It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:40 pm

Post subject: Loop BPM Truth
PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 4:56 pm 

I couldn't currently think of a better title regarding this...
Do any 404sx users have problems getting, true bpms and loops that share the same bpm to sync up?
I feel like I cant trust the bpm I'm seeing and I have to try a couple tricks to get a close to something exact. Even after that, I find that two samples set to the same bpm are not actually the same.

This isn't a huge problem, I can think of different/manual ways to get round it, but I'm wondering if I missed something in the owners manual or if this otherwise common.

peace

Post subject: Re: Loop BPM Truth
PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 7:03 pm 

the more you slice , the more you match the bpm

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:50 am 

tap tempo is your friend.

Roland SP-404MKIIx2,
Korg microSTATION,
Roland Verselab MV-1,
FLStudio 20 & Akai Fire,
Maschine MKII & MKIII,
UbuntuStudio / KXStudio,
https://soundcloud.com/mr-thraz

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 1:08 pm 

when i sample synths the bpm is truth but in music the bpm can be 90.4 for example and the sp can be confused in this case

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 9:16 pm 

sometimes the sp is a bitch.
try to fiddle with the start/end point and make it work.
or play the "loops" (with loop off) in the sequencer and make them repeat
thats my way to avoid "the drifting".

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:21 am 

usually i find that every time i chop, i get a true tempo, like someone said before, play with the start and end points. usually if you have a true solid loop, it will work, and you can tell if it's inbetween tempos by checking the time/bpm in double tempo, it won't be an even number, it will show an odd number. that's when you know it's off and you'll probably have to use the pattern sequencer in double time or maybe time stretch, which perfects the tempo, but loses tremendous audio fidelity.
the off chance that i have a perfect loop and my machine doesn't recognize it, i get on my computer and go to all8.com for the tap bpm
-edit-
tap tempo in the pattern sequencer is a little awkward to work with, but you can use it just as well to figure out what tempo you're working with

IIIII wrote:
he can turn water into a beat, and feed a thousand dancehalls with only two drumbreaks

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:03 am 

.. i always found the 404 akward to get definte loop .. after creating the loop and hitting the start and end point in on the fly .. anything after 1 resample usually would fucc up .. as somebody stated .. the 404 seems to deal in full bpm's and not 0.1's or anything other than a rounded number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:40 am 

I have a 505, so I think my options are a little different, but I spend a lot of time making my cuts, especially on the starting point.

I have a visual editor on mine, but I don't think it is required for the way I do it. I always make sure that the initial hit feels right when I press the pad; as soon as I hit the pad I want it to sound immediate and like ONE (ie- ONE and TWO and THREE and FOUR and). It is really a feel thing for me, so I go back and forth hitting the pad a hundred times until it feels good to me. I almost always zoom in several times; I don't cut based on the visuals, I do it to get a finer adjustment. You just want to make sure you don't change the sound of, say, a kick or tambourine by cutting off too much of the attack. Once I get that initial hit right then I feel like I can get a good end point.

If I want to have the sample loop itself, I will turn the loop option on, cut it close to where I need it to loop, then listen to how it loops while tapping my finger on the SP (I mean, you can tap wherever, but I do notice a difference for me if I tap somewhere else. Maybe superstition). I check and see if that ONE hit hits right when my finger expects it, then adjust accordingly. Once I think I have it that way I'll listen to it without tapping or a metronome and try to get in the groove. I'll listen to see if I can find the seam, or if I can detect a slight hesitation or jumping ahead. This second step is to make sure it feels right, grooves right, swings right; IMO it isn't good if it is technically correct but doesn't groove. If I can get it then you will have an X-bar groove and it should be easy to get the bpm, or you might not even need it.

Sometimes if the situation calls for it or I am lazy I'll just get the start point and use the sequencer to start it right on 1.1.00 and just adjust the BPM of the sequence until it loops correctly. You'll know after that.

I really don't like resampling after I get the loop.

I am not even that good, so I am not sure why I wrote this wall of text.