It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:23 pm

Post subject: Another SP to Compliment the 404 (?)
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:43 pm 

Just as the title tin states - I'm definitely interested in picking up another SP. I'm not the most knowledgeable about the differences between the SP boxes. The 606 and the 505 both look like contenders. Knowing what we all know about the 404... what other SP would you put on your desk to be the 'perfect' teammate?

Thanks d00dz

Post subject: Re: Another SP to Compliment the 404 (?)
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:03 am 

Depends on what you want. The 555 looks awesome for a sampling compliment to the 404. Having velocity sensitive pads USBinterface, looper, midi in/out , phantom power input, etc. The 606 looks like a decent sequencer. I've owned the 808. It's complicated but powerful and cheap (giving you a synth and amazing effects and a 4 track recorder). 303s are my personal favorite giving you a great sound but not a lot of sampling time. And the 202 gives you awesome pitching. I know a few people who had the 505 and they all had problems with it. Looks like an ok machine but it seems like An in between product. Could be dope though. Never got to see one in action.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:53 pm 

Just as monster said, what do you want another SP for? But I wouldn't say the 202's pitch is awesome 'cause it doesn't go a full octave in either direction.

Have you considered going outside the SP for another sampler? What about the Electribe SX for different FX, pitch, FX loop & external sequencing? The Sampletrack's supposed to sound great, also does pitch and has sampler nerd cred. Even a cheap MPC could be a good alternative (pitch, flexible external sequencer). All those will options will work around the 404's limits & do things SPs can't.

Got the 606 & I reckon it's great. Natch, it was my 1st sampler. The USB soundcard, 4 track sequencer with microscope edit, mute groups & 2xFX make it worth the cash. Many of the 606's effects are better than the 404SX too (compressor, isolator, vinyl sim, bitcrusher for a start).

Note that the 606 can't sequence external gear, it acts as a midi clock but you can't send note messages with it. :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:46 pm 

Thanks for the replies. In my opinion the one, major weakness on the 404 is that you cannot resample with EXT SOURCE engaged.

Lets say I get some drums going and want to dub myself playing a guitar or tablas on top and put it all on it's own pad... that is really the main goal in another SP, to get that sort of flow going. Other than that the 404 is right on the money for me, minus this one gripe.

I've heard that the 303 can do that.
Again, thanks for the words. I've got some manuals to thumb through. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:00 am 

The 303s definitely has that. It was for sure a bummer on the 404. Who says you just have to have one more? I mean why not have 20. And definitely look into other samplers. There are a lot of great samplers out there though I do love the workflow on the sp series. This is a good place for advice if you have a specific task in mind as a lot of people on here have experience with all sorts of gear.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:34 pm 

I'm a sampler addict for the most part but I just recently discovered & fell in love with the SP-series. I'll get this shit figured out! Looking like a cheaper 303 would do the trick.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:17 pm 

I got a 505 a few months back and it is a great partner for the 404. Mostly I just use the 404 but the ability to resample with ext on the 505 was its main selling point for me. I generally use it to resample pads with the 404/other instrument running through it.

Its 4 track sequencer is also an added bonus, I haven't used this much as I mainly use resample over sequencer but if you use the sequencer you can mute parts.

Its autochop function can also be pretty useful for chopping drums and samples and then deleting chops you don't need or want.

The screen is also great for visually chopping samples to get them in time.

The only thing I don't like about it, is how slow it takes to do things such as resampling, chopping, truncating etc. It seems to me that the 505 and 303 are very similar, the 303 i think has less features but seems to sell for double the price. The reason I would get a 303 over a 505 is just because it's smaller and would save a bit of space.

http://deathandco.bandcamp.com

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:44 pm 

Think I'm just going to wait on the new 'Tribe. Kinda feel that would be the smarter option right now. Hope it's dope-ilicious!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:37 am 

hey asha C , the SP 303 also has a way richer sound engine, maybe its the analog > digital converters (i hear) but the 303 has the best sound off all sp's , I would say 505 second, 606 third, then 404 og . 202 has the best lofi sound. if you sample it back into 404 hi fi.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:50 am 

I just got the Sampletrak and have only fiddled with it twice but I absolutely love it. It's almost like a 202 with resample. If I had to pick an SP combo and throw one away I'd probably go with 202+404SX and toss the 303. Now though... I'm thinking the 404SX and the ST are the ultimate combo. If only I could bring myself to make music =.=

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:35 am 

medearis wrote:
Thanks for the replies. In my opinion the one, major weakness on the 404 is that you cannot resample with EXT SOURCE engaged.

