It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:27 pm

Post subject: BOUNCING BEATS OFF 303, MIXING AND MASTERING ETC.
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:58 am 

Seeking peoples methods or advice on getting beats off the sp303
for mixing/mastering purposes.
How do you do it?

My experience:
I bounced a beat into my friends macbook (303->interface->ableton)
I turned all the track levels to zero except for highhats, recorded the loop
and then repeated for snares, kicks, samples.
The problem with this was the tracks out of time with each other. After matching them up all over again i realised i might as well have done the whole thing on ableton in the first place, so i wanted to know how to record tracks separately but keep a point of reference so i can match them up in the DAW.

Analog mixing:
I have a tascam 488 portastudio (cassette and mixer) but the cassette component doesn't work on it so i can't record. :roll:
Shame, because i love the sound of the preamps and EQ.

Anyone have a advice on a simple method for bouncing out to analog for mixing or even to DAW?

Post subject: Re: BOUNCING BEATS OFF 303, MIXING AND MASTERING ETC.
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:15 am 

Last edited by commercial on Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:25 am 

Yeah i used to do a sound on quatntize at the start of my sequence on the mpc2000xl but you cant do it on the 303 unless you have it in the pattern while you make the beat which is too annoying surely.

I dont understand the fx trick?
Pan tricks dope

What do you bredrin bounce out to? This tascams broke i need a new idea, otherwise ill go buy a new tascam.

What equiptment do you bounce finished beats to?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:09 pm 

About FX muting:
He is saying that instead of manually turning the sample's LEVEL down pre-recording you can use an effect that's setup ahead of time to act as a "mute group" of sorts. You engage said effect on all the pads/samples you DO NOT want recorded as opposed to turning them each down.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:45 pm 

Use midi sync. But take care since sp and ableton need about 1 Bar to run perfectly in sync. So if u have for example 2 Bar Loops. Record 4 Bars and take the last 2.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:14 pm 
303 Award Winner '09

All that is too time consuming, just open ableton, insert and audio track and arm it to monitor the sound from the 303. Now just start your first sample loop, set ableton bpm to match you 303 bpm(obviously) then turn on the metronome and switch the global record quantize from 1 bar to 1/8 notes and then you you just click the global play button in time with you 303 sample your are monitoring and release it on the 1st down beat. Now ableton is in time with your 303 sample, just hit record button in the track on the 1st downbeat and again at the end of your loop or you can let it play out and go back into clip view for that sample, set up a 2 or 4 bar loop bracket and select what portion you want to use. If you do this on all you tracks they will all match up no problem. I find it useful to switch back to 1 bar global quantize after I match abletons internal metronome to my 303 sample I'm monitoring/recording because when you hit stop record it will automatically stop recording on the beginning of the next measure. If you leave it at 1/8 or or 1/4 note it may end a little premature depending on your timing...so make it easy on yourself and switch back to 1 bar quantize. This is dope because you can jam out on a 303 loop using all the 303 effects and then go back a choose what parts fit your needs using the clip view loop bracket. This is pretty much my exact process for recording my 303 tracks, then you can get all nutso with sidechains(compression/gate) huge reverbs, real eq's and all that fun shit.
If you need clarification let me know, I'm a horrible writer.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:32 pm 

I come here asking 4 advice and appreciate anything any1 can offer--peace.

I have been using sp 303 for about a year now--Because I really wasnt getting with the 303s sequencer, I began to integrate it with and sequence into Abelton so I essentially use the 303 for chopping up and recording drums, and its sound.
My issue is that my finished products, once bounced from SP, then from ableton, sound of low quality--not the warm sound the everyone is looking for but rather each instrument (drum, sample) sound almost flattened and squashed--they lose much of their character once the beat is exported. I am not an "audio" guy so I am finding it difficult isolating where exactly my issue is.
___
I will walk you through my process-- From Sp, I record a drum pattern as 1 audio track into ableton. I will then chop up a sample via ableton and record pattern. From there I continue to layer and arrange beat on ableton. At this point, what I typically do is bounce the entirely arranged beat from ableton into 1 pad on the SP (could this be my issue?) and I may have compressor on as I do this. I might then re-record the entire beat (from one sp pad) back as 1 audio track on ableton and export as .wav from there.

Again, I am just sort of looking to isolate where my issue is--
For those deeply experienced SP users, does this sound like something that would cause issues to the finishing product? Or Does this sound like an issue with my mastering/exporting on ableton?

Thank you for any advice any1 can offer. If there are an clarifications needed, pls ask.

Thank u

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:16 pm 

Make sure you aren't re-recording too hot as you bounce the audio back and forth.
Also, are you over compressing?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:51 pm 

Why not repair your Tascam multitrack?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:07 pm 

andy wrote:
Make sure you aren't re-recording too hot as you bounce the audio back and forth.
Also, are you over compressing?

Good looks on response.... I typically do turn the drive nearly all the way up when I am compressing. This could have something to do with it.

I tend to keep my levels somewhat low when bouncing back and forth.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:32 pm 

Of course it all depends on each sample but..how much mastering do folks really put in once beat is bounced from SP - Ableton? Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:14 pm 

personally i have done some battles (arena section) doing mix and mastering all in the box. i only used the final software to increase the volume, without vst.
you have to take care of EQing and Compressing single elementes and after that you can do the "final mix" with resampling the whole. Certainly, sp303 (and SPs) doesn't have multiband compressor to do a professional Mastering, but you can at least do a cool final mix with it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:45 pm 

fartproducer wrote:
Of course it all depends on each sample but..how much mastering do folks really put in once beat is bounced from SP - Ableton? Thanks

If you are bouncing audio back and forth between the sp and ableton live, try not to compress too much or at all until the end.

If I make something on the sp303, only the final resampled track will have the vinyl sim compression added as I bounce it to ableton live. Prior to that I dont compress anything unless I'm going for a certain sound fx.

So the final pad of the resmpled track will have the vinyl sim compressor on it while I record to ableton live.

Another thing to add is that I make sure my levels dont peak as im constructing the beat on the sp 303.

I record the to ableton live a few db below the peak. Then I usually parallel compress the track to give it some punch. I then slap a limiter on the master and boost the gain or other levels to my liking.

Most of the mixing is done on the 303 as I'm putting it together. It's not really "pro audio quality" but whatever.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:49 pm 

Whether if it's known or not

I think the main thing is to not over compress.

If you look at your final waveform on soundcloud, you dont want it to be a solid block. Over compressing it will just bring up the volume of every component and you'll lose a lot of the dynamics making it sound like a wall of sound. It'll just be really loud and details will be drowned out.

got to let your baby breath