It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:57 pm

Post subject: Ableton Integration
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:47 pm 

Hi im a newbie here (to this forum - Had my SP606 5+ years and been using Live 2 years, but only this evening tried to integrate the two).
Im having a few issues with regard to my SP606 and Ableton Live 7 integration. Rather bump multiple threads with topics of concern, I decided to start one thread to cover everything.

Using INT mode has no effect over Live at all, In EXT I can get control and map clips to pads etc. but only the pads and the 3 CTRL knobs and the DBeam seem to send midi data. In INT mode the orange/yellow midi data dot does not glow when pressing any buttons on the 606.

In EXT mode Im struggling to effectively setup various different Midi Channels, so I can have different clips triggering on different midi channels...

Im also looking to set up transport control of Ableton. I managed to do so somehow, by accident in INT mode, but only with one of the preset PTNs of the SP606 loaded, and thus then lost pad control of clips.

Id be very grateful to anyone who can help in anyway at all.
I wouldn't be surprised if its something really obvious Im missing.
Ive been going through the manual, and Ableton and this forum for help, + google, but not had any luck so far...

Setup:
Macbook OS X 10.5
Ableton 7
SP 606 (Connected via USB)
NI Audio Kontrol audio interfact (conneted via second USB).

In Live:

Midi In > SP606 > Track ON, Sync OFF (had no luck with any of the above with it set to on) Remote ON.
On the 606:
FUNC > NOTE TRIG
Midi UTL :
Pad Base Ch: 1
Pad TX mode: Type2 (Type 1 doesnt seem to resolve)
Effect CTRL Ch: Omni
Sync Source: USB
Sync Mode: Slave
TX Midi Sync: Off
Soft Thru: Off.

Post subject: Re: Ableton Integration
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 1:20 am 

I don't have a 606, I'm not familiar with Ableton and I don't know much about MIDI but I'll try...

Page 95 has the adresses for basically anything including the transport buttons, unless I'm mistaken there's some way to input those manually so that they're recognized in Ableton (or maybe not, but then there's this: http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php? ... 5904a44d8f - it seems a bit old, but maybe you can take it from there).

Page 78 seems to indicate that there are 8 different channels which are determined from what pad bank you are, so if pad base is set to 1 then pad banks 1-4 are on channel 1, 5-8 on 2 and so on - however if you're using Type 2 it seems like they're fixed from 1 to 8 (page 79).

Using EXT mode MFX1 Ctrl 1/2/3, MFX1 Switch, MFX2 Ctrl 1/2/3, MFX2 Switch and DBeam send CCs.

Another thing you could try is using the V-Link function and see if something comes up on Ableton, since it does actually send MIDI Data (and I don't remember what's the trick on the 606 but with the 555 you need to press V-Link to use the DBeam for sending MIDI data).

Hope it helps.

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 12:45 am 

sharpmotif wrote:
I don't have a 606, I'm not familiar with Ableton and I don't know much about MIDI but I'll try...

Hi thanks for the response.

sharpmotif wrote:
Page 95 has the adresses for basically anything including the transport buttons, unless I'm mistaken there's some way to input those manually so that they're recognized in Ableton (or maybe not, but then there's this: http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php? ... 5904a44d8f - it seems a bit old, but maybe you can take it from there).

Ableton uses instant mapping for midi control, so you in midi mapping mode, you select the parameter you'd like to control inside Live and then touch/move the controller to assign the connection. So, unless theres a hidden way that I dont know about, you can manuallly input address for transport etc. Furthermore, in the SP606's EXT-Mode the transport buttons don't appear to send any midi data at all - Lives midi input detect does not respond.

sharpmotif wrote:
Page 78 seems to indicate that there are 8 different channels which are determined from what pad bank you are, so if pad base is set to 1 then pad banks 1-4 are on channel 1, 5-8 on 2 and so on - however if you're using Type 2 it seems like they're fixed from 1 to 8 (page 79).
Using EXT mode MFX1 Ctrl 1/2/3, MFX1 Switch, MFX2 Ctrl 1/2/3, MFX2 Switch and DBeam send CCs.

Thought the same myself, but cant seem to get any different response between the two types..... Even on type 1, Midi pad data seems only to respond on Channel1.

sharpmotif wrote:
Another thing you could try is using the V-Link function and see if something comes up on Ableton, since it does actually send MIDI Data (and I don't remember what's the trick on the 606 but with the 555 you need to press V-Link to use the DBