everything is devalued.

The internet and social media has been a disease that is subverting people's subconscious minds.

Nowadays everything is instant, download a movie in 2 minutes, a whole discography of music, look at all the art in the world on instagram, and tutorials for just about everything you could ever want to know are on youtube.

I think now there are less people who spend TIME to master something and be good at it. People can be semi good at things nowadays but understand it less. They want to be famous and have a lot of followers and views and likes straight away. And if they don't get that validation then they drift to something else that will provide it for them. People spend more time pruning their social media profiles and web pages and instagram stories than actually practising or being a real G in the streets. Now hip hop is a bunch of faggot poser kids behind a computer screen more than it ever was. And it will only get worse

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:03 pm 

I used to play in some hardcore bands and practice guitar and I remember how marvelous it was to watch like John Frusciante (Red Hot's guitar player) and be amazed by his skills. When you practice a physical instrument, the hours needed to be good in comparison to a musician that you like is at your face every damn time that you pick your instrument because you just can't do what this guy is doing lol, you know that this motherfucker spent years conscious playing at least 8 hours a day. I'm saying this because composing on computers can be a fucking huge crutch since you can easily sound ok on it (like, if you spend two weeks in a DAW you will learn your way around it and be able to build up a beat and some chords that you saw in some video or whatever). I'm not saying that it's easy.
Well, as people already said, everyone is doing it now. Let's take "Lo-Fi Beats" as its now. Get a sample (and you don't need even to search on albums anymore, you have sites that do that) and stick some soft drums to it, done. You will sound like all the beats that you hear on these Lo-Fi Beats youtube channels. So, you're good, right? No, you are average, everyone does that and everyone is damn average lol. These damn playlist makers are making a profit on average people and making them think that they are good and that they are "making it".

I'm saying this just to add to what KIYANI said. If everyone is average, yeah, great music will make people go to you. But man, to be great at music is a life term thing. And that isn't really a problem, it's just what it's, stick with your thing and keep studying.

But being aware of that show me a thing. Keep away from the "making it" people that are desperately trying to climb a success ladder. If you are about making music and community, competition doesn't look (at least to me) as part of it, you know? And "making it" revolves around competition and being better than others, so, these things aren't going to be together lol.

It's like the youtube thing that is going up these days. Do you perceive that almost every damn channel that was about music like a year or two ago are now about... things, they are about equipment and stuff, people understood where the money is in this format (so, if you wanna "making it" on youtube, be advertisable). They aren't about making music anymore. As it's these fucking damn playlists. Because the short attention spam, people just want some background noise and they wanna that it changes from time to time, so, Spotify and alike understood this and they need people doing a ton of disposable music and well, they created this mentality and guess what, people are doing it now and from time to time, someone sticks out of it.

As always, there are TONS AND TONS of amazing people doing amazing things. But, as always, they aren't shoved into our faces because they just make you realize that "fuck all this shit, I don't need this" lol. It's hard to keep yourself out of all the shiny media and what they say, but man, I'm realizing that this isn't really what I'm looking for all this time. I'm all about people letting their feelings splash into their music, community and all this such, you know? So, I'm now trying to sort all this and really understand what I really need to be fulfilled and build a thing that matters to me and anyone who is interested.

And this leads to "your platform" thing. There are people who want build these platforms and there are people who wanna be part of them by helping out with money and people who wanna get into it and help with their work, people who wanna do both, and this list can go on and on. The thing is, people that aren't content with what is going on in the world that we are in wanna be part of something that they can really put themselves on, you know? They are organic, they organically grow, they are something just "made to be successful", they aren't products, they are people doing things, they matter and if you are who in charge of maintaining that thing operational, well, you deserve some money to pay your bills, lol. So, I think that maybe this mentality and way of doing can be a way to accomplish that.

I'm totally into what people said about the media. You need to be there. You need to be doing your thing and being exposing it if you wanna to gather people to build this thing you wanna build (being an independent artist that delivers to people some nice messages counts for sure lol), people need spaces where they can think about their lifes, influenced by art outputs made by other people, spaces where they can grow their view of the world and they want it, so, you need to be caught making it, you know?

