It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:05 am

Post subject: Individual Outs - Assign single pads to S/PDIF ?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:48 am 

Dear SP-606 Users,

I’m looking for a way to assign pads/samples individually to either digital or anaolg outputs, so we can route “click samples” to our drummer’s mixer (analog) and the main sound to a pa (digital,or other way round). As far as I understand the signal flow diagram it is not possible, but maybe someone would kindly surprise me?

Thanks and bestes regards, Lars

Post subject: Re: Individual Outs - Assign single pads to S/PDIF ?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:47 pm 

Sorry to disappoint, but if what you're hoping for is splitting the 606's audio 4 ways (analogue 2 outs, digital 2 outs) then you're out of luck with this machine. The 606 only defines left/right with the outputs.

However, if you load it up with mono samples you can then balance each sample to each output by going hard left/right.

Or you could take the basic midi route & link in other midi devices with a metronome/click track there. It could be a good alternative if your drummer's using a digital kit where the drum brains/sound module has a midi-in port. Are you new to midi routing?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:44 pm 

Thanks for your swift reply. Actually we are doing too much midi routing in our band. So I was trying to scale down our live equipment by looking for nifty way to save at least one machine (for the click) and one midi thru box (unfortunately Roland decided to set the midi thru jack aside at the 606 and also at the Octapad we are using to trigger the 606).
So I think, we might try the mono way. Stereo is overrated anyway.
It is very likely, I'm coming up with more questions so thanks again for answering.

Best, Lars

http://www.tekfu.de
myspace.com/tekfu

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:24 pm 

Yeah, I see why you're asking now. The 606 is a bit limited in those regards.

A couple of alternative samplers would be the Korg Electribe ESX or an MPC1000. Both have midi thrus and can send 4 or more audio outs.

The catches with those are the ESX doesn't have velocity sensitivity for loud & soft hits (although I have seen a drummer using one as a sound module for his kit) and the MPC may be too expensive & overkill when you've already got the 606.

No worries about the quick reply- most of us on these forums are happy to help where we can.

What's it like using the Octapad? I've been wanting to play one for a while now...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:58 am 

I just bought and wire the Octapad - the drummer plays it.
From what I can see and hear it does quite a good job - although there are some things I’m missing. First of all, you can only assign note numbers up to #99 to each pad (the pianist is using a 404sx and our first idea was to hook that one up to the Octapad too and allocate the last three or four pad banks to our drummer. Didn’t work, ‘cause the these pads are triggered by higher note numbers. Isn’t really a problem concerning the 606 as this one’s only using note numbers up to #98).
Then of course this thing is really old-school. To change any setting you need to flip a switch at the back of the thing and then hithithithithithithithit the up/down buttons. No Jog wheel, no numeric pad. This is especially annoying when changing trying to assign a pad from note number 35 to 98.
The Octapad's saves four presets. Hmm. That’s only addressing two pad banks in the 606. I guess that’s not exactly up-to-date.

At last – again - I WANT MIDI THRU CONNECTORS without exception on all of my midi equipment. Or I want cheap midi thru boxes. But I get neither.

Now that I wrote all that I’m thinking about selling the Octapad and get ourselves a cheap Alesis Control Pad or something similar.
Anybody's burning for old-school Roland?

Yours, Lars