It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:52 am

Post subject: Can a 606 expert give me some tips?
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 7:04 pm 

Hey SP Forums, I'm new a new user but I've been studying things as a guest on here for awhile. I have an SP 606 and know the machine pretty well but, I've been having an issue with recording patterns with looped samples.

For example, if I have a bassline as a loop to play continuously through a pattern it will play fine but when the pattern starts over it cuts weirdly. It's the same for drumbreaks. I'm at my wits end, I've tried increasing the time signature and the amount of measures but it only ends with an awkward distasteful cut to begin anew no matter what.

How do you get a looped sample to work with a pattern so that when a pattern starts again it's a clean loop?

Also I'd like to ask how do I export songs from my SP?
The manual said nothing of it and when I've tried connecting my SP to my mac to try to export stuff nothing happens. Thanks for your time.

Post subject: Re: Can a 606 expert give me some tips?
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 9:30 pm 

Only individual samples can be exported as wav files in cf card.
For "exporting" a song you need to record it in a DAW where you set SP-606 as your audio device.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 6:44 pm 

korakios wrote:
Only individual samples can be exported as wav files in cf card.
For "exporting" a song you need to record it in a DAW where you set SP-606 as your audio device.

Thanks man. I had just figured that out and got Audacity. Just another question, do you know how to record the audio in without noise ruining it? Every time I do it it sounds clean going in, but in playback it has all this bs noise and it's really frustrating.
I don't think anyone would like to do hella post production just to record their beat how it should sound normally.

I'm doing this all thru the usb connection just to clarify.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 7:07 pm 

To isolate the problem could you export from audacity the wav file and play it with another player in your mac with the built-in soundcard?
Does it sounds right?

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 8:31 pm 

korakios wrote:
To isolate the problem could you export from audacity the wav file and play it with another player in your mac with the built-in soundcard?
Does it sounds right?

I tried that afew times and the noise still persists. I'm totally stuck :l

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 7:22 pm 

could you upload a sample to hear the noise?

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 11:49 pm 

korakios wrote:
could you upload a sample to hear the noise?

I don't know how to do that, like where to post it but I've got some other news.
So I tried using an aux as the input to Audacity rather than using the usb plug in and it's coming out crisp how it should sound.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 9:34 pm 

Patterns, I don't like them myself for the reason you mentioned. However, you can have clean looping patterns, if you don't mind some mathematics. Don't know if I can explain this, I just do it naturally and never spoke of it, bare with me.

Lets say you sampled a drumloop, and you trimmed it just nice and it plays excellent when you set it to Alternative to loop. Now truncate it. Go take a look at the waveform, the start point should say zero and the end point will read a large number. Lets pretend the end point reads 32400 (example), keep that in mind.

Now you want a bassline, so you sample some Charles Mingus and got a dope piece which also plays aligned with your drumloop but it rides off slightly, so you gotta trim it up some. So, right now you know your drumloop's end point is 32400. Your bassline should be either exactly 32400 or 32400 divided by 2,4, or 8. lets say you trimmed it to 16200 (32400/2=16200). Now when you play these two samples together, they will loop infinitely and perfectly.

And thats what you want when you build patterns. Samples with perfect start and end points that relate to each other mathematically.

But you not ready to toss those samples in the pattern YET!

Now look at the BPM of the sample and input that as the BPM of the Pattern. Count how many bars are those samples and input that into the Pattern.

Then viola! Infinite looping pattern without flaw.

Of course, if you don't want to go through all that hassle, you can just resample your way to perfect loops and stay away from the Pattern Sequencer and just use the tools of Sample Edit :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 3:29 am 

Ill Green wrote:
Patterns, I don't like them myself for the reason you mentioned. However, you can have clean looping patterns, if you don't mind some mathematics. Don't know if I can explain this, I just do it naturally and never spoke of it, bare with me.

Lets say you sampled a drumloop, and you trimmed it just nice and it plays excellent when you set it to Alternative to loop. Now truncate it. Go take a look at the waveform, the start point should say zero and the end point will read a large number. Lets pretend the end point reads 32400 (example), keep that in mind.

Now you want a bassline, so you sample some Charles Mingus and got a dope piece which also plays aligned with your drumloop but it rides off slightly, so you gotta trim it up some. So, right now you know your drumloop's end point is 32400. Your bassline should be either exactly 32400 or 32400 divided by 2,4, or 8. lets say you trimmed it to 16200 (32400/2=16200). Now when you play these two samples together, they will loop infinitely and perfectly.

And thats what you want when you build patterns. Samples with perfect start and end points that relate to each other mathematically.

But you not ready to toss those samples in the pattern YET!

Now look at the BPM of the sample and input that as the BPM of the Pattern. Count how many bars are those samples and input that into the Pattern.

Then viola! Infinite looping pattern without flaw.

Of course, if you don't want to go through all that hassle, you can just resample your way to perfect loops and stay away from the Pattern Sequencer and just use the tools of Sample Edit :mrgreen:

Wow thanks so much man. I had figured out a much easier way that I had mentioned above but that is extremely useful. That's great information because I don't want to just take a laptop or something to shows to play my beats everytime.

Producing on hardware and playing your stuff off a cpu kinda defeats the purpose of even having an SP, there's no soul to it.

Infinite respect to you man. That's some ninja ish 8)
Straight up SP Guru knowledge!
Also good call on Mingus, you've inspired me to revisit his work with a sampling ear :D

I think when I do put some videos on youtube someday I'll link you them to show you what you taught me in action. Thanks so much once again.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:16 pm 

Oonerspizm, it reads like you haven't matched your loops to the sequencer's BPM. You can find a loop's BPM by hitting func+13, scroll down to beat & measure then get the length right (for instance 4/4, 1/2 for a half bar loop). The screen now shows the loop's tempo.

This is based on the start & end trim points of the sample, so what plays when you press the pad (not the absolute start & end of the sample).

Set the BPM of the pattern to the loop & it'll work. Also be aware of the sample playback method. If you gate a looped & gated sample play for a duration that doesn't evenly fit into the pattern you'll also get weird results. Check the sequencer's microscope editor & remember that the 606's note resolution's 96 parts-per-quarter-note, so a bar is 384 long.

Got a gated half bar loop you want to play over 4 bars with the sequencer on & a smooth transition back the first beat on the first bar? Get that loop to trigger at 00-00-00 & give it a gate time of 1536. Or just set the sample trig mode to shot & just hit it every half bar.