It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:54 am

Post subject: MPC X! .
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:34 pm 

not used 1 . seen plenty of great vids using the X

anybody got 1st hand experience?

My question is .. is it like using the old MPC's with modern technology . Or is it more like MPC Studio / Maschine etc

. Right now I'm nowhere near buying . but does it feel like computer based workflow . Or true old school MPC just with upgraded features?

Post subject: Re: MPC X! .
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:11 pm 

.. same applies to MPC Live ..

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:48 am 

I'm curious too..... been pondering selling my 2500 & 500 for the Live..... I don't know though......I love the 2500...especially with JJOSXL.... but I could sell the 2500 & 500, buy the Live & have money left over..... hhmmm.....

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:42 am 

2500 .. if you love it .. hold onto it tight

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:04 am 

Yeah.....I'm thinking the same thing.......

& I know it seems odd that I would want to sell something I love, just to buy something else I'm unsure of.......but I recently got into software (Maschine Mk3)....& since I started using software I feel like I could make some changes with my equipment. Streamline it a bit.

BUT I JUST got into software (Thanksgiving), so I'll give it some time.

I'll never sell my 404sx tho, that thing goes everywhere with me :)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:39 pm 
Winner of Bronze Medal
Winner of Bronze Medal

I bought the live... best decision I ever made gear wise

Coming from a ten year 2500 user and owner of a few 404s and Korg microsampler . The live rules, it’s like I’m being reintroduced to having fun with music

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:34 pm 

A friend of mine bought a live a few months ago and I got a chance to mess with it a while back. (4-5 hours) I was pretty much sold on it last year, but given Akai's current business model of developing a product to about 50-60% then releasing it, letting the user figure out the rest of the bugs for them (free out sourcing), I was going to wait at least a year before buying it. There are some things I liked about it, but overall I think playing with it changed my mind on wanting one. I own a 500 and the buggy 5000 and have played with a lot of other MPC's. Some of the old button combinations for navigating the menus and sub menus are gone. I found that we were using the touch screen 80% of the time and I'm kinda biased, I hate touch screens. I would rather have a million clicky buttons than fingering a hard piece of glass, that seemed less responsive than the average smart phone. There seemed to be some latency coming and going with input on the sequencer. My friend might be a couple updates behind though, since he's not a computer person. One thing we ran into, with the live having a sd card slot, usb connectivity for flash drives and hard drives, there was no way to copy file folders from any of the removable media to the internal drive(s). You had to connect to to a computer to do this. The thing really just feels like a tablet stuffed into a hardware box.

Imo, Akai should have released the live and x this year where the firmware stand as of now. But don't take my opinions, I just played with the live for a few hours and do not own one.

More over here: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=24179

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:35 pm 

Yeah the touchscreen is 1 of the big things that worries me. I would need to play with one first to make sure I would be ok with it. I love buttons & sliders as well. I have a hard time making beats with a mouse & keyboard & think I would feel the same about a touch screen.

I know I mentioned above I got into software, but with the Mk3, no joke, I turn my laptop on, open Maschine, then close the laptop, I don't need to touch the mouse or keyboard at all. This was important to me.

But it's nice to hear Kel's opinion, been reading this forum for a few years, probably looked at every pic in the studio pics thread & we have similar taste in gear, I've always liked your set ups Kel!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:09 pm 

old is gold. Wtf is an MPC X?