It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:35 pm

Post subject: PIONEER DJS-1000 DJ Sampler
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:35 pm 

I own one for a week now, I sold the Digitakt and spent only 3 bills to buy one. Planned for secondary use, this thing has proven itself to me to be the alpha-wolf of the studio. Indeed a direct competitor to Akai MPC Live. Its definitely a magical piece.

I didn't expect it to be this simple and fast to use for the complexity of features this thing has. Samples can be timestretched or pitch tuned over a beat which surprised me because I was able to keep the beat running and timestretched a guitar in realtime. You can't do that on the Live! Unless its through menus. Chopping can go all types of ways, you can record something and hit the pads in a sequence and it'll continuously sample across as many pads you like or hit Slice button. The sound is beautiful defining many shades of darkness as well as lightness with awesome clarity.

What caught me off-guard, so I'll let you know, is that this machine has a read-only memory and not the traditional read and write ones we have, so whatever you sampled in there will be lost when you power off. No biggie, I installed a 64GB USB stick and problem solved even though I took a trip to Walgreens at 3am to buy one because it does not take SD cards. And my other gripe is that you can't output the song and the external source at the same time through one output, this has two outputs however, so one output is the DJS' output and Output2 can be used for the external source, but both can't be on the same line. Means you gonna need another input on your mixer.

Other than that a dope machine for making beats especially if you coming off an SP505, this will set you free. For production studio, only if you a strictly standalone cat :mrgreen:

Last edited by Ill Green on Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: DJS-1000 DJ Sampler
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 6:56 pm 

Ill Green wrote:
I didn't expect it to be this simple and fast to use for the complexity of features this thing has. Samples can be timestretched or pitch tuned over a beat which surprised me because I was able to keep the beat running and timestretched a guitar in realtime. You can't do that on the Live! Unless its through menus. Chopping can go all types of ways, you can record something and hit the pads in a sequence and it'll continuously sample across as many pads you like or hit Slice button. The sound is beautiful defining many shades of darkness as well as lightness with awesome clarity.

:shock: :shock: wow

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:10 am 

Yo i got this purely from what you posted, but i kinda lingered on if to get it, so i looked on some other fourms to check it out and i found you again on the mpc fourm and you absolutly raved about it man. That convinced me and this thing is so fuckin tight. It takes what I loved about the 505 but sped everything up and a whole slew of features.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:11 pm 

Ill Green wrote:

What caught me off-guard, so I'll let you know, is that this machine has a read-only memory and not the traditional read and write ones we have, so whatever you sampled in there will be lost when you power off. No biggie, I installed a 64GB USB stick and problem solved even though I took a trip to Walgreens at 3am to buy one because it does not take SD cards.

damn....very strange...so you have to install usb port?
anyway i have to study this machine, i'm curious about it...someway i see those pads and i see a mixture of mpc/electribes like style different pads...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:29 pm 

Lou- wrote:
Yo i got this purely from what you posted, but i kinda lingered on if to get it, so i looked on some other fourms to check it out and i found you again on the mpc fourm and you absolutly raved about it man. That convinced me and this thing is so fuckin tight. It takes what I loved about the 505 but sped everything up and a whole slew of features.

Lou you gonna enjoy it, you got chromatic scales, you have the option to switch to pitched scales, as well as timestretching which can be switched to pitch tuning. Everything we hate and love about the SPs, Pioneer bridged the gap. Its new gear so there is a learning curve but you learn it easily quick in a day, its so fluidy and SP like.

Though everyone telling me I should have gotten a Toraiz, but I have enough production samplers, I wanted something fun and new but this blew my mind out the water! It can do production regardless, only thing lacking is a song mode. The on the fly beat making and remixing is out of this world. And every time I use it, I find something new and does mostly everything my MPC Live can do.

A little inside note, Pioneer is gonna extend the limit of 32 seconds per sample to 64 seconds perhaps during the week of NAMM and other fixes and updates. That would be dope for resampling.

