It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:03 am

Post subject: How to do that (606 audio+softwares)?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:14 am 

hi again
that's the next 606 question
i've tried to record a pattern in sync to ableton live. it worked great.
the problem, my problem, is that if i want to record another track or pattern etc and i want to listen the previous track, this one it will be recorded with the new sounds comin from the 606, ableton metronome included...
if i put to "on" the imput sw, no external sounds are comin, but like this i cannot hear the previous track and i cannot tweak the new one with live and direct fx etc
any tricks/tips to this? or there arent?
if not it seems very strange that roland havent thought at this, maybe there are answer on this trouble when using p606?

thanx

Post subject: Re: How to do that (606 audio+softwares)?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:50 am 

you said:
"if i put to "on" the imput sw, no external sounds are comin, but like this i cannot hear the previous track and i cannot tweak the new one with live and direct fx etc"

do you mean "off" instead of "on"?

I had the same problem but never tried this:
go to system menu:"USB Audio Output Src" and set it to "off" ....maybe nothing will be recorded but try it....

You can also record midi off 606 and create in Ableton a midi track (or External Audio/Instruments Effects if you are in live 7,8) to capture pads&the effect data parameters so you can record later the audio alone(or freeze the track)...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:10 am 

korakios wrote:
you said:
"if i put to "on" the imput sw, no external sounds are comin, but like this i cannot hear the previous track and i cannot tweak the new one with live and direct fx etc"

do you mean "off" instead of "on"?

yes, sorry, ths is what i meant

korakios wrote:

I had the same problem but never tried this:
go to system menu:"USB Audio Output Src" and set it to "off" ....maybe nothing will be recorded but try it....

You can also record midi off 606 and create in Ableton a midi track (or External Audio/Instruments Effects if you are in live 7,8) to capture pads&the effect data parameters so you can record later the audio alone(or freeze the track)...

i will try the usb output src.

anyway how to record midi track? you mean to create a midi track in ableton in order to sequence the 606 from it or to record midi from the 606? i tried to sequence midi form the 606 and this is not possible, so i assume that you meant ableton midi (i have ableton 6).
it seems very laboriuos and feeling this complicated (again, "roland guys i love you" :evil: ), this 606 could have been better...but nobody is perfect

thanx again man

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:32 pm 

ellaguru wrote:
anyway how to record midi track? you mean to create a midi track in ableton in order to sequence the 606 from it ................................

yes ,create a midi track in ableton 6....but this workaround is usefull only if you use the same effects on 606 cause ableton can't write the effect on/off switch or the change of the effect type

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:23 pm 

i tried the usb output src to "off", so, as the schematic show on the manual, no sound coming from the usb is heard....so i cannot hear what is comin from ableton live...

so, maybe a solution is to switch between the 606 soundcard and onother one when multitracking (so bye bye to the usb sync), but in my personal case i had to unistall every soundcard's driver (maudio ftp or xiosynth) to correctly install the 606 driver, so this could be very complcated...and, as i said, there will be no usb sync (just midi sync)...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:05 pm 

do you have a mixer?
Maybe you could try this:
record the first track via 606 digital out to your 505 in (and in ableton via usb) ,and then play 505 track through the console (don't pass it to the 606 inputs) so you can record it solo on ableton....but again you have to sample the second track to 505 and so on...
it sucks ,I know!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:02 pm 

korakios wrote:
do you have a mixer?
Maybe you could try this:
record the first track via 606 digital out to your 505 in (and in ableton via usb) ,and then play 505 track through the console (don't pass it to the 606 inputs) so you can record it solo on ableton....but again you have to sample the second track to 505 and so on...
it sucks ,I know!

yes it seems complicated, but thanx the same.
what i cannot explain is why multitracking is possible on any soundcard and not on the 606 one...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:16 am 

if you have a soundcard with digital I/O you can multitrack ,with midi sync and the same quality as the usb...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:13 am 

korakios wrote:
if you have a soundcard with digital I/O you can multitrack ,with midi sync and the same quality as the usb...

i got an M-audio fast track pro wich has an s/pdif I/O (it's the same thing as digital I/O?). do the s/pdif cables cost very much?
anyway what kind of spdif (coaxial) i should buy (label and type-rca to rca etc)? shoul i take the "same advantage" of usb (record also "what happens" in the pc into the 606?)?

now i unistalled the drivers to let sp606 drivers install totally, but if i "return" to this soundcard do you think i can still use sp606 as mass storage while the m-audio is "on"?i mean, no conflicts and s**t?

ot
do the sp505 coaxial digital in is the same as spdif? maybe you can only record sounds into the 505, and not from, with it...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:39 pm 

ellaguru wrote:
1.i got an M-audio fast track pro wich has an s/pdif I/O (it's the same thing as digital I/O?).
2.do the s/pdif cables cost very much?
3.anyway what kind of spdif (coaxial) i should buy (label and type-rca to rca etc)?

