It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:52 pm

Post subject: 606 midi for newbs combine with the korg esx for dummies
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:54 am 

first of all be patient with me i havent messed with midi connection/combination AT ALL so this post is going to be one of "those" annoying ones..

i have an sp 606 which i love working on... i also have a korg esx which i love working on... i feel more active and creative on the 606 like im actually making music rather than programming it... but (and this is a huge BUT) i am in love with the pitch knob on the esx.. if there was one thing i would add to any roland sampler it would be that pitch knob. i use it basically as time stretch and can lay down a track like nothing on the esx using just the esx rather than fumbling around on the 606 based on that one knob. if my sample is 1.5 bars long and i want it 2 long i twist that knob by ear till it fits in my loop.. or if i wanna take a small snipit and turn it into some weird filler loop or background sound i slow it down and stretch it to fit in the pattern how i hear it fit..

say i have samples on my 606 and i wanna stretch out one sample using the pitch knob on the esx... is there a way to connect the 606 to the esx and make that magic happen? the catch is i dont REALLY want to bounce stuff back and forth between the two machine via a ton of resampling.. i would so much rather it be more simple than that.. is anyone following my slightly nonsober 4th of july rambling? and more so does anyone have any suggestions or tips or walkthroughs to help a brother out?

to paraphrase i would like to play 99% of my stuff on the 606 and basically connect my esx to the 606 strictly to make the esx stretch the samples on the 606 to how i feel fit...

is it all possible?

Post subject: Re: 606 midi for newbs combine with the korg esx for dummies
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:47 am 

The pitching is an audio process.. so you have to put the sound itself into the ESX.. Unfortunately most SPs lack regular pitch control

MIDI can't give a device new functions, it just gives you a way of controlling the device from outside the box.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:39 pm 

ahhh i thought i had read somewhere where someone was using a device to control the sounds on another device.. or i thought you could do what i was asking since so many people like using the yamaha qy? sequencer with their 404 i thought i might be able to get jiggy that way... oh well.. thanks for the speedy response.. that damn esx has a way of reeling me back in every time after trying to use new things... i sat down last night to try to work on the 606 more and ended up making something i really like on the esx again...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:22 am 

The reason people like using midi sequencers with the SP is that it allows you to have separate tracks that can be muted/unmuted, it allows you to go back and edit the position of notes rather than have to delete them then re-record the pattern, gives you non-realtime pattern creating methods...

But yeah, you will just have to bounce back n forth with the audio.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:09 am 

i got it now.. i think once i get the 606 to computer set up working i dont think i will have the time stretch issue im mad about right now..