It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:05 am

Post subject: a bit confused about import vs load etc
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:50 am 

Hi, the thing is that I don't plan to use SP606 for sampling that much but rather would like to fill all the CF banks (9-32) with imported WAVs (about 500 in total including the shortest once that will go in banks 1-8). Now only 200 files are available for import right? If so, beside chopping option to 16 pads bank by bank, is there really no other way to import all the samples, in parts maybe like from different folders or over USB? Also, is import only required once and when samples are loaded and assigned to chosen pads, they stay there after power off (if I leave in or put in the same CF card of course)?

Also, samples loaded onto pads of internal banks 1-8 get compressed right? What about WAVs imported and loaded from CF in 9-32 bank pads?

Thanks

Post subject: Re: a bit confused about import vs load etc
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:50 am 

Hi,

Some RE to part of your questions:

All samples get the data-compression treatment, both the internally stored ones, as well as those on CF-card. But it sounds decent.

I don't readily recall the 200 sample limit, but if so it'll indeed be in the manual. I guess the most obvious way is to change CF-cards, but I understand you want all those samples readily accessible.

Not meant as a joke: you could also consider a second SP-606 & mix the outputs. Stuff as nice as this and as old as this, when I run into a decent deal I buy a spare, which could of course be used alongside right away.

Yes, sample-import & -assignment only needs to be done once. Hey, it takes already enough time for import, so gladly it's a one time only process ;-)

Bye

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:59 pm 

Hi, MotorBongo! Yes the manual says 200 files on CF is the limit for import. Switching CF cards for me is not an option cause I need all the samples in one project.
The thing I don't really understand is if the limit on the CF is 200 files does this limit also relate for already imported / loaded samples onto pads? If that's the case, then there is impossible to have all the banks filled right? In fact if only 200 files are allowed to have on CF, you only can import 100 WAV files because each imported WAV file generates additional converted to Roland format sample therefore additional 100 files are added to the card?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:33 pm 

Hi,

After the .wav-files have been converted to Roland-format you can delete the .wav-files!
So that sure reduces the number of files on the card and also the CF-card-space.
In fact I simply nEEd to remove the already converted .wav-files, since I'm using quite a few longer samples. The SP-606 can easily run into some kind of memory-limitation if I don't keep ample space on the card.
So it looks like the free card memory is used as 'the workbench' memory for the conversion. Note I already use the max size (512).

You're right, the 200-number & the possible slots (32*16) are not consistent. No idea what forms the limitation. For me I expect I run into the max card size (those long samples you know) before I hit the 200-number.

But even then, still with reasonable free space on the card, certain new long samples can't get converted. I assume the required 'workbench-memory' can be a multiple of the final sample-size. A way around that (haven't tried) would be to place the longer samples first and the shorter ones last.

Bye

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:41 pm 

MotorBongo wrote:
Hi,

After the .wav-files have been converted to Roland-format you can delete the .wav-files!
So that sure reduces the number of files on the card and also the CF-card-space.
In fact I simply nEEd to remove the already converted .wav-files, since I'm using quite a few longer samples. The SP-606 can easily run into some kind of memory-limitation if I don't keep ample space on the card.
So it looks like the free card memory is used as 'the workbench' memory for the conversion. Note I already use the max size (512).

You're right, the 200-number & the possible slots (32*16) are not consistent. No idea what forms the limitation. For me I expect I run into the max card size (those long samples you know) before I hit the 200-number.

But even then, still with reasonable free space on the card, certain new long samples can't get converted. I assume the required 'workbench-memory' can be a multiple of the final sample-size. A way around that (haven't tried) would be to place the longer samples first and the shorter ones last.

Bye

Hi, ok thanks but is it possible to delete already converted WAVs right after they are loaded onto pads and right from the 606 panel or has to be done over USB because I can't find info on directly deleting WAVs in the manual from CF? Also, I am not sure about how save as backup work. Is it a necessary thing to do after importing and loading all the samples onto pads for the first time and before switching off the unit or the project gets automatically saved on power off and loads automatically on the next power on and backup is just that, a backup copy option?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:41 pm 

Hi,

It's been a while, so the exact details escape me.

But what I forgot to mention previously: all my loading of samples to the SP-606 was without any USB-connection to a computer. I'm using an USB-card reader connected to a PC, there I put the .wav-file(s) (of proper properties) on the CF-card (the CF-card must be formatted on the SP-606 IIRC) and then pull out the CF-card & insert it in the SP-606. After having loaded/imported on the Roland, do a proper eject and it's back again with the CF-card to the PC/card-reader, for a next batch of samples. Before I put these on the card, I remove the previous batch of .wav-files.

Be sure not to toy around with the CF-card contents from the PC (the CF-card is recognized by the PC, but best not to tamper with it, possibly the Roland then no longer accepts it).

W.r.t. backups: I simply drag the contents of the CF-card over to the PC. Unfortunately the Roland conversion process has changed all meaningfull names of your .wav-files into numbers IIRC (but hey, that's exactly what I saw happening on an iPOD shuffle & the likes ;-) ).

Hope this is clear. It's indeed a bit of hassle, but as long as you don't hit the limits it works.

Have a good weekend

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 1:52 am 

Since all my samples (384 stereo WAVs/9-32 banks fully filled) will be about 4 seconds long, there should be no problem with memory size right? It takes about 140MB (calculated to Roland STANDARD grade format and with all source WAVs deleted from card of course). I assume STANDARD is the grade type of compression used for conversion when importing WAVs from CF onto pads?

Now real question remains what's the max nr of Roland converted stereo samples (from stereo WAVs) CF can really hold. Anyone tried to fill all the banks successfully while at the same time deleted all the source WAVs? This info for me is crucial so please someone confirm if this is doable.

Also, any difference in importing (especially regarding to max nr of files) with USB cable (mass storage mode) vs switching CF back and forth between PS606 and PC card reader method? Thanks!