Lets say I get some drums going and want to dub myself playing a guitar or tablas on top and put it all on it's own pad... that is really the main goal in another SP, to get that sort of flow going.

Yes, I'm after the same thing - overdubbing with live instruments and getting a multitrack workflow with the SP. I recently got a Sampletrak to go with my SX but haven't figured it all out just yet. From what I understand I think it can do it.

The workaround is of course to loop a sample and record yourself on some other machine (digital recorder, tape deck etc) and then sample into the SP again. Not as fast, more cables.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:41 pm 

Yeah, true that. At that rate I might as well just plug into my DAW and just go to town. I have a decent setup I just never use it when I record my own music. Literally just work tools but I should probably have a more open mind, I guess. PFffffft. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:33 am 

SP404 + SP808

A few things I've found always relied on/taken for granted, but have come to realise are super about the 808 now that I've copped a 404

- 808 pads are smaller and wider-spaced and more responsive. There's also 16 of them and in resample you have 4-pad stereo polyphony.

- the way the hold button works on the 808 - with a sample on gate and hold, pressing the pad again will re-trigger it... having the hold button bottom-left means it's under your right thumb leaving 8 fingers to work those 16 pads. Unless there's some way to change it all I can work out is that a 404 pad on hold will turn off if you hit either the pad or hold button a second time.

- 64 banks (like, loads more sample time in the 404, but only ten banks?)

- 808 can overwrite pads in either resample or straight sampling mode.

- the undo/redo button!! Likewise the ' check sample yes/no try again' feature saves having to delete a failed attempt

- the clipboard button! So easy to move a sample around, rather than having to manually copy to another pad/delete the original..

- dual line/aux inputs & outputs

- auto-trim/auto divide - esp. auto-divide trims samples divided by 0.5-2.0 seconds silence means multiple drum shots can be loaded to a bank with one pass rather than each shot separate.

- sample edit in-screen, especially the ability to take a sample and halve it & halve it again as many times as you like from either start or end point

- the effects can be fine-edited in the back-end

- Vari-pitch wheel for bpm and pitch-tuning (this one is huge for me)

All that and there's no disputing what a great unit the 404 is and I'm loving focusing some time learning what it does best and what the 808 can't.

So far, mainly in terms of the quality of plus speed of triggering/playability of effects, the processing speed and crazy amount of sampling time (even with the 1GB card... remember, I'm used to 100MB!).

The two together - dammnn: just too too much much fun fun.

SP-808 | SP-202 | SP-303 | SP-555 | SP-404sx | OP-1 | Ableton 10 | Tascam 244 | Adobe Audition 1.5

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:00 am 

medearis wrote:
I'm a sampler addict for the most part but I just recently discovered & fell in love with the SP-series. I'll get this shit figured out! Looking like a cheaper 303 would do the trick.

I’m becoming a sampler addict. It gets interesting when you know just enough about what each of their strengths & weaknesses are. But I have other samplers I want to try just to see & hear how they color sounds that you sample into them. Having a SP202/404/505, S20, MS-1, PO33 & finally a ST224, you can almost chain them together to downgrade the sounds into each other, but reducing the sample rates so they just get lower & lower until you get crushy samples of your drums, strings, bass, vocals, etc.

I’ve got other ones to look into, but I’ll sit down with the 404/MS-1/PO33 and see what kind of beats I can do with all those.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:56 pm 

I'm a sampler addict as well. Good idea Headphones (chaining samplers to downgrade &/or color the sound).

When it comes to samplers, I have - sp404sx, MPC 500/1000/2500, Microsampler, po-33, Volca Sample, op-1, KP3+ ... & Maschine Mk3 (not hardware, but feels close :P

I love what the K.O. (po-33) does to the sound. That ran thru an Analog Heat gets dirty 8)

I plan on getting a Microgranny.... always wanted a 303, but I don't know. I have enough samplers, so it's like, why buy more? But I LOVE samplers..... & I love the sp series. Hhhhmmm

Thought about a Digitakt or Octatrack as well..... they have a different workflow than the samplers I currently have so I think either would be a nice addition.

https://sharris.bandcamp.com/