It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:13 am

Post subject: sp 606 as a remix box
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 7:17 am 

From what I see on utube, most everyone use their 606 as a drum machine to make beats. Does anyone ever remix? Slice pellas and sequence different beats for the ultimate remix. I have p606 software but I am not feeling it. All I am interested in is doing remixes since I am more of a dj than a beatmaker.

I am using sony acid and sp 606.
any suggestions on creating the ultimate remix?

I just received my 606 from ebay for 200.00 and this is what i notice so far.
1. beat matching/time stretching is not that great. It seems like I will have to do all of my beat matching in sony acid and just sample into the 606.

Thanks for any input on doing mash ups.

Post subject: Re: sp 606 as a remix box
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 8:14 pm 

Anythings possible with the 606. With a 512MB compact flash card you can have 5 hours + of sample time, meaning you can record whole acapellas and instrumentals and break them up amongst the pads to start mashing to your content.

The only bad side is that the 606 alone can't pitch tune samples like a turntable can, but with software, thats possible.

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 12:36 pm 

A bad craftsman blames his tools, a good one doesn't. Or another cliche: don't look at the limitations, look at the possibilities.

etc etc.

Spend some time with the machine & really think about what it is you want it to do & you'll be fine, hey. Samplers are great like that, if you can get around how abstract they can be...

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 1:29 am 

Beardface wrote:
A bad craftsman blames his tools, a good one doesn't. Or another cliche: don't look at the limitations, look at the possibilities.

etc etc.

Spend some time with the machine & really think about what it is you want it to do & you'll be fine, hey. Samplers are great like that, if you can get around how abstract they can be...

You are absolutely right. I do like the sp 606. I've owned the mpc 1000 and 500 in the past but I am enjoying this box because I can do remixes. Thanks again for the advice. 1

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 1:31 am 

Ill Green wrote:
Anythings possible with the 606. With a 512MB compact flash card you can have 5 hours + of sample time, meaning you can record whole acapellas and instrumentals and break them up amongst the pads to start mashing to your content.

The only bad side is that the 606 alone can't pitch tune samples like a turntable can, but with software, thats possible.

I just received my 512 card today and I am in the process of doing a Gang Starr tribute on the 606. Thanks for the tip. 1

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 3:36 am 
Winner of Gold Medal
Winner of Gold Medal

good call on the gangstarr tribute!

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 2:09 pm 

reggiereg1 wrote:
I've owned the mpc 1000 and 500 in the past but I am enjoying this box because I can do remixes.

Hey cheers man!

Out of curiosity, what is it for you that makes the sp606 better than the MPCs for your remixing?

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 6:28 pm 

Beardface wrote:
reggiereg1 wrote:
I've owned the mpc 1000 and 500 in the past but I am enjoying this box because I can do remixes.

Hey cheers man!

Out of curiosity, what is it for you that makes the sp606 better than the MPCs for your remixing?

Maybe it's just me but when I think of MPC, I automatically think of beat making, chopping sample and so forth. The SP 606 allows me to step out of that box of beatmaking and focus more on remixes. I will show you what I am talking about later. I will post my first vid hopefully tonight using the 606. Cheers!

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 7:00 pm 

i use sp-606 for remixing mostly - i fooled around with kmfdm and shotgun messiah songs - did some kinda mixture of crystal method with these bands - just cut out loops from these songs - did it all only with sp-606--which is an old scool way - no computers at all!!!

great tool for remixing plus it's main idea is a phrase sampler (8 note polyphony is for loops) - means you just stick loops in it and fool around!