It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:35 am

Post subject: New SP808 owner... sigh.
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:03 pm 

I've been ever excited to get my hands on an sp808 but it has just been a nightmare to finally get this thing going (2+ weeks) to get it powered on, and functioning properly.

Now I have entered the SP world from a long time mpc and machine user.

My main question now (and I have done much reading and searching with no answer)

I am composing some drum breaks in my mpc and sampling them directly into the SP808. From here, I apply some effects (which leads me to another question) but once the effects are applied, I want to sample back into my MPC so I can sequence it.

At this point, the only way to do this is change the audio in & out cables from mpc out -> sp808 in to sp808 out -> mpc in. Is there a way to do these seamlessly without having to change cables? I tried using the additional SP808 aux out, but the manual says pads that are triggered will not output through the aux.

Do I need a mixer with multiple ins and out? Does anybody have any suggestions on how to perfect this ?

Additionally, how can I add effects on the SP808 per pad. It seems when I hit the effects it just changes what is playing. I have many questions, but most I can play with and eventually figure out -- i just need to figure out how to get the mpc and sp working collectively because damn, the mpc drums sound DOPE with some minor effects applied.

Thanks in Advance. -Jon

Post subject: Re: New SP808 owner... sigh.
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:59 pm 

Pretty sure the aux out can be set as a normal out. Have neither my 808 or the manual handy to talk you thru it unfortunately.

As for effects to individual pads - unlike other sp's that is not possible on the 808. Effects are applied to all pads; no getting around that.

SP-808 | SP-202 | SP-303 | SP-555 | SP-404sx | OP-1 | Ableton 10 | Tascam 244 | Adobe Audition 1.5

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:39 am 

Hey, I appreciate the reply. I will check the manual regarding aux out. Also, that sucks about the effects. I was not aware of that.

I guess at this rate I will have to play with the sp808 and see how I can best use it in my setup.

Hopefully someone else can chime in about the routing back and fourth of sp808 and mpc.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:34 pm 

You can re-sample sounds in the 808 with effects.

Hit the FX button to right of navigation buttons. That button shows what effect is being used. Hit shift and FX/button together and that open FX/set-up screen. It will show a few boxes. Scroll over to the far right to LOC(location) parameter hit enter. On the next screen you can change the effects location From Master to Record. Now you can re-sample with FX applied to another pad. I may build a few banks from MPC inside the 808 then record them(preferably through SPDIF digital) back into your MPC for sequencing.

Sp 808 is a great scratchpad for inspiration and ideas. Using the 808 along side a MPC opens the MPC's sonic abilities greatly and provides two different workflows for you to have fun and be creative with.