It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:19 pm

Post subject: SP 606 shortcut Issues
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 8:00 am 

Hello...
I am trying to use my sony vaio vgn-ns140e laptop to upload wav files to my sp 606.....
i also tryed this on my powermac g4 ..........
while it seems both computers know the sp 606 is connected, they do not allow me access to it.
I have unistalled and reinstalled..... can someone please tell me what the issue is??

Post subject: Re: SP 606 shortcut Issues
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 7:51 pm 

seriously people..... i really need help here!!!!

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 8:01 pm 
Winner of Gold Medal
Winner of Gold Medal

try hitting the "menu" button... scroll down to "5: USB Mass Storage"... press enter, then press enter again. That should solve your problem I hope

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 8:04 pm 

Did you upload the drivers? If not not then try this:

http://www.rolandus.com/products/produc ... ductId=573

Without the drivers your comps will not be able to understand your 606. Of course your computer sees the connection but the SP has its own language to communicate.

Also, do not connect a soundcard to your 606 to the computer, the SP is a soundcard.

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 8:21 pm 

@ ill green ... yes.. i installed, uninstalled....reinstalled... same problem....
i tryed the usb mega storage thing with my mac and had no sucess with that... but i will try with my pc here in a bit.... i will post again with the results.

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 12:42 am 

still no luck...
i tryed the mass storage thing... it just says there is no card ready.....
which is because i dont have a card in it..... nor do i own one...
I know i installed the driver correctly its just .... there is no shortcut to the 606 on my computer to dump wav's into.....
still need help...

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 5:52 am 

there has to be something someone can suggest......
i find it hard to believe noone has had this issue.....
anything anyone?

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 6:04 am 

what windows are you using?

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 7:16 am 

windows vista home premium...
which i made sure to download THAT driver.

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 7:32 am 

Quote:
i tryed the mass storage thing... it just says there is no card ready.....
which is because i dont have a card in it..... nor do i own one...

I'm not sure but..
Doesnt the USB mass storage function copy data onto a CARD not the 606 itself?

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 7:38 am 

what really bugs me is i cant get this sampler to show up on either the mac or the pc.... and ive NEVER even tryed hooking this up to the pc before... let alone dumping wavs in.... im really newto the sp 606.. ive had it for a while... bought it used at sam ash in castleton indiana.....
but i never tryed making my own drum samples or any type of sample with it before ever... its a MUST that i get this to work.. or at least diagnosed as faulty... which .. i really hope thats not the case... im sure we have all noticed that these machines can be a pain in the ass at points.. im hoping this one is just that.. having a moment of uncooperation

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 7:39 am 

so ... are you saying i MUST have a card in this machine in order to dump samples to it?
i thought there was an internal memory

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 12:58 pm 

No, there's internal memory. Cards aren't essential but they help if you want to store your samples in the machine/play live etc. There's not much but its there (don't complain- remember folk go crazy over MPC60s & SP1200s even with their sub 1 minute sampling times).

So what's the original problem again: are you struggling to load in new samples from a computer or record new samples into the machine or run the sp606's p606 program or use it with another program as controller or whatever? All are very different processes. Apologies but I think I lost track of your question/point by your 4th post.

But I do hear you when you talk about connecting to the computer & struggling. My sp606 has taken a few small beatings and crashes on USB transfer occasionally. Fine. Workaround: get a USB card reader (yes, another reason why cards are useful and don't worry, card readers don't tend to cost much). Drag & drop your samples to the card, stick it in the sp606 & load the samples to the right pad. Easy, you're ready for new beats. No need for drivers with stuff like this.

Or- have you tried to record samples from an external sound source instead? Go ghetto & stick the right cable & plug between your computer's headphone jack & the sp606's audio in & sample those wavs.

Really, I loathe to be one of those MPC forums style goons that answers everything with READ THE MANUAL, but try it every now and again. Its dry & boring, sure, but when you loop a break for the first time that's a good little cherry to pop.

Edit:
Pretty sure Cartesia's right about the card being necessary for the USB transfer.

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 12:06 am 

my problem is.....
There is supposed to be a shortcut icon for the SP-606 on my desktop that i drag and drop wav files too in order to get the sample from my computer to my sp 606.
there is no shortcut.. nor can i find any roland programs or anything on my computer....
i downloaded the windows vista driver from roland and still have nothing...
I have un installed and reinstalled.. still i get nothing..
this happend on my mac also.. no desktop icon would showup ... yet when i looked at the usb port reading on the mac it showed the sp 606..
As for your ghettotech suggestion... i have no problems getting the presets to work on recordings and such... i would just like to be able to cue samples when i want them to be ...from girls laughing to people talking about salvation... any kind of sample i want to use i want to be able to set it off when i want it to be ..
in orde to do this.... i need to get files from my computer too my sampler.... keep in mind i havent a flash card right now.. YES... i will have one in the future..... but not right now...
i should be able to dump files into the internal memory... i have gone to the menu page and down to both options that have USB in the title..
Ive read up on my problem before i asked the question here...
the reason i came to here was to get an answer from someon who has had and gotten over this issue.. reading the manual is a given but not always the solution... in this case... it didnt help.

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 3:28 am 
Winner of Gold Medal
Winner of Gold Medal

without the card, i guess your computer only recognizes the sp as a soundcard and becomes a storage device when the card is inserted... that's just the way it is. Without the card, u can't file import, file export, backup save... none of that... so I wouldn't expect to see it show up as a drive on your comp. Kinda sucks... I say forward ur question to Roland though and see how they answer it

In the manual, from what I can see, their rationale (i think) behind this is that "There is no need to load the data into internal memory - data on the card can be accessed directly, even for playing from the pads"

Makes sense too though because say you insert a memory card into your sp... If there was an internal drive that showed up on your comp, a second drive would also need to show up for the card leaving you with two different drives, separating card information from internal information... makes things kinda confusing this way