It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:26 pm

Post subject: Re: the mark mystery + the delete disaster
PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:01 pm 

can anyone do a video please, would love to see this in action.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:16 pm 

Did you read the pages of this thread? On page two there are 2 posts by Kel that have links to a video demonstrating this....

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:23 pm 

apologies just reading this on my iphone.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:21 am 

I think I get it,

for the SP-404SX

Get a 4-bar loop on Pad 1. Mark the first chop, no end point. func-copy to pad 2. Now Pad 2 has the whole sample starting from the marked chop and you mark again.

So correct me if I'm wrong, but every pad is going to go to the end, but they're going to start earlier. So Pad 1 (1-2-3-4) Pad 2 (2-3-4) Pad 3 (3-4) and Pad 4 (4).

Correct?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:13 pm 

gpbear wrote:
I think I get it,

for the SP-404SX

Get a 4-bar loop on Pad 1. Mark the first chop, no end point. func-copy to pad 2. Now Pad 2 has the whole sample starting from the marked chop and you mark again.

So correct me if I'm wrong, but every pad is going to go to the end, but they're going to start earlier. So Pad 1 (1-2-3-4) Pad 2 (2-3-4) Pad 3 (3-4) and Pad 4 (4).

Correct?

you were almost correct ahah I had my SX here by side so i tried. Yeah it's like you said but I 'll correct something essential:
1. Get a 4-bar (or whatever) loop on Pad 1.
2. Mark the first chop, no end point (note: you only can mark with no end point if you put the first mark - press pad 1, mark, press pad 1 again -, otherwise, we wouldn't be doing this at all)
3- Now you got pad 1 playing from the first chop without an end point. Func + Copy to pad 2.
4. Now you got pad 2 playing with a mark point in the beginning and no end point. If you try to press Mark again it will return to the beginning and tha's not what you want. Here is the thing you missed:
5.Press pad 2 with the mark in the beginning and Del + Mark + Del to truncate the first part of the sample on pad 2.
6. Now you got pad 2 playing from the mark point with NO (because you truncated it) mark, so you can Press again Mark e repeat steps 2-6
7- When you are on pad 3 (third chop) Press Del+Mark+Del and then repeat again all these steps and you will be chopping the sample :)
8. in the end and only if you want, go to each sample and loop it using the mark button at the start and the end (note: you will have to have notion on the next pad start point to loop it correctly and emulate that MPC style that you play all chops perfectly chopped.
9. truncate all the loops you have marked
10.Enjoy

*tested this myself right now using the SP-404SX inspired by gpbear explanation. If i got a camera I will post a video on the SX. It's easy tho. also after you looped every chop you can adjust the end point to loop even more perfectly*

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:56 pm 

lordarekkusu wrote:
gpbear wrote:
I think I get it,

for the SP-404SX

Correct?

you were almost correct ahah I had my SX here by side so i tried. Yeah it's like you said but I 'll correct something essential:
2. Mark the first chop, no end point (note: you only can mark with no end point if you put the first mark - press pad 1, mark, press pad 1 again -, otherwise, we wouldn't be doing this at all)
3- Now you got pad 1 playing from the first chop without an end point. Func + Copy to pad 2.
4. Now you got pad 2 playing with a mark point in the beginning and no end point. If you try to press Mark again it will return to the beginning and tha's not what you want. Here is the thing you missed:
5.Press pad 2 with the mark in the beginning and Del + Mark + Del to truncate the first part of the sample on pad 2.
6. Now you got pad 2 playing from the mark point with NO (because you truncated it) mark, so you can Press again Mark e repeat steps 2-6
7- When you are on pad 3 (third chop) Press Del+Mark+Del and then repeat again all these steps and you will be chopping the sample :)
8. in the end and only if you want, go to each sample and loop it using the mark button at the start and the end (note: you will have to have notion on the next pad start point to loop it correctly and emulate that MPC style that you play all chops perfectly chopped.
10.Enjoy

*tested this myself right now using the SP-404SX inspired by gpbear explanation. If i got a camera I will post a video on the SX. It's easy tho. also after you looped every chop you can adjust the end point to loop even more perfectly*

yeah. I was chopping in my head, once I took it to the SP I realized you had to truncate.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:24 pm 

Just figured out ~how to do this on a SX~,
so no need to truncate

1. resample your sample in reverse to another pad
2. reverse the newly reversed sample so it plays normally
3. hold mark button and play sample
4. press mark button again at desired point
5. repeat steps 3 & 4

This method basically tricks the sp into thinking it's marking the end point. but since the sample is playing in reverse it is marking the start.

Happy chopping~

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:01 pm 

lordarekkusu wrote:
gpbear wrote:
I think I get it,

for the SP-404SX

Correct?

10.Enjoy

Part 9, "truncate all the loops you have marked", you said. But aren't they all being truncated when you delete mark point. Does the above described method allow for a little extra time on the front and back of the chop so I have some flexibility when I miss my mark perfectly? I think I need chop loosely when chopping up a big sample, then go back and truncate them with the knobs?

If anyone has the time and inclination, please share a YouTube video of how this procedure plays out on the 404sx.

There is a YouTube video series by Chops Magazine online. Is the method he shows the same as what you cats are accomplishing up top here in your explanations?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:32 pm 

Metalcarpals wrote:
so no need to truncate

5. repeat steps 3 & 4

This method basically tricks the sp into thinking it's marking the end point. but since the sample is playing in reverse it is marking the start.

Happy chopping~

I'm confused. The SX chopping method described above does not involve the resampling procedure to my limited understanding.... That was on the OG 404 at least I thought. I shall persevere.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:25 am 

Metalcarpals wrote:
so no need to truncate

5. repeat steps 3 & 4

Happy chopping~

Thank You! Tried this on my SX and it worked like a charm.
I used to own Maschine MK2, but it was eating away at my CPU. plus the lights on the damn thing were fading. So i decided to sell that and go hardware. got me a 404SX. Maschine is probably the fastest chopper on the market... but with this technique i can be just as fast.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:52 pm 

i just got a sp404sx, can you direct me to the post where i can ask for help. ive formatted 2 sd cards only filled 1 with free .wav files im just stuck as how to get patterns onto pattern select button? im sorry for posting on your thread the mark+mystery, im intrigued.