It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:00 pm

Post subject: Need advice/opinions on electric bass guitars!
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:29 pm 

Alright, so I've been looking to get an electric bass guitar for quite some time to use in my beats, but never had the money for it. Now that I do, I've been reading up on them and watching demos on YouTube to see how they sound trying to decide which one to get. I've narrowed down my options to these four.

-Ibanez SR500
-Epiphone Thunderbird Classic Pro IV
-Washburn Taurus T24
-ESP LTD B-4E

So if any of you guys have had any of these or tried any of these let me know your opinion of them. Or if you guys have used them in your beats post a link so I can check it out.

I'm mainly looking at bass guitars made with mahogany because of it's nice low end. If you know of a better option in the $400-$600 let me know. I'm new to bass guitars, so any help is appreciated.

Peace!

Post subject: Re: Need advice/opinions on electric bass guitars!
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:45 pm 
Winner of Silver Medal
Winner of Silver Medal

I've used an ibanez (not sure of model) and several of my friends have owned Ibanez basses. Some people swear by them, others think they suck.
The more I think about it, it's like trying to ask which is better, an SP or an MPC when we know the answer is, "what does the end beat sound like?"

So that said, my personal experiences with Ibanez is that I felt it was easier to play. Even when the action was set up really high, the ibanez felt really easy to play, without much effort to push the strings into the frets.

I also for a while played on a (sorry, I'm probably butchering the name) d'armani or something of that nature. It's was difficult to play (required a lot more force on the strings than ibanez) but it sounded really really nice.

So I imagine you'll run into stuff like that...guitar that feels right, but doesn't sound as good as that guitar that's kind of a pain in the ass to play.

Post subject: Re: Need advice/opinions on electric bass guitars!
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:16 pm 

Hi,
If you're new to playing bass guitar I believe your tone will be more limited by your fingers than the wood. Starting out I'd say it's hard to go wrong with a Fender Jazz or Precision bass. James Jamerson and Duck Dunn played P-bass. I ran into a Mexixo made Jazz Bass in a pawn shop and bought it. Feels and sounds great. I use it with a Tech21 Sansamp Bass Driver DI.

My advice is try before you buy. How the neck feels in your hands is really important.