It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:16 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Cassette recorders
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:24 am 

You both have to nuance your views. It depends of the material and your utilisation.

zendanisdead wrote:
i'm sorry man, but i've never heard any rational person in my life say "tape machines are FOR WOW AND FLUTTER" especially when the companies who produced them spent millions of dollars in research on ELIMINATING wow and flutter. you sound like an idiot. i'm not continuing this argument. :mrgreen:

Some lofi-hip hop producers use tapes for wow and flutter, compression, tape dist (like me and I'm not the only one on this forum...)
I'm rationnal man, and I can say i use often tape for the specific tape compression, wow and flutter it brings to my sounds (in this case, i don't put the dolby, i use old tapes, and record over and over).

On the other hand,
Some audiophiles buy some tape players (nakamichi, sony, etc...), reel to reel you can't even afford (nagra) or even HIFI VCR because the sound quality is way better than numeric formats and there's absolutely NO distortions or anything on those machines if they are well revised and maintained.
I use it, like it and think I'm not the only one on this forum... In this case, use a calibrated revised machine with demagnetized and cleaned heads + unused metal tapes
And once again it depends of your material and how you take care of it (how you conserve your tape- tape deck / temperature- sun exposition- how you clean it, etc...).
When there's a lot of dust and ashe everywhere and the products are not revised (wich is almost always the case for hip hop producers) of course it will sounds dirty and ghetto and they are not made for that, but if people found a new way to use it, where's the problem ?
I agree that emulators never sounds like really analog products.

Take a piece of paper and a stylo:
-you can cut the stylo deverse all the ink and doing a Basquiat ghetto draw on it
-you can spend 15 hours and doing a very realistic Rembrandt draw
There's no good or bad, same material, different results... just depend on how you use it and the quality of the stylo and paper.

zendanisdead wrote:

a fucking lofihiphop dickriding faggot

god damn like how thick can someone's head be???

Saying bad words or swearing does not bring any arguments to your point of view, on the contrary, it is not very civilized and discredit you.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:13 am 

HELLOPILLOW wrote:
You both have to nuance your views. It depends of the material and your utilisation.

zendanisdead wrote:
i'm sorry man, but i've never heard any rational person in my life say "tape machines are FOR WOW AND FLUTTER" especially when the companies who produced them spent millions of dollars in research on ELIMINATING wow and flutter. you sound like an idiot. i'm not continuing this argument. :mrgreen:

Some lofi-hip hop producers use tapes for wow and flutter, compression, tape dist (like me and I'm not the only one on this forum...)
I'm rationnal man, and I can say i use often tape for the specific tape compression, wow and flutter it brings to my sounds (in this case, i don't put the dolby, i use old tapes, and record over and over).

On the other hand,
Some audiophiles buy some tape players (nakamichi, sony, etc...), reel to reel you can't even afford (nagra) or even HIFI VCR because the sound quality is way better than numeric formats and there's absolutely NO distortions or anything on those machines if they are well revised and maintained.
I use it, like it and think I'm not the only one on this forum... In this case, use a calibrated revised machine with demagnetized and cleaned heads + unused metal tapes
And once again it depends of your material and how you take care of it (how you conserve your tape- tape deck / temperature- sun exposition- how you clean it, etc...).
When there's a lot of dust and ashe everywhere and the products are not revised (wich is almost always the case for hip hop producers) of course it will sounds dirty and ghetto and they are not made for that, but if people found a new way to use it, where's the problem ?
I agree that emulators never sounds like really analog products.

Take a piece of paper and a stylo:
-you can cut the stylo deverse all the ink and doing a Basquiat ghetto draw on it
-you can spend 15 hours and doing a very realistic Rembrandt draw
There's no good or bad, same material, different results... just depend on how you use it and the quality of the stylo and paper.

zendanisdead wrote:

Saying bad words or swearing does not bring any arguments to your point of view, on the contrary, it is not very civilized and discredit you.

dog i never said tape machines didn't have wow and flutter. in fact i said exactly that they do.

I said the point of a tape machine isn't a WOW AND FLUTTER MACHINE.
It is a recording interface. No one can prove me wrong.
NOW THAT BEING SAID, anyone can use it for whatever the fuck they want.
It is misinformation telling someone who asks what a tape machine is for that it is a wow and flutter machine. I was correcting this misinformation. Thanks. :mrgreen:

IIIII wrote:
he can turn water into a beat, and feed a thousand dancehalls with only two drumbreaks

"If you want that '90s sound, record at 12 bit as HOT as you can."

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:16 am 

HELLOPILLOW wrote:

zendanisdead wrote:

I'm not the only person who swore :mrgreen: Also, maybe I just have a foul mouth? It doesn't discredit me, sorry.

But hey, I'm really glad you shed some light on the issue! You are a well informed individual. Much respect to you!