Maybe it isn't everyone's taste, but there is this doc about Bastl Instruments and how it came together, is quite good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4oOmcm0NGY

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:47 pm 

KIYANI wrote:
Now hip hop is a bunch of faggot poser kids behind a computer screen more than it ever was. And it will only get worse

*applause*

80% of beatmakers do the same soup

where is the originality of the begining of soundcloud ? when everyone had their unique sound and wouldn't sound like other /
the new gen wear all the same clothes, watch the same shows and sounds the same : clones

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:55 pm 

@forest .. coverred some solid points

and as stated above .. too many people follow mould instead of doing their own thing

just gotta seperate yourself from the masses

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:05 pm 

forest, i'll definitely watch the documentary. I'm always interested in seeing how pwoplw became who they are... their "success story" I could incorporate some fundamentals to what I am trying to do

lowco$t aka Kung Lao
I blame the listeners... everyone is a generic clone because most people aren't independent thinkers... so easy to manipulate.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:07 pm 

Got be a fisher of like minded individuals and organize a network which increases your net worth.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:56 pm 

paraphrase " a song is worth what the market thinks its worth"

- Gary Vee

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:07 pm 

THEGREAT wrote:
paraphrase " a song is worth what the market thinks its worth"

- Gary Vee

Which is the reason why most serious musicians don't get too far within the music industry. The business aspect is sucking the life out of the creational aspect. The same people don't boycott shitty music or accept shitty music is the same reason they accept corrupt politicians.... not enough conviction within themselves to demand and fight, if necessary, for better.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:30 pm 

thesisdrs wrote:
Which is the reason why most serious musicians don't get too far within the music industry. The business aspect is sucking the life out of the creational aspect. The same people don't boycott shitty music or accept shitty music is the same reason they accept corrupt politicians.... not enough conviction within themselves to demand and fight, if necessary, for better.

I totally agree with this, it's not enough anymore to just be a great musician, it's more about business.......& what sells.

& I think one of the reasons there is a lot of "sound a like" music & crappy beats is the fact that it's so accessible now. Technology makes things easier than it used to be....it's easier to make beats & it's cheaper. It brings out the wannabe's. Plus youtube. ANYONE can post a video. So it's more in our face now. And all of this just makes it harder to be heard.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:46 pm 

You can see it everywhere, cookie cutter copycats.
There is no originality anymore.
It used to be you'd be ridiculed for jumping on a bandwagon.
Now, there's like an attitude of: "that's hot, I can do it. Let's see if I can do it better."
It's not just with music.

But with music I think there's 3 types of artists:
1. People that are just plain "born with it." They have a gift. Somehow stumble upon it. And it gets exposed.
2. Those who practice their ass off and work for it.
3. Those who do something unique. In a sea of copycats, if you can do something different, you can start a new niche. If other's are copying you, you are doing something right.
Adversely, If you are copying someone else, you haven't found you yet.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:50 am 

Even to this day i'm looking for ways to diversify my sound. I don't make lo-fi beats. just because I have an SP doesn't mean that I do. I bought an SP because I wanted an affordable sampler that was around the same price, or cheaper than my maschine MK2. My favourite hip hop producers used the legacy units... the 303.

Although those cats inspire me, I don't want to do exactly what they did either. When Dilla hears something that inspires him, he goes to the lab to try to make that same magic, but within his own way... Not to duplicate what he just heard.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:52 am 

MattCoops wrote:
But with music I think there's 3 types of artists:
1. People that are just plain "born with it." They have a gift. Somehow stumble upon it. And it gets exposed.
2. Those who practice their ass off and work for it.
3. Those who do something unique. In a sea of copycats, if you can do something different, you can start a new niche. If other's are copying you, you are doing something right.
Adversely, If you are copying someone else, you haven't found you yet.

I feel every true musician is a bit of all 3.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:49 am 

there is alot of graft in music .. its about maximising your audience . not a big fan of plugging music repeatidly . gotta embrace the times. just gotta find what works for you implementing market knowledge ( without compromising yourself on an artist base)