It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 4:18 pm

Post subject: sp-606 without a computer???
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 2:49 pm 

how well does the 606 work without a computer. i would be interested in getting one but the thing is i don't like fucking with computers when i make music, it just disturbs my workflow.

also how does this machine compare to the MPC 500??

peace

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:43 pm 

The MPC is more of a stand-alone unit than the SP. The 606, in particular, is best with a computer.

I had a 500, but it crashed a lot. Worse than a computer :lol:

Others have had no problems with crashing though, so you may be lucky.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:50 am 

so you would recommend the MPC 500 over the 606 then?
i want to use this as a stand alone unit with my alesis micron. i don't want to be funking with computers or anything.

while some may see the interaction between 606 and computer as a plus, i see it as off putting.

how well can you use the 606 with out the computer??
and will i be missing any major features?

Post subject: Listen
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:39 pm 

All those beat machines are are little dedicated "computers", so if you don't like computers (which you are on right now) I would just get some hand drums, such as bongoes or congas- or a banjo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:26 pm 

Yeah, a sampler is all 0s and 1s.....

To answer the question though - yes I would recommend an MPC over the 606 if you don't want to use a computer *at all*. The 606 is fine without a computer (I usually use it stand-alone), but it's the computer integration that makes it special. Hardware thump + Computer ease = Gold imo.

If you're going for an MPC, avoid the 500 - it's quite limiting in what it can do, and the convoluted menu-hopping makes it worse then using a mouse... Plumb for at least a 1000...or even better the 2500 (the only really good MPC!)

Professional studios use computers these days so I really don't see why peeps are so against them...? I guess it's a case of Limitation breeds Creativity?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:31 pm 
Awesome Member

i don't like them because i'm sick of interacting with computers in their pc/mac forms. i like dedicated hardware. i'm a tech professionally so in my free time i try to avoid computers for everything but surfing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:19 am 

Fair enough - if you are a techie for a living, I can see that getting away from the screen would def be a good thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:55 am 

i just prefer dedicated hardware when making music.
ive decided against the 606 now. i might cop an MPC 1000 or a 404 and a multi-track recorder.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:47 pm 

Over the MPC500 I would say look at the SP505. Highly slept on piece of gear and has alot of really dope features you wont find in other SPs... or MPCs for that matter.

www.myspace.com/djfrantic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:58 am 

The 505 does have a couple of cool features, but then again so does every SP! No two SPs have even a similar features set - it's like you are supposed to own them all (I wish!!).

My friend doesn't even own a computer and he uses a 606, so they are fine without a computer..... it's just that you miss out on some its best features (that the other SPs don't have) if you don't use the comp.

It still has the most advanced sampling options, sample editing, FX routing and sequencer of all the SP series (until that 707 comes out :lol: ), all without being connected to anything.

If you get a 1000 get spare pads...they are gonna break. And get a decent FX processor because the FX suck big time :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 4:06 am 

I believe that the Sp-606 is a very capable stand-alone piece of hardware. If you have the time and the creativity to find workarounds, there is no reason why you shouldn't be able to do most things. A computer just cuts alot of time out the picture and will be more accurate at pitching/streching.