It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:31 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Windows 7 compatibility ?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:00 am 

ellaguru wrote:
berlerac wrote:
The Vista 32 bit drivers work for 32 bit Windows 7. There is no way to use the 606 in conjunction with a 64 bit system.

Ellaguru, it would seem that your only option to use the 606 as it was intended is to run 32 bit.

what's the advantages/disavantages to downgrade to 32bit? is that complicated also?

Hey ellaguru,

You really don't need that much computer power for music production, just need a good processor like the Intel i5 or the mighty i7. Most music files run at [email protected] to 24bit@96kHz. So you'll do well with a 32bit. 64bit is great if you do video production and play video games with demanding requirements. Check out bandh.com and they got ready to go laptops strictly for music.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:30 am 

32bit will only utilise just over 2GB of RAM, despite your RAM capacity.

I am running an i7 with 4GB RAM but only 2 and a bit gigs are being used.

The most obvious disadvantage is that eventually it will become more and more difficult to run a 32bit system with newer software. Other hardware devices (printers, scanners etc) will soon only issue drivers for 64bit.

At that point you will need a separate computer to continue to use the 606.

As it is, I am now unable to use my brand new i7 laptop for half the Adobe work I intended to do.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:36 am 

Also, if you are planning to buy a laptop, be careful. Very few manufacturers provide an option for 32bit with the pre-installed OEM Windows 7. Toshiba is one brand that does, I think.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:34 am 

guys thanx
i just bought a new laptop in the beginning of august,an asus x53s i7 2630 win7 64-motherfukin-bit; i use it for music, architecture (autocad, photoshop,3ds etc) video (adobe premier etc)...
for now i'm able to use my soundcard m-audio ftp (m-audio released drivers for the 64bit version!!), i installed ableton live 8.2.2 etc;
are you sure that with XP mode i cannot use the sp606 as soundcard or not even usb disk storage?
in any case i have to install xp mode because of the card reader for other machines (sp303,sp505,st224,mc909 etc)..(.i didn't try if this card reader works on win7)...
anyway, i have 4giga ram, it's bad to loose 2 giga downgrading to 32bit...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:11 am 

You might be lucky and be able to use USB storage but I'd be very surprised if you were able to get the soundcard to work. Let us know how it goes.

Roland are continuing to make mistakes. Every 606 owner will realise this eventually.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:18 am 

And just a reminder that Roland's suggestion was that I purchase another computer:

Quote:
Quite a few of our customers have got around situations like this by keeping a separate laptop or desktop running older operating systems (XP, Vista etc.) which can be picked up fairly cheaply on Ebay.

Unbelievable.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:51 am 

yes, they're fool to continue snobbing customers...

but
berlerac wrote:
You might be lucky and be able to use USB storage but I'd be very surprised if you were able to get the soundcard to work. Let us know how it goes.
y.

haven't you try at all that? i mean, with your win7 64bit?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:15 am 

I've just attempted to access USB storage on a laptop running 64-bit and I can't get it to work. Without drivers I can't see it being possible.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:04 pm 

berlerac wrote:
Roland are continuing to make mistakes. Every 606 owner will realise this eventually.

That's why I sold it :mrgreen:

But it's not only Roland.Korg&akai have the same policy(upgrade=buy new)

If anyone really wants to use an sp606 in a 64bit enviroment,the only way is buying an audio interface with digital I/O ...

berlerac wrote:
I've just attempted to access USB storage on a laptop running 64-bit and I can't get it to work. Without drivers I can't see it being possible.

When you plug the 606 and engage in the menu the "usb storage"(sorry I don't have the manual) ,win7_64 should look for a driver for the device...I think it should work(as a generic cf card reader,strange)...
How about midi?Do win7_64 see 606 as a midi device?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:14 pm 

My bad, forgot to mount it.

It does work as USB storage. Good news for Ellaguru.

I haven't tried MIDI.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:20 pm 

korakios wrote:
If anyone really wants to use an sp606 in a 64bit enviroment,the only way is buying an audio interface with digital I/O ...

fortunately i got this on my m-audio FTP...
berlerac wrote:
It does work as USB storage. Good news for Ellaguru.

I haven't tried MIDI.

thanx man! that's cool...
for the midi: if you connect soundcard midi out with sp606 midi in (or viceversa) it should work: i've tried my FTP with sp505 and it works (however, sync mode works, i didn't try midi notes..)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:36 pm 
Most Helpful Member of the Year '09

I'm not sure why people in here recommend against 64bit operating systems, but I'd say it's a requirement if you're going to buy and use a Windows PC these days for music production using DAWs and such.

More RAM the better and you'll actually be able to use it.

Windows 7 64bit also allows you to run 32bit applications, so it's not that much of a problem anymore as it used to be with older Windows versions.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still using mainly my MV8800 for music production, but if you're going to buy a PC you might as well buy a good one, right? :)

www.myspace.com/phemoxband
www.myspace.com/phemox
www.soundclick.com/phemox

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:09 am 

good to see you Phemox!
yes, this new pc is ok.
i'm just "nervous" for the lack of upgrade for 606 drivers...but, fortunaltely, as i said before, i got a soundcard with digital i/o (but also audio i/o, who cares), the important thing is to take pleasure to play with.
ps
by the way i'm very satisfied with the mc-909 wich can easly substitue the 606 (and more) in my studio!!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:30 am 

PHeMoX wrote:
I'm not sure why people in here recommend against 64bit operating systems, but I'd say it's a requirement if you're going to buy and use a Windows PC these days for music production using DAWs and such.

Have you actually read this thread?

PHeMoX wrote:
Windows 7 64bit also allows you to run 32bit applications, so it's not that much of a problem anymore as it used to be with older Windows versions.

Some applications can be accessed in virtual modes, yes.

Drivers are another issue entirely. The USB soundcard function of the 606 does not work in a 64bit environment.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:10 pm 

berlerac wrote:
Drivers are another issue entirely. The USB soundcard function of the 606 does not work in a 64bit environment.

100% agree.

(yesterday, taking by disperation :) , i tried with the x64 upgraded drivers of some edirol/roland soundcards, just to try, and ,obviously it didn't worked: the drivers were installed but, naturally, the sp606 -when i connected it to the pc wth the usb cable- were not recognised as soundcard.
i know, it's some sort of "kamikaze trying", but i do what i can :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next