It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:30 am

Post subject: Loop Capture + Sampling (Bouncing)
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:55 pm 

I've been sleeping on this:

[1] Record stuff into Loop Capture;
[2] Start Sampling procedure;
[3] Before sampling, press Play on Loop Capture;
[4] Press Sampling;
[5] Record stuff;
[6] Be amazed.

Voilà - now I can record longer phrases (like live guitars and stuff) with FX and still get a rhythm going on.

All conceivable shortcomings aside, this is the only method that allows resampling + sampling inputs ITB.

Sampling to BPM/with a Count In/Auto Sampling should be useful for this.

I need to give credit to the guy that mentioned resampling + USB input on another topic, that's what made me look at the Signal Flow (Block Diagram) page again and realize this is possible.

Also, Roland Owner's Manual = fail. :evil:

Post subject: Re: Loop Capture + Sampling (Bouncing)
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:28 pm 

Now from memory I think samples seem to loop ok in loop capture immediatly after capture with the percision pedal technique. Its when you lob them over with save to pad it all goes the shape of a pear. (is that right? I need to check)

Hmm you may well be onto something there - maybe its the save to pad that is the issue and sampling the output from the loop capture with BPM turned on is the key to getting the loop to play nicely??

If that is the case then the over dubs can be done in the loop capture if they are at the length of the loop. Or like you say for longer then 4 bars stuff that you want to record you sample it in live against the four bar loop playing in the background.

This all needs a good test!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:56 pm 

Yeah - some loops will be right on with the metronome, some will be shorter, some will have clicks that weren't there before... Save to pad seems to mess with the end point or even the actual audio length. Getting the start point right, while tricky, is the easy part.

Wasn't thinking about this, considering there are no artifacts in the loop then Sampling to BPM would skip the random process of saving to pad.

Let the testings begin.

Hopefully there aren't as many issues with this method compared to Loop Capture by itself.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:22 pm 

I gave this a few mins last night to test what we were suggesting and got the following results..

Recording guitar into the loop capture is hard but after you get one into loop capture that fits and feels right on the loop, you do still get a click at the end (using 2 bar measure and pedal in against metronome). I'll give a go at the recording silence first next on that.

The other issue for me was getting the beginning of the repeating loop when I went to sample it.

Tonight I may try an auto-start on the sample part, but the click at the end of the loop will likely trigger it early (I'll also try the sensitivity settings 1-9 to see if this helps).

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:02 am 

After much trial and error last night I have had some big success with Loop Capture!! The Measured (1,2,4 bars) always add a click and should be avoided. Where as the 'Free' mode with a pedal to start and stop seems to capture the looping sample with ease. So I record against the metronome and pedal in when I start playing guitar and out where I want the loop to start over - and no clicks.

Then its save to pad and ignore the odd numbers on the samples BPM (I know its 70 or whatever the metronome was set to). The other peice I was missing here was that I can use the loop capture again to grab the looping sample (now on the pad with hold on) all or part of this in exactly the same way. This means I can loop the sample and practice the drums over it without any odd looping puting me off and when I have it I pedal in and grab the bit I want up to 15 seconds (I can't see that I'm going to need any loops longer than that at this stage coz I'll link my drum and guitar loops in the resample method).

All in one machine.
So IMHO I think that god damn nails it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:18 am 

And...

also nobody ever mentions how good the amp sim is on this machine, for plugging directly into. Different types of guitar distortion and speaker types. You can plug a tuned guitar (no tuner onboard) directly into this and you get good enough distortion to store riff ideas as usable loops.

A few more days of trying this out and I think I have defeated my loop demons. And now progress shall be made!

Thanks to all the guys who have posted stuff up here that have led me to this point and to SharpMotif for making me consider loop capture again.

This is one hell of a machine now I have a working loop capture pedal built in!

