It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:51 am

Post subject: equipment recommendation needed
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 1:12 pm 

Hi.

I'd like to team up SP-404 with other gear and I need some recommendation on equipment:

1. which belt-drive turntable you recommend ? can it be connected directly to the SP-404 or via mixer ?
2. which direct-drive turntable you recommend ? what mixer will be good ?
3. good multitrack recorder? (Boss Micro BR, BR-600 and Tascam DP-02CF seem quite good)
4. headphones ? (now i've Sennheiser HD-201)

The most important to me are answers to turntable questions 'coz i'm going to buy one right after getting 404.

Peace!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 2:13 pm 
404 Award Winner '09 + Beat of the Year '09 + Tape of the Year '09

1. sony PS-LX250H. cheap basic turntable. Doesnt need a phono preamp- can hook directly to sp404.

3. I got the br600- its a great machine for everything. only thing i wish it had is midi.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 3:22 am 

if you are buying a belt-drive cuz it's cheaper and only cuz it's cheaper why not get a technics 1200 from a pawn shop. they can be found for less than 200 bones and even if it's thirty years old crusty and dirty it will probably give you much better results. however, if you really want a belt-drive i would go with something like a gemini; that way when the belt wears out (and it will), you can easily order another one. bigger companies like sony can be a real pain in the arse trying to get replacement parts as they would prefer you to just buy a new unit.

as far as headphones and 4tracks, just do a search here cuz there are plenty of discussions going on bout that.

and if u have the cheese, there are numerous new dd turntables that are sweet and would give you loads of functions over the 1200, but the 1200s are the most dependable in my opinion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 12:48 pm 

Thanks for feedback. Waiting for more.

@jbl: yeah, i'm low on money, should've write it earlier. I live in Poland and here it's like this: price > monthly wage. For me it would be like 2 months so i can afford new 1200 + some mixer (used one wouldn't be much cheaper).

As for now i think i'm gonna buy belt-drive turntable instead of buying not-so-good direct-drive one. Numark PT-01 seems to be a good idea plus it's mobile so it'll be good to have one even if i buy better stuff later.

Peace

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 12:51 pm 

I'll get a pt01 too! Heard good stuff 'bout it and you don't need a mixer.