It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:26 pm

Post subject: mv8000 noob
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:57 pm 

so i copped this ok deal, it gots a floppy and cd burner, so i thot it would be minimal like a 2kxl or something, i know these things are savage, only thing is cant make music on it because i dont know what to do. so used to mpc, so whats throwing me off , is cant really make a new track real fast, like if i want hats on one track and kicks on the other midi track. so i finally figured it out a bit with out the manual, i dont know how to switch patterns tho, or how to use the song section, i made a 2 bar pattern on the song part then figured out to use the patterns , its kind of jarring , to go from a workflow that works to having to figure out everything again from scratch without the manual,

is it better to record samples to the audio tracks , or sample them and program them into the midi tracks ?

is the pads always sound weird and off time when you smack them, ? cause on the mpc its real responsive and sounds good.

ok, theres probably a million threads, but moved to turkestan and have no internet to read all of them, can anyone do a quick walk through of how someone coming from mpc can adapt to this alien world and get back to work ?

i got the manuals so i will read them soon and hopefully get this figured out, i was wondering if there is an actual advantage to learning all this, oh is there a way to make a song from patterns and then rap over it all in the box ?

Post subject: Re: mv8000 noob
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:43 am 

the sequencer resolution by default is much finer than the mpc's. you can adjust it back to get what feels like more "accurate" pad strikes.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:10 am 

yo thanks, i mean the pad strikes feel not so natural when I try to press them in real time, if i use time correction then they will quantize, well I had to put it to the side, untill I can watch all the tutorials and read the manual and get a better grasp on work flow, the sound seems a bit muffled, not shure if emphasising all the samples will help, or some post mastering to excite the highs will work. anyway, I was able to record some bass guitar over a drum loop, pretty much the only sampler I ever used that does it that easy, I mean like on MPC, you can do it, just not really multi track style visually like that. if anyone else has tips to help get me started will be apreciated.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:23 pm 

MV is some wicked sorcery.

I'm on the the MV8800, hopefully this will help.

Lets start at sampling.

After sampling something, at the bottom screen gonna be 3 options to either assign to Audio Phrases or Patch or into memory. If you like controlling samples with an external controller and other features via MIDI, then choose Patch. If you like sampling like an SP303 and working with samples as such then choose Audio. Afterward you will be ask to which pad you wish to assign it on.

My experience is that choosing samples to be patches will function like an MPC but the editing and modelling features are more synth orientated. I sample mostly as Audio Phrases because its like SP editing features and I resample chunks of performances as stems to build tracks.

You can build tracks with both kinds of samples but one use is greater than the other. Patches would be drum kits and synths and Audio Phrases fit for sampling vinyl and such :)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:27 pm 

yo man thanks, everything about the machine is so alien to me, i keep trying to learn, except I am approching it wrong each time, I need to learn how to play this instrument, before I can play it, I sit down all hyped to make a beat, then I'm like uh, I can't even get notes to the sequencer, well they show up, nothing plays back tho. a few things I really need to learn to get going I think.

I need to get comfortable with the patterns and how to lay them out into song mode.

I wonder if it is possible to record entire vocal tracks to make a full rap or other pop style song, even if I have to do it 16 bars at a time.

another thing, when a sample is 1 shot , and its on the sequencer, how do you make it so it does not double up, when you press the same pad live, like mono or 1 voice polyphony.

appreciate the replys so far, will keep trying. it almost seems like a bad joke, against people with bad learning habbits. I heard phantom is almost the same to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:00 am 

I felt the same LO- and the MV8800 was my first sampler. Took me so long to figure out how to do basic shit on it.
With the sampling what I tend to do is sample everything to an audio phrase. If I'm just gonna loop it I'll keep it there. If I wonna chop it I'll chop it to a patch and play it out on the pads.
MV8800 is a beast, I've barely touched the surface.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:29 pm 

There is a cheat sheet for MPC users at rolandus.com. Like for example, Mute Groups on MPCs are called Exclusive Groups on the MVs.

I will make a vid asap to show how to sample, chop and make a beat on the MV. Its really fun once you know stuff. I was like you guys at one time. I fux with SPs and MPCs but the MV threw a monkey wrench at me, then laughed at my failure. Now, I fly through this machine. Only thing that slows me down is load times but its all gravy.

