It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:54 pm

Post subject: 202 Secret Crush FX
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:11 am 

First off love the forum, been reading things for years, and made an account just to post this for all the 202's out there.

So by accident I recently stumbled upon an interesting thing, a sort of "Easter egg" or "glitch", basically just some crazy crushing Lofi effects in the 202. Never seen it mentioned anywhere, curious if anyone was aware.

Posted a YouTube link below

First off works better on anything under hifi samples.
Play 1st sample with "time" effect on, then play another sample with no effect on top, then turn on either "filter 1/2" or "ring mod" on the 2nd sample, it will cut out the 1st sample, and then select "time" effect on 2nd sample (don't turn fx off between the fx change) and that's when it should send it into this "Secret Crush".

It's easy to see the process in the video I posted.
It seems these glitches happen when you push the 202 into combinations it's not capable of. I have not tried every variation yet so there may be some more "glitchs" in the machine, would not surprise me.

One note, depending on where the fx knob is set for the "filter" or "ring mod", prior to switching to "time", the crush will sound different. Once you start messing about you'll hear.

Another note, there seems to be some stuff happening if you apply the same process but turn the "delay" on instead of "filter 1/2" or "ring mod". From what I remember "time" and "delay" cannot play simultaneously, but when you do this there seems to be somthing going on. Again still experimenting.
Anyway watch the vid, It's easy to see what I'm trying to explain.

Sorry for the long post, but hope someone gets a kick.

PEACE

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XtLn-MBGrf0

Post subject: Re: 202 Secret Crush FX
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:38 pm 

super weird OS glitch, thanks 4sharing :mrgreen:
I can replicate this on mine so it's not just yours

I did some Mad Lazy Grouch Testing™ and it seems to me this is roughly goin on:

when you switch the 2nd sample to TIME or DELAY it replaces the 1st sample with TIME in the internally 'playing' memory or whatever the hell it's doin with the 2nd sample with TIME but it leaves the 2nd sample with the filter/rm looping

when they both play at the same time it modulates itself somehow, my first guess is AM just cause it's super mild but I won't bet any money on being right

no clue if it's cause it's the same sample and it playing twice is writing the combined values down to the playback buffer as a single sample or what, I'm not an engineer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:31 pm 

Nice, I'm happy to hear it happens on all 202s.

Like this box decided 2017 let's get lowerfi 8)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:50 pm 

haha nice find!