1.yeap,the same!
2.it depends the quality...
3.buy a simple cheap RCA-RCA cable...it works!

ellaguru wrote:
should i take the "same advantage" of usb (record also "what happens" in the pc into the 606?)?

usb audio is the same quality as the spdif coaxial...all digital!

ellaguru wrote:
now i unistalled the drivers to let sp606 drivers install totally, but if i "return" to this soundcard do you think i can still use sp606 as mass storage while the m-audio is "on"?i mean, no conflicts and s**t?

just prefer connecting fasttrack to another usb input,you can always leave the usb driver of 606 to pass midi through usb but i always have ground loop noise (also on kp3& on zoomH2) coming from the analog inputs when i connect usb cables...

ellaguru wrote:
ot
do the sp505 coaxial digital in is the same as spdif? maybe you can only record sounds into the 505, and not from, with it...

yes ,but since you have the fasttrack you don't need the 505...the workaround for multitracking is for monitoring(hearing) the ableton's track without the need passing it through 606's INs...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:33 pm 

korakios wrote:
just prefer connecting fasttrack to another usb input,you can always leave the usb driver of 606 to pass midi through usb but i always have ground loop noise (also on kp3& on zoomH2) coming from the analog inputs when i connect usb cables...

this sounds not good...

korakios wrote:
yes ,but since you have the fasttrack you don't need the 505...the workaround for multitracking is for monitoring(hearing) the ableton's track without the need passing it through 606's INs...

i ask for that , because in this situation (606 with coaxial and no more as soundcard) maybe i don't really need this sp606...plus, i got an mpc1000 wich has digital I/O too...i don't kow...everything will depends on what it will be good with my workflow.
in any case it seems the the sp505 can only "receive" from its digital in...

korakios wrote:
2.it depends the quality...
3.buy a simple cheap RCA-RCA cable...it works!

what is good quality cables then? i bought today a cable for 7€, didnt try it yet. i read the trhead about the "monstercables", do you reccomad them?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:03 pm 

I never had normal workflow with computer,that's the reason i bought microsampler!I plan using a netbook only for midi stuff....(using the touchpad like xy controler and the keyboard for changing presets,effects etc..)if i ever decide to work with ableton(or Reason 5 which finally has the ability to record audio plus virtual pad) i would buy NI maschine+a midi keyboard and 2 24" screens!

7E cable?nice!sure it works,i used an 1E cable and everything was fine...

As far for the 606,you gain the ability to travel with a laptop...but for your home studio (i just saw your gear) a padKontrol&midi keyboard with a behringer bcr2000 could replace your gear(in my opinion) if you use Ableton.
Like you said it's all about workflow...i had an mc909 and i sold it for the stupid reason it had too many features they sucked me!
keep it simple ,jamm and press that rec button!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:22 pm 

korakios wrote:
I never had normal workflow with computer,that's the reason i bought microsampler!I plan using a netbook only for midi stuff....(using the touchpad like xy controler and the keyboard for changing presets,effects etc..)if i ever decide to work with ableton(or Reason 5 which finally has the ability to record audio plus virtual pad) i would buy NI maschine+a midi keyboard and 2 24" screens!

microsampler is tempting as we discuss in other posts!
i looked also at NI maschine in those days, but i think is not a sound card too, right?
for the midi/usb keyboard (that's another hybrid like the sp606) i use the xiosynth 25 wich is a useful -not great, useful- synth too.

korakios wrote:

7E cable?nice!sure it works,i used an 1E cable and everything was fine...

you mean you use normal rca cables?!?not digital cables?!? in the paper here is written "digital coaxial audio cable"...

korakios wrote:
but for your home studio (i just saw your gear) a padKontrol&midi keyboard with a behringer bcr2000 could replace your gear(in my opinion) if you use Ableton.

if i sell the 606 and the mpc1000 (in reality i never loved it enough indeed), the padkontrol is one of the things i want to buy.
for usb/midi controller i have the xiosynth and the evolution uc16 , but the brc2000 is useful in my case because it can controlls the jv 1080 and the tx81z 'cause it's able to send sysex messages...and is very cheap
anyway i use (for no) ableton just as a recorder/sequencer/multitracker and for mastering.
i don't know much about the "session view mode"...

korakios wrote:
Like you said it's all about workflow...i had an mc909 and i sold it for the stupid reason it had too many features they sucked me!

i bought the 606 (i rebought, this is the second time) because i'm preparing a show in jennuary so i thought it could be cool for live (+soundcard+usb storage etc) and the price (160€, 2 weeks ago) was really cheap for france.
but the first time (230€ in 2009) i bought it i didnt tried in it's midi/usb aspect. now i know better the limits (and pro) of it.
did you find the mc909 "too much full of things"?

korakios wrote:

keep it simple ,jamm and press that rec button!

that's what i've done just right before buying the 606!
before buying the 606, i was just record different hardware on ableton via midi. (before this i recorded on digital and audio recorders). now the "mastering fever" has makes me nearer to pc (and the job too).
in any case i'm not a laptop guy.
the best thing is just to keep the better of both world:hardware+software.
(i know very well that all this discussions about "hardware yes or not" are ridiculos if we think that with a pc and a software we can do almost everything, but...)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:12 am 

NI maschine isn't a soundcard,it's just a controller but with better intergration...(and bundled with many samples)
As far for the digital connection ,yeap I always use normal RCA audio cables with no problem...
On 909 I miss the slider which you could control pitch,bpm or both...super feature!...for me it had too many features which i would never(but always tempted) to use so i sold it and got a kp3(new) and a 505.
To be honest I also didn't like it's sound...too bright and digital,not harsh but too crystal!...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:01 am 

I am still trying to record a pattern in sync with ableton live ....can anyone offer a walk through guide .....
from the beginning plllleeaaassee !!