It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:16 pm

Post subject: HELP!
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:38 pm 

When I try to record a new pattern, the 606 says "patterns full". I already made sure that the flash card is formatted and that the "pattern protection" is off. It dosen't make sense to me that "patterns full" shows up when I have a 512mb card and supposedly the 606 can hold numerous patterns. I record my patterns at 4/4 time with a 4 bar loop. Maybe my patterns are too long? Any insight is appreciated! I thank you in advance!

Post subject: Re: HELP!
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:11 pm 

Hey boss, to clarify you are recording new tracks/patterns in the sequencer, right? Not recording new samples?

When it says 'patterns full' it means that something else has eaten up the machine's RAM. Just because you've got spare patterns, doesn't mean you've still got more space in its RAM.

The card doesn't boost what the machine's capable of, it just adds another 24 pad banks and allows more sample time to be added to those banks.

So basically, to get more on to your 606 you'll have to start erasing old patterns & samples. Get rid of the stuff that's old & the stuff you don't like. That'll give you more room to work.

When you start adding more samples, try making some of them mono & setting the recording quality to 'long' in the system's settings (page 43 of the manual). This'll mean you can fit more samples in next time. Its the samples that will really eat your RAM.

Sure Roland's SP-606 isn't Emu's SP-1200 in terms of memory, but its not unlimited. You still need that sense of economy when it comes to asking 'should I keep this?' Remember- it uses lossless audio files & they can get pretty big pretty fast, sucking up all that space for more beats.