Though I hear Pioneer has a surprise at NAMM.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:37 pm 

ellaguru wrote:
Ill Green wrote:

What caught me off-guard, so I'll let you know, is that this machine has a read-only memory and not the traditional read and write ones we have, so whatever you sampled in there will be lost when you power off. No biggie, I installed a 64GB USB stick and problem solved even though I took a trip to Walgreens at 3am to buy one because it does not take SD cards.

damn....very strange...so you have to install usb port?
anyway i have to study this machine, i'm curious about it...someway i see those pads and i see a mixture of mpc/electribes like style different pads...

Ella!!! Whats up!

No, not an USB port but a USB memory stick like this:

These units are supposed to be in-house at clubs, you might run into to one in one of your gigs. Pads are MPC or Maschine like, but the unit operates like an SP, so easy.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:04 pm 

:oops: Still a newb myself on the DJS but you CAN monitor the inputs and the device. So excuse that bit in my principal post.

Making a vid of making some boom bap on it. Posting soon. :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:50 pm 

Ill Green wrote:

that would be great
ot
what you dislike about the digitak...?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:04 am 

Ill Green wrote:
:oops: Still a newb myself on the DJS but you CAN monitor the inputs and the device. So excuse that bit in my principal post.

Yo how do you monitor both, ive looked through the manual and futzed around with it and I still cant figure that out.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:58 pm 

Lou- wrote:
Ill Green wrote:

Yo how do you monitor both, ive looked through the manual and futzed around with it and I still cant figure that out.

Not at my place right now, but I think I had Sampling activated the whole time. It won't resample or overwrite the samples on the pads. I also find that headphone out can play both at the sametime with or without Sampling on. When I get back, I'll tell you for sure.

No further a do, here's a vid I made on Saturday night/Sunday morning at 4am.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VT6_-uIIRK0

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:11 pm 

Video was awesome my friend, that thing is sweet.

SP-404SX

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:02 pm 

grande Ill! thanks

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:54 pm 

ellaguru wrote:
what you dislike about the digitak...?

Thank you Ellaguru!! Sorry for missing your last question, this place is getting smaller and smaller on the android that texts are unreadable at times until I zoom in.

I had big hopes for the Digitakt, I wanted it to rekindle my MS-1 days. It was small, compact, samples and mangles them. First, I was cool with the plastic buttons and 8 polyphony, I thought wow a mini SP1200. But the buttons get stuck at times when you trigger them. Also, you are limited to sample to 8 pads only, the other available 8 buttons are reserved for MIDI devices and it is impossible to sample on to those. And you know me, I don't do MIDI, so it was a waste on the machine. Pattern chaining is buggy as fuck too. Don't get me wrong, its a dope improvisation sampler for psych hop or trance, very fun, but I found myself getting mad when buttons got stuck and stuttering the shit out of a sample, I couldn't record a beat in peace.

Kegeratorz wrote:
Video was awesome my friend, that thing is sweet.

Thank you, I was trying to show off the live chopping but it does a lot more, that was just a flavor taster :mrgreen:

More vids soon, when I can.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:14 am 

Ill Green wrote:

I had big hopes for the Digitakt, I wanted it to rekindle my MS-1 days. It was small, compact, samples and mangles them. First, I was cool with the plastic buttons and 8 polyphony, I thought wow a mini SP1200. But the buttons get stuck at times when you trigger them. Also, you are limited to sample to 8 pads only, the other available 8 buttons are reserved for MIDI devices and it is impossible to sample on to those. And you know me, I don't do MIDI, so it was a waste on the machine. Pattern chaining is buggy as fuck too. Don't get me wrong, its a dope improvisation sampler for psych hop or trance, very fun, but I found myself getting mad when buttons got stuck and stuttering the shit out of a sample, I couldn't record a beat in peace.

damn...how can they build machines like that at that price, in 2017...???

anyway, thanks for the infos ILL :)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:31 pm 

Yeah I have been researching both the DJS1000 and the Toraiz 16 both look like winners to me. Down the road when I make a lil more money one on them if not both should end up in my quiver.