It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:50 am

Post subject: the use(s) of the "remain" button on the SP 404
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:28 am 

could one (or more) of the 404 wiz on this forum please explain all the different things that can be done with the button "remain"... it seems to me from reading this forum and comparing it to the 404 manual, that the manual doesn't tell the whole story (or at least not that clearly)....

thanks !!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 1:03 pm 

for one thing:
while you hold remain, you can choose multiple pads to use the same effects.
-or- fx on pad 1. hold remain and pad one, light is on. press pad 2 while pad one is lit (holding remain). viola, fx's on 1&2. repeat for some other pads (might be easy to freeze machine if the workload is to high but i know there is a way to select the whole bank too (pg. 18,19)).

also remain can be used with cancel to format(?).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:37 am 

Hold [REMAIN] and hit any effect button once to apply FX to ALL samples-- not just one bank.

Holding [REMAIN] will also tell you how much battery life is left by looking at how many sample bank pads are lit up. If you have the 404 plugged in, then all the bank pads will light.

Using [REMAIN] to "anchor" FX timings is also important when you start applying Delay or other rhythm-based FX to multiple samples. I don't want to get into it here, it's a long bit to explain, but when you start applying FX to samples with BPMs different from your pattern, you'll need a trick to get the FX timing to trigger properly. I've explained it somewhere in this forum before, but I don't remember what thread it was in. When it comes up for you, I'll either find that thread or explain it again, or someone else will.

That's all I got right now, I just woke up on the wrong side of the night. It's 4:35 AM, I'm usually going to bed right now. Stupid staying up all night this weekend has totally thrown my internal clock off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:57 am 

Is all this info not clearly described in the manual?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:51 pm 
505 Award Winner '09

there's a wee trick w/ volume control as well. providing you DON'T have fx going.
let's say you've hit pad 1 & 2 and they're going on, and you want to bring pad 3 in w/ a volume swell.
you hold 'remain', tap pad 3, then hit 'level' and crank it down to the left (this way you've adjusted the volume without having to turn the pad on!).
then when you hit pad three, its playing but its volume is down.
so you hit level, swell it up. voila.

this means you don't have to work it out before jamming which pads need to have their volumes down, etc. etc.

NOTE: this gets a LOT tougher if you have FX on, cuz the 404 just figgers yr trying to throw fx on whatever pad you hit when holding 'remain'.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:02 am 

pt3r wrote:
Is all this info not clearly described in the manual?

Yeah... everything except the Rhythm Effect Timing Mechanism Anchoring technique.

They should just go ahead and put a dummy pad somewhere on the SP, so you could just assign it a BPM, and all the rhythm effects could line up to it.

EDIT: Oh, I just noticed that I didn't explain the anchoring technique here, oh well...