It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:52 am

Post subject: I think I figured out the madlib wobble?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:33 am 

OK not sure if this is the shit or not but it sounds pretty close to me. I was just playing with the phaser and all of a sudden only the low end had that nice wobble on it. I just had the first knob just a touch up, not too much just make sure depth of it stays in the lows. Then I put the 2nd knob all the way up, and the 3rd knob just a touch up too. Does it sound right to you guys?

Post subject: Re: I think I figured out the madlib wobble?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:55 pm 

Lou- wrote:
OK not sure if this is the shit or not but it sounds pretty close to me. I was just playing with the phaser and all of a sudden only the low end had that nice wobble on it. I just had the first knob just a touch up, not too much just make sure depth of it stays in the lows. Then I put the 2nd knob all the way up, and the 3rd knob just a touch up too. Does it sound right to you guys?

I would imagine what you are hearing with the phaser (on the entire track?) is similar to a LFO. The depth of the phaser being so slow kind of mimics the effect of the wow/flutter of the vinyl sim (which is what I think really causes the madlib wobble) either that or it's just vinyl warble and analog circuitry which wouldnt be too surprising considering madlib's signal flow is probably crazy with all the gear he has.

TLDR: It's probably the sonic effect of an LFO on the entire track.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:58 pm 

People still hacking this Madlib technique?
Damn, I hopped on the bandwagon a few years ago in wonderment.
Ain't it just a time stretch sound character from the 303? It can be replicated in 404 with Looper too.
But I mean, get on your sampler and work on YOU. Craft something we ain't heard yet.
I understand the being stuck on Madlib style beats though. I mean, if you're like me, you constantly on the hunt for more sounds from dude. And sometimes, you get bored with what's out, and want to mimic his style just so you hear Madlib in your headphones.
It's just part of being a die-hard fan. Plus, having some production skill-ability.
But, if you put that much effort into your own music, experiment, cultivate your own signature sound, and share with the cult following to engage listening pleasure and keep real hip hop alive.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:59 pm 
Producer of the Year '09 + Tape of the Year '09 + 202 Award Winner '09

MattCoops wrote:
Ain't it just a time stretch sound character from the 303? It can be replicated in 404 with Looper too.
But I mean, get on your sampler and work on YOU. Craft something we ain't heard yet.
I understand the being stuck on Madlib style beats though. I mean, if you're like me, you constantly on the hunt for more sounds from dude. And sometimes, you get bored with what's out, and want to mimic his style just so you hear Madlib in your headphones.
It's just part of being a die-hard fan. Plus, having some production skill-ability.
But, if you put that much effort into your own music, experiment, cultivate your own signature sound, and share with the cult following to engage listening pleasure and keep real hip hop alive.

truth!madlib warble is just the timestrectch on the 303 with a low pass filter.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:06 am 

MattCoops wrote:

Yeah yo, I had a phase where I wanted to sound like him, but then I realized that wasnt me. I found the phaser thing when I was fukin around with the 404 one day, I guess I did kinda hope it was how he achieved it, but who the fuck knows. Gotta develop my own style and then have a guy be like "how the fuck did he make that?" and then have them post endless pages on a forum thread or sumthing

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:34 am 

Quote:
truth!madlib warble is just the timestrectch on the 303 with a low pass filter.

co-sign

https://youtu.be/P4wTn6x_vpA