It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:06 pm

Post subject: Serious midi clock timing issues
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:27 pm 

Dear friends,

Our quite new ebay acquired 606 seems to have some serious midi clock timing issues.
I’m trying to sync it either way to our computer based sequencer as a click machine (as already mentioned here viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9727). I placed some short samples in the build in memory (clicks, clacks, beeps, bocks) and programmed a simple click pattern (CLACK bip bip bip CLACK bip bip bip etc). Then I wired the midi cables (computer MIDI OUT, 606 MIDI IN) and subsequently I told the 606 to act as midi SLAVE and started the computer based sequencer.
606 starts to play just as is should but very soon (about some seconds later) the 606 is definitely out of sync. It sounds just terrible.

All right - maybe other way round. Swopped midi cables, defined computer as MIDI slave and put the sync of the 606 back to internal. PLAY on the 606, the computer starts to play but what happens then? The BPM display of the computer bounces about 4 BPM up and down (something between 98 and 102 if set to 100).
Obviously the 606 is sending bad midi clock data.

Before you ask: I replaced the 606 (same setup) with my old DR-660 drum computer and it stays perfectly in sync, both ways. No wiring mistakes and no bad settings in the computer. As we are trying to replace our stone-aged Cubase VST 5 with Ableton Live 8 I tried both sequencers. Same problems with both.

What is this? A known error? Malfunctioning hardware? How is that even possible?

Hope someone can help!

Thanks you and best regards, Lars

Post subject: Re: Serious midi clock timing issues
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:37 pm 

The 606 indeed has low resolution timing but why don't you try using the built in usb midi?It must be more accurate...
However it should not loose the sync when slaved.If you bought it second-hand I'd reinstall the firmware...it helped me on mine when I had some problems..
Check if midi thru is off,use the latest drivers for the sp-606
A tip to actually understand if 606 looses the sync:
First record a loop,put 606 in master mode and use the delay effect(wet)
You sould hear a delay with no pitch shift
Change slightly the templo up&down to get familiar with the pitching "effect"

Put 606 on slave mode and if you hear much of pitching up/down of the delay then you can be sure there is a problem!
Keep in mind that software programs are more precise on midi timing so I also noticed the change of bpm when slaving ableton with 606(but not so much as yours) and other hardware...
Sorry for the spelling!

Last edited by korakios on Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Serious midi clock timing issues
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:29 am 

Dear korakios,

GREAT! Thanks a lot, it worked.
I upgraded the system to the newest firmware and now the timing’s tight.
First I tried the USB connection instead of Midi but couldn’t spot any difference in terms of timing (although I didn’t measure anything).
Afterwards I updated the system (the system upgrade files can be found here: http://www.roland.co.uk/products/produc ... =Downloads) and - VOILÀ – timing’s good.

So, thank you again, korakios.

Best regards, Lars