IIIII wrote:
he can turn water into a beat, and feed a thousand dancehalls with only two drumbreaks

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:18 am 

HELLOPILLOW wrote:

On the other hand,

I own a Nakamichi BX300

IIIII wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:30 am 

zendanisdead wrote:
It is misinformation telling someone who asks what a tape machine is for that it is a wow and flutter machine. I was correcting this misinformation. Thanks. :mrgreen:

Of course it's for wow and flutter. It's not ONLY for wow and flutter but people use tape for those purposes. you'd be assuming to think i meant it's solely for that purpose... and you know what they say about people who assume.
I don't appreciate being called a faggot either... i don't take that too kindly mother fucker.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:40 am 

When analyzing my first comment on this thread. I notice i was thinking when he said cassette recorders, he was referring to VHS. In this case, yes it is mostly used for wow and flutter since it does not have the tape compression of reef to reel. VHS doesn't tame transients either. People still compress the audio after it's ben recorded to VHS.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:01 am 

thesisdrs wrote:
zendanisdead wrote:

Of course it's for wow and flutter. It's not ONLY for wow and flutter but people use tape for those purposes. you'd be assuming to think i meant it's solely for that purpose... and you know what they say about people who assume.
I don't appreciate being called a faggot either... i don't take that too kindly mother fucker.

Dog, if someone asks what something is for, you tell them what it's for, don't you? If someone asks me what a car is for, would the right answer be:

A. It gets you from point A to point B

B. You can use it as a place to sit

faggot.

IIIII wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:10 am 

Wow, i didn't know I had to explain to someone that cassette are used to record material.
I'm pretty sure the topic was to find out what effect cassettes do to audio

shit stain.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:12 am 

His question was how does a recorder effect your production. Asking opinions. Opinions were given. Apparently by faggots :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:15 am 

Sharris wrote:
His question was how does a recorder effect your production. Asking opinions. Opinions were given. Apparently by faggots :lol:

nah, i'm straight. this guy just butt hurt cause someone stole his beats. I wonder who would want those though. white noise sounds better than that shit.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:52 am 

thesisdrs wrote:
Sharris wrote:

nah, i'm straight. this guy just butt hurt cause someone stole his beats. I wonder who would want those though. white noise sounds better than that shit.

IIIII wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:00 am 

wow, i was hoping for some sort of apology, not name calling. lol some people cleared up what the purpose of the discussion was about... which was what i thought it was about. Aside from that, there is no purpose to engage further in dialogue.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:00 am 

I don't like the way faggots like thesisdrs use tape machines (or even WORSE computer program tape machine effect emulators!!! oh my god) to seem like they're cool and oldschool. It's called being a poser and a faggot.

Speaking of this sisders fuck, I can't believe this fuck has the audacity to tell me my beats sound like shit when this fool has no soundcloud link, and a bandcamp with NO SUPPORTERS.
what a damn laugh
i wonder how if feels to be so pathetic 8)

TO OP
If you want to know how tape affects your production, it makes it sound worse. Avoid it if you can.

IIIII wrote:

Last edited by zendanisdead on Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:11 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:03 am 

:mrgreen:
Here is a link to my free bandcamp where people choose to donate to me (as shown under "supporters")

https://zendan.bandcamp.com/

Here is a link to the cassette label that I started and have generated revenue under

https://beatuser.bandcamp.com/

Here is a link to one of my soundclouds

https://soundcloud.com/beatusertapes

Here is another

https://soundcloud.com/hisu1

Here is my main in my signature! VVV

IIIII wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:47 am 

Location: Out the back.Im digging up the yard and spying on the devil
[quote="zendanisdead"

TO OP
If you want to know how tape affects your production, it makes it sound worse. Avoid it if you can.
[/quote]

I dunno man...I think a lot of people would be quite surprised by just how good recordings made onto tape can sound if they are recorded properly in the first place.

There's no doubt that analogue recordings can handle any digital source, the only question is whether there is any loss of frequency response since this has to do with limitations of the tape composition as well as circuitry. Getting tapes to reproduce much above 14khz or 15khz will be tough, but guess what, there’s plenty of brightness in audio at 15khz to sound good.

Another problem with folks who use tape decks to record with is they don't always take care of or maintain the equipment properly...you actually have to open up and CLEAN that motherfucker lol .

I've fixed up many,many tape decks and boomboxes for peeps over the years and nine times out of ten the issue is always the same..basically,a lack of care for the machines.

Despite what some may think that dirt, gunk and grime all over your machinery won't make your shit sound better hehehe.

You wouldn't let your cars engine get into that condition for example and the same rule should apply to the musical equipment you use.

Maintaining the belts which inevitably degrade over time and which are a common cause of problems with a lot of tape decks and boomboxes is essential..also the rollers and other moving parts which need to be properly lubed and maintained to produce the best results,sonically.

I personally love the sound of a well recorded tape...i'd genuinely be much more interested in hearing a recording that was made by someone exclusively on a 4 track analogue machine than in a DAW for example.

I guess It all comes down to personal preference at the end of the day.

https://soundcloud.com/user-58305257

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next