Rock on!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:20 pm 

I think we should have a sticky topic about Loop Capture to avoid the hassle of digging up old ones and using external search engines to find all the tricks/tips. I guess having just the links for the topics/posts about resampling, silence trick, etc would be enough.

The lack of a tuner is really a shame, maybe they didn't have enough room to implement it or just considered good enough that the D-Beam Synth can be used as reference. The display is not that different compared to the ones on the ME-50/ME-70.

The Amp Sim does sound really good considering the lack of tweakability, it's easy to get a good sound out of it and there's always resampling for refining with EQ or a filter.

Glad I could help Gary_Rock. While I do think Roland doesn't seem to care enough to support their product and that the issues are enervating, I've found a new love for my SP-555 after going through every little trick described in the manual/on the forums and focusing on getting things done. I mean, sure I'd like to get updates like KP3 users got from Korg (adding features and all), but this machine is quite capable as it is.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:14 am 

Yeah I have dug through all the posts and I've seen people mention the the Free technique and the Silence technique and tried it all before.

But I think last time I tried this Free technique I didn't think the results were good because the loop is not a standard bar length and how would I get another loop of the same length to run them in sync. But if I overdub over with the bits I want to add, it doesn't matter what the loop length is as long as it loops fine to start off with.

I guess I could also try having the guitar looping and retrigger the drum phrases as one hit samples.

Last night I layered drums over several riffs and bolted the bits together in a weak kinda test song. Ahhhh thats better!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:00 am 

Hi guys! I'm new and don't speak english so well...
I record some guitar lines with the function Loop capture, and I save to pad each of them. Then I play these sample by pressing the pads where I saved them (with Loop button active) but after some minutes of looping they go out of synch. And this is terrible for me!

In this topic do you have solved this problem? I've read it many times but I don't understand how I can solve.

Could write a little guide with steps? It will be useful also for others
Very thanks :)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:09 pm 

Yeah, i mentioned the silence technique a long time ago. But i got the 555 back and its like starting over, so this post is definitely helpful. I had a few glitches saving to pad when i use the measures. When i record free and save it, no issues. Weird. But its still a dope way to record quick, which i need cause ill tap out something real quick and dont want to lose it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:59 am 

springwater wrote:
Yeah, i mentioned the silence technique a long time ago. But i got the 555 back and its like starting over, so this post is definitely helpful. I had a few glitches saving to pad when i use the measures. When i record free and save it, no issues. Weird. But its still a dope way to record quick, which i need cause ill tap out something real quick and dont want to lose it.

Yeah loop capture is a great notepad for jotting ideas.

I use loop capture for all my sampling now. A real turn around I know. But with the metronome playing and pedal in and out on free I can get 70 and 90 BPM loops easy enough now. I take several goes at getting the feel right, so the loop feels in the right place to the guitar riff end point. But it's pretty accurate.

Now I'm using the sequencer without quantise for layering too I am stacking up sections really well and experimenting on the next layer again using the loop capture set to ext only (grab synth overlays while the sequencer plays and then add them to sequencer too).

I have 2 555s so next i want to get the sequencers running together so I can have two lots of fx and independent loops joining stuff together. Very exciting times for me as I've been struggling with getting from a live guitar based setup to a sampler based set up for ages and now it's going great guns.

The 555 is so powerfull but such a pain to get going on. I'd never have got there without this forum and you guys posting your hard earned experience :) cheers
Gary

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:13 am 

This might be bollix but...

If anybody reading this has issues grabbing a loop in loop capture I'd recommend setting the bpm and thus the metronome first - I'm not sure but it might be trying to resolve to the machines bpm clock when you end the capture? So if you don't set the bpm and you dont use the metronome you might be fighting against the machine as it tries to help you. Just a thought from my sleep deprived head.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:17 pm 

@sharpmotif: I never thought about resampling the loop capture & live audio with Sample mode.. This is so awesome! You really broke open a new world for me. So, THANKS! :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/user/alexriesenbeck (weirdness, music and more)
May PEACE Prevail ON EARTH