It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:05 am

Post subject: What would you do???
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:55 pm 

So there's a local thrift store in walking distance from our new apartment. I don't go there often, because alot of the stuff they sell is kinda junky (furniture, clothes, appliances, etc), but I was digging through their crates. The manager comes up to me, like he assumes I'm a vinyl hunter, and goes "I need to get rid of all these records, how would you like to buy them all for $400?".

Now, before I even go into too much detail, alot of these records are just straight up OLD!!! We're talking anywhere from 40's-early 80's, but kind of your average thrift store variety. Gospel records, Polka records, Organ Music, Banjos, easy listening records, maybe a little jazz, alot of classical, a bit of rock, pop, country, and maybe some odd and ends like how to learn Italian or Spanish records. Not too much funk/soul. No metal, psychedelic rock, hip hop. Basicly, this collection might have been something your grandparents listened to.....

Because of this, I kinda said...."I'm not interested in all of them for $400, but maybe I could spend $100, and get a good stack off your hands". He told me that he needed to make room in his store, and had a shipment coming in 2 days, so he wanted to move them soon. The records were going for 50 cents each, but I kinda had my mind racing. If I take even a portion of this collection, am I really going to find it even worth sampling, let alone tracking down a turntable to do so? Why do I care about such a old collection of BS? Is this just a deal that's a waste of money, or.....Maybe there's some gold in the crates. Something that a SP or ST-224 or MPC might be able to turn into heaven. Is it really just me judging the records by their covers? Is this just a good stepping stone into obtaining a huge ass record collection to get me started, and once I figure out what I'm keeping and getting rid of, I can build up around??

I could if I really wanted to, buy it all out for $400, but I've already committed to buying a Sampletrack for $200, and I'd rather not renig on the deal to say "Sorry, just bought hella vinyl"....I'm hella lucky I found this deal after I have moved in, but I'm not too sure I want my whole room taken over by all these OLD ass records, even if they already come with the milk crates. Even if I buy em', I'll need a dj mixer and turntable to use em for, and I also need studio monitors soon, a workstation desk, and maybe this is a deal I should just walk away from now, rather than buy them all just to find I don't like ANY of them, and there is nothing worth sampling....(I highly doubt that, but then again, how many BS Polka records would I really expect to flip??)

I'm trying to see the pros and cons of a deal like this...Or if it's just this manager's problem where they'll all go if I don't buy them.

Post subject: Re: What would you do???
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:26 am 

He's crazy to ask that much. You could just get the 10 useable records in there for five bucks. You don't need tons of bulk weighing you down. Besides, you probably don't want the thrift smell to invade your apartment.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:41 am 

That's what I'm almost thinking. And some of those were hella dusty, but then again, isn't that the joy of crate digging? I'm kinda thinking, maybe say "Okay, checkit, I'm gonna spend X amount, but I'm going to tell you right now, all your gospel records, or any repeats, I refuse to buy....". I spotted about 9 or 10 milk crates, and there were some repeats, but I kind of don't see myself tearing apart through them all day. But there was also a crate of 45's, and that may or may not have potential.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:49 pm 

I've got a lot of old shit like that, but I got it all for free from my moms friend, for free it would be an epic score, but its not worth money, if you are gonna drop $400 on vinyl that could be put towards shit that you actually want.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:09 am 

HELL no, at my thrift store i generally see about 5-10 things i want and 5-10 more i'm curious about, they'd have to pay ME to take their whole stock, it'd be a hassle to get rid of all the bullshit.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:32 am 

He's still sitting on all that vinyl, and maybe he can be talked down. Too bad I'm kinda busy with other projects right now, and I don't think I'd want most of what he's got. I'm sure there's some interesting things to flip, but most of it might be just more trouble than it's worth. If I have some extra pocket money, I might buy a few records, but I don't need the whole collection.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:20 am 

Like you said mate, it's not just the records but all the gear you gotta buy later to play those records. $400+ is too much to gamble on what could've been dug out before. The shop owner might be basing $400 on the face of the last fella who came in for a dig & took all the gold.

If you've never spent much time/effort digging for vinyl before now & you've already got your own sample sources, keep your money.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:28 pm 

I would pass. I've gotten free crates of records before and it was more of a hassle to go through them and sort/get rid of the junk I didnt want. Even when hand picking vinyls one at a time you acquire plenty of horrible records. If you're serious about getting some wax buy the turntable first. There's always gonna be deals on records if yer out getting your hands dirty. There's definitely no shortage of gospel, country, Barbra Streisand and Xmas records out there! And it's like... If you don't buy those records they will be there next week to dig thru.