It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:22 am

Post subject: Pattern Export
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:12 pm 

Sure it’s been asked before (I might have asked) but what do you do to export your patterns as wav?

I love the sequencer but end up resampling so I can just pull the wav off the card. I’ll assume most record into a PC for production but wondered what other options were out there. One thought is to record to a looper pedal then back to the 404sx.

SP-404SX

Post subject: Re: Pattern Export
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:10 pm 

Generally I don't use the sequencer for a whole beat. If I must record a pattern beat, I just do it into my laptop.
Wouldn't it be easier that way, especially if you wanna upload it somewhere on the web ?

Most of time I resample patterns on another sampler (could be on a computer or a tapedeck or...) then back on the sp to finish the beat. A sort of mid-resampling style.
That's a good excuse to buy an other piece of gear too :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:50 pm 

Kegeratorz wrote:
Sure it’s been asked before (I might have asked) but what do you do to export your patterns as wav?

I love the sequencer but end up resampling so I can just pull the wav off the card. I’ll assume most record into a PC for production but wondered what other options were out there. One thought is to record to a looper pedal then back to the 404sx.

I don't know, man. Options are limited. I use the Subsonic MFX and turn all the ctrl knobs to the right and use the remain button to mute the sounds and record each sound, one by one, in my DAW, so i can further process my sounds.

This is why i dislike the resampling method... once you do that you can only use mastering effects to finalize your beat... so you got to make sure you mix it properly in the SP before you do that.. However IMO it doesn't have all the features to mix as precisely as I would like it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:19 pm 

Saladolar wrote:
I just do it into my laptop.
Wouldn't it be easier that way, especially if you wanna upload it somewhere on the web ?

This is true but I got my 404 so I didn't have to use a PC. Have Ableton lite and an interface but never really liked it, to many distractions when I only have a small amount of time to play.

Saladolar wrote:
good excuse to buy an other piece of gear too :mrgreen:

Ha, yes it is!

SP-404SX

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:45 pm 

If you prefer to not use your computer I would suggest a digital recorder, I think they work great. I have a Zoom R16, which is a little spendy, there are smaller/cheaper ones out there, but the R16 has 16 tracks & can record 8 tracks at the same time, it has a ton of mastering effects, phantom power, it's an 8 channel audio interface, you can overdub, it records everything to a memory card in wav. Cool as fuck for playing stuff out live as well. Even if you only have 1 sp, you can record drums on track 1, then bass on track 2, ect, ect (not at the same time since the sp only has main outs). You can bounce back & forth, use it in-between when recording a bassline or synth if your sp can't record external audio while the beats playing, just a ton of uses.
Another idea would be to get a 2nd sp or another sampler, a looper as you suggested would be cool as well.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:53 am 

i use a TASCAM DR-05. it's a Handy Recorder for 99$ which records Crystal clear Audio directly in wav (or mp3 if you want). you can even overdub (i never tried it out tho)

i had a zoom Handy Recorder (H1) too but the tascam is better and they're both around the same Price.

i always recommend those Handy Recorders, they work on AA Batteries, are small, record clear Audio through line in AAAAAND you can use it to capture sounds from everywhere you go since there's a (high) Quality mic on those Handy Recorders.

i never looked back.

thought it might help

edit: sometimes i record all finished beats from 202/303/404 to a tape (sony Tapedeck i got for 20$) for some more warmth/grit/extra Sauce and then record the beats back to the tascam DR-05. then i can drag and drop the wav files to the Laptop/pc and upload.

https://youtu.be/P4wTn6x_vpA

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:00 pm 

I caved, repurposed a clients retired win 7 box and maxed out the ram. Threw off to the side of my desk and popped my cheap USB interface in it. Runs well, should have did this a while back. Have Ableton lite from a purchase years ago and got Tracktion free with my Behringer $30 usb interface. Not a terrible setup. The dr-05 looks interesting and will probably pickup down the road. The loop pedal was only mono and played out the left side only, that is a no go unless you get a stereo pedal.

SP-404SX

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:24 pm 

Nice, sounds like you were able to do it relatively cheap too.
Yeah, I'm looking into that Dr-05 as well, I want something to record out in the field (rain, traffic, crowds, birds, ect) plus it would be nice to have something small to record live beats into.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:51 pm 

Looks like a updated Zoom H1N is getting released, the original is down to $79 now. Might be worth a look.

SP-404SX

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:43 pm 

scopebeats wrote:
i use a TASCAM DR-05. it's a Handy Recorder for 99$ which records Crystal clear Audio directly in wav

I have had one for years but it always kills the bass and makes beats sound really muddy and noisey. Have you had similar problems? I could just have the wrong settings somewhere but idk, I feel like I've tried everything with it and the sound couldn't be further from crystal clear haha. I would love to use it for bouncing outta sp's but it just sits in a box right now

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:30 am 

seezesea wrote:
scopebeats wrote:
i use a TASCAM DR-05. it's a Handy Recorder for 99$ which records Crystal clear Audio directly in wav

I have had one for years but it always kills the bass and makes beats sound really muddy and noisey. Have you had similar problems? I could just have the wrong settings somewhere but idk, I feel like I've tried everything with it and the sound couldn't be further from crystal clear haha. I would love to use it for bouncing outta sp's but it just sits in a box right now

hey! i never had similar problems... i even record my sp-12/S950 beats straight to the tascam and the low end (and everything other) is like it should.

but i had problems with a zoom H1 handy recorder which slightly (very subtle!) distorted my kicks from time to time that's why i switched to the tascam dr-05 and never looked back. forum member kinay has the same dr-05 in use and he's happy with it too.

i use a Cinch to 3.5mm stereo cable and go straight out the SPs (or mixing desk for SP-12/S950 affairs) into the tascam. just be careful not to clip/peak when recording - otherwise i can't really help you, hope you get it working soon.

https://youtu.be/P4wTn6x_vpA

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:43 pm 

Huh I'm thinking something must be wrong with the line in or something on mine then, I've tried every combination of volume levels and settings and all my cords with mine and it still always sounds terrible on bassy/heavy kick drum beats. I've even put beats in ableton and smashed them flat with limiters to be sure I wasn't clipping and it still just couldn't handle the bass. I got mine second hand for cheap tho so I guess I know why now lol and now I know the dr05 is legit just not the one I happen to have. Thanks for the reply!