I must warn you all, my style and way of making beats on the MV is unorthodox than what Roland intended but thats the beauty of this box. It actually customizes itself to fit your workflow. Just gotta know the features.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:21 am 

yo thanks for the comments everyone, and ILL GREEN cant wait to check out your mv8000 video, after watching more videos and sitting down and learning exlusive groups and pattern a bit better,i found most my trouble was not knowing how to use MENU. so now i can almost make a full song, one thing i cant find any videos on is how to do multi track audio in song mode, it appears you can only have one track of audio in a pattern. still going to be a bit of time before im comfortable enough to develop a work flow, and figure out the fx and mixer section, but wow, its been months and i still am such a noob, this machine makes it feel like learning to fly a fighter jet or tank.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:17 am 

Yes, gonna make this video tomorrow or Tuesday night, been sculpting and building new shit I drew up, but now amazon just delivered a tripod so I'm good to do this vid correct.

I don't mess with pattern mode, but its dope when you place these patterns in Song Mode. I use a lot of Song mode, you can have 8 audio tracks and 64 MIDI tracks. What I hate about the audio tracks is that you can only play one pad at a time. I hate that shit, this is the MV, it should be godlike power!!! Work around for this is to resample performances onto single pads and use that in audio tracks. If you do this, remember to Normalize to get the exact volume or your resample will sound slightly lower than the original sound.

If I get my gasmask back tomorrow, I'll post it by tomorrow night :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:12 am 

Ill Green wrote:
Yes, gonna make this video tomorrow or Tuesday night, been sculpting and building new shit I drew up, but now amazon just delivered a tripod so I'm good to do this vid correct.

I don't mess with pattern mode, but its dope when you place these patterns in Song Mode. I use a lot of Song mode, you can have 8 audio tracks and 64 MIDI tracks. What I hate about the audio tracks is that you can only play one pad at a time. I hate that shit, this is the MV, it should be godlike power!!! Work around for this is to resample performances onto single pads and use that in audio tracks. If you do this, remember to Normalize to get the exact volume or your resample will sound slightly lower than the original sound.

If I get my gasmask back tomorrow, I'll post it by tomorrow night :mrgreen:

follow for sure
i am curious about the MVs

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:00 am 

the tutorials are hard to follow, if a paper manual came with the 8000, then I would have sat down, like any other box, and follow the steps and read the hints. i had an old OS, and couldn't find the manual, so I read, the 8800 and 8000 v3.5 turbo start. which didn't help either much, because the older OS some features are named differently. it's still a lot of programming to make banks, patches and libraries. now that I have it tilted, i can work in daylight and it is more ergonomic to be over it. kind of like flying a spaceship. anyway the title of this thread is embarrassing, as I can almost make a quick start tutorial of my own, the technical stuff set me back, now like RZA says, 'everything is at the snap of a button' .

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:37 am 

Have yet to make this vid but its coming :mrgreen:

Read up on the Screen Manual, thats more insightful than the actual manual for it tells you what every feature does.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:04 pm 
Most Helpful Member of the Year '09

LO- wrote:
which didn't help either much, because the older OS some features are named differently.

I would recommend looking for the latest software update for the MV8000 if it did not come with the latest (yes, some of the earliest software versions for the MV8000 were actually pretty bad). Be careful, you can't put the MV 8 8 0 0 version OS on a MV 8000 if I recall correctly.

Also, I would take a look at the videos made by Mike Acosta. He shows you what to do and how to do it. That stuff in terms of work-flow and what buttons to look for is fairly universal to both the MV8000 and MV8800.

www.myspace.com/phemoxband
www.myspace.com/phemox
www.soundclick.com/phemox

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:51 am 

PHeMoX wrote:
Be careful, you can't put the MV 8 8 0 0 version OS on a MV 8000 if I recall correctly.

That is correct. You will brick your MV trying to update it with another MV's OS.

MBP 11,3 | Logic Pro X | Ableton Live 9 | Traktor Pro 2 | MPC3000LE, MPC4000, MPC500, MPK-49 | MV-8800, (2) TR-707, TR-808 & TR-909 | (3) ASR-10 | x0xb0x #911 | (2) Technics SL-1200MK1 & SL-1200GLD | 4000+ records