It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:45 am

Post subject: Travelling drum library 404sx
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:07 pm 

So I've just got my hands on a 404 SX which is going to be the portable beat maker while I'm travelling/want to play in the sunshine. I want to have a few drum sounds on board to accompany loops/textures found in the field. Thinking of dedicating the last 4 banks to this (one bank each of kicks/snares/hats/percussion). To get more variety I was thinking of putting up to 4 samples on each pad. Eg in J/1 I'd have a wav that was 4 different snare sounds in a row. The idea being to mark, copy and paste into an active bank to use with a loop.

Any thoughts on how to streamline setting this up? Any tips on accurate marking of drumsounds set up this way?

The other option I have is to use a folder based audio player on my phone and audition and sample in individual drum sounds as I need them. Does anyone do this? Any recommendations on a decent android app that will easily audition was from folders?

Thanks for reading!

Post subject: Re: Travelling drum library 404sx
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:15 pm 

the smartphone is probably my fav solution, you can class drums & samples in differents folders if you don't have free place on 404 then sample them with a simple rca ;)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:05 am 

Thanks. Yeah I think I'll stick with sampling off the smartphone. I have a folder based audio player app, but it plays the whole folder by default. Any recommendations for a player that will audition individual wavs without having to put each one in a separate folder?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:11 am 

ah that smartphone idea is great for drums!! thank you for that
you'd have to look around for the right media player but it shouldn't be too hard, although make sure when you're sampling into the sx to have the auto trigger setting turned on for a good recording (one of my biggest pet peeves is how it resets to 0 every time I turn off the sx)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:09 am 

buchabo wrote:
make sure when you're sampling into the sx to have the auto trigger setting turned on for a good recording

This!! Makes life so easy having a perfect starting point.

SP-404SX

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:39 am 

I had a similar idea; I recorded all my best drum samples onto a cassette (you could do the same with a CD) and I have my SP and a walkman on me when I'm traveling. Whenever I start a new project, I'll listen through the cassette and decide which drum samples I'm going to use. Then i'll play back the cassette- the drum samples are all spaced out 3 seconds apart so I'll pause the tape before the samples I want to use and then hit record on the SP with the auto-trigger level set to 2. It would work with a CD player or your phone too like others have said.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 8:11 am 

walkman and tape!
heavy!

i mostly use my phone with the small jack cable.
i seldomly rely on a drumsound library. more like snatching of new drums (from spotify, youtube, sp-forums :shock: ), i like to see the drum finding as a part of my process.

but i also like to save the sounds and samples i made beats with on a cheap tascam dr 40. i also record my beats to that device. nice quality, handy with a power bank and also works as a kind of walkman :P and i have my own beats on it everywhere i go.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:23 am 

for me, i definitely wouldn't use a phone, but that's because i'm an audiophile. it will ruin the quality sampling mp3s

if i had to travel, i'd definitely bring multiple SD cards for my 404sx ( i have two SDs full of drum samples only, completely full) and another SP so i could bounce them back

IIIII wrote:
he can turn water into a beat, and feed a thousand dancehalls with only two drumbreaks