It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:23 am

Post subject: Pro-Tools?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:43 pm 

Does anyone out there use pro-tools at all? I'm just curious if it stands up to the hype and how it compares to other software out there. Its just so expensive there has to be something special about it, Right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:02 pm 

it's good I guess... overpriced though.

Pro tools has way to many features for me. I only need something to record my tracks in, that's all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:50 pm 

There's plenty of DAW's that are as good as Pro Tools but it's the industry standard unfortunately.
If you plan on making music for a living(could be film,ads,tv,mainstream),you should get it but you do this for fun or to release on your own,you don't need it...
It's very good for audio but so does Reaper :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:42 pm 

word, reaper does the job.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:32 pm 

All protools packages aren't expensive. I have the original M-Box version, I thnk 6.4. The ONLY reason I got it was for post production purposes, like being able to send my tracks to any mastering facility on the planet and not having compatibility problems, at least thats what I was thinking originaly a few years back when I got it. (But this is not a problem however, because whatever software you use it can be converted, or whatever if the people working with it are skilled, and have what your working with. Most places ustilze a variety of software) Also working with other artist etc. Truth be told though, I still utilize my Roland VS-880 for a lot of work. And it is definatly NOT a neccesity to have protools. But for me its just somthing that I have just because it is Industry standard ya know. Peace, Duss.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:33 pm 
303 Award Winner '09

Like someone already said, it's really only a convenience if your work in the music industry. It's by far not the best program, digidesign was in the right place at the right time when everyone that makes music professionally were thinking about switching to all digital set-ups. I like acid pro and soundforge together but I find that I like adobe audition a lot better than pro tools for more complex audio editing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:29 pm 

Thanks for the info guys, it's good to know. Hey doc, what version of audition do you use? 1, 1.5, or 2? I have 1.5 and i love it, but i recently saw version two and it looks like its got a lot more stuff. Was the change from 1.5 to 2 mostly just cosmetic? Or does 2 have more features?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:24 pm 

I hate protools mainly because I hate digidesign as a company :) Pro tools software isint bad. Its strait foward and prett much works like a digital console. The LE hardware is trash for the most part. If ne one still has a fully funtional mbox or 002 consideryourselves lucky :) I like Live and digital performer.

www.myspace.com/djfrantic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:10 pm 
303 Award Winner '09

I use adobe audition 2, but I've used it since it was cool edit pro.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:48 am 

MusicFiend wrote:
Was the change from 1.5 to 2 mostly just cosmetic? Or does 2 have more features?