It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:55 am

Post subject: Pad space and memory cards?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:26 pm 

Hey guys, new to the SP, been messing around with one for a couple weeks now.

I purchased a bunch of multi gig cards.. but I find that I am running out of pads to assign long before I have even come close to using half of 1GB of the memory card.

am I missing something? or can you only assign the 10 pad banks per memory card (without connecting to a PC and moving files around within the mem card)

Post subject: Re: Pad space and memory cards?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:36 am 

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/261038/Roland-Sp-404sx.html?page=37

https://youtu.be/P4wTn6x_vpA

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:48 pm 

^ that doesn't help or answer my question in any way.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:37 am 

fmmood wrote:

ok, thought you wanted to know how to fill a Card with more than 120 samples (10banks) and a backup is the only way to fill up more than 120 samples... peace

https://youtu.be/P4wTn6x_vpA

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:25 pm 

scopebeats wrote:
fmmood wrote:

ok, thought you wanted to know how to fill a Card with more than 120 samples (10banks) and a backup is the only way to fill up more than 120 samples... peace

Your answer is exactly what he was looking for, given how the SX works. I don't understand how someone who is asking for help can be so dismissive and rude to those who step up and try to help.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:56 pm 

sorry to bring up an old topic. I have been trying to figure this out as well. Everytime I power on the sp404sx everything I have been working on loads. I'm almost out of pads.. I've read the manual numerous times, and I think I understand now.. Let me know if I'm wrong. I can use all 12 pads, in all banks a-j. Save all of that to backup save bank 1. Now, if I want to start a new project, I just do a delete all samples and that should give me a fresh start for other beats. once all of those pads in all the banks are filled, I can then do a backup save to bank 2. Then do a delete all samples again to clear the units memory. Does this sound right?

***EDIT***
forgot to mention, I have a 32gb SD card in the machine. there is no way two beats have taken up a full 32gb of space on the card. especially since Ive backed up what I have so far on bank 1....

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:50 pm 

The way I've done it is to save my back up twice on 2 different pads (a1 and a2 for example) then load the second one and clear it. I always did it this way because idk if it's possible to load a new blank set of banks. There could be a simpler way but this is just how I always did it, hope that makes sense.

Now all that said I'd suggest just investing in some more 1 or 2 gig SD cards cuz it's a lot faster than doing the whole backup thing. Idk about yours but my 404sx always takes forever to save/load backup data and I find it a lot easier and less time consuming to just keep a few cards on hand and a little notebook to write down what I have on each card.
Also I'd suggest messing with a 303 for a while if possible cuz it really really makes you appreciate the 120 pads and essentially unlimited space the sx has lol you can do a lot with a small number of pads you just gotta get creative and delete stuff that isn't essential as you go. Best of luck!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:02 pm 

seezesea wrote:
The way I've done it is to save my back up twice on 2 different pads (a1 and a2 for example) then load the second one and clear it. I always did it this way because idk if it's possible to load a new blank set of banks. There could be a simpler way but this is just how I always did it, hope that makes sense.

Now all that said I'd suggest just investing in some more 1 or 2 gig SD cards cuz it's a lot faster than doing the whole backup thing. Idk about yours but my 404sx always takes forever to save/load backup data and I find it a lot easier and less time consuming to just keep a few cards on hand and a little notebook to write down what I have on each card.
Also I'd suggest messing with a 303 for a while if possible cuz it really really makes you appreciate the 120 pads and essentially unlimited space the sx has lol you can do a lot with a small number of pads you just gotta get creative and delete stuff that isn't essential as you go. Best of luck!

I've got a 202, I only ever used it for lick shots and what not when dj'ing. It doesn't have a card, so space is WAY limited... I've been saving to banks, and your right, it takes forever to not only save, but to also load up a bank. So let me ask... After you save to bank 1,and then to bank 2. You reload bank 2, how do you delete all the samples on all pads and banks a-j? And I would assume that after you do so, you also delete bank a2 back up?

I've been trying to find 1gb cards, but not having much luck finding "cheap" ones.. all the ones I have found on ebay are still like 6-10 bucks a pop for one card...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:29 pm 

You have to go bank by bank when deleting all the samples cuz it resets every time you change banks, just it do the normal way tho, hitting delete then selecting everything you want to delete then hitting delete again, repeating that in each bank.
the only other way to delete all the samples in every bank is to format the card, but DO NOT do that if you're working with backups cuz it'll just clear EVERYTHING on the card

And yes I always deleted my a2 backup after reloading it, then repeated the process with a2 and a3. After you fill banks a-j again save that set to a2 and a3; load up the a3 backup, clear it and use that as your new blank slate.

Also 6-10 for new SD cards doesn't sound bad to me, I pay 10-20 for my cards but I get them at Walgreens where I live haha and that's a lot cheaper then those stupid smart media cards which are 3x the price for 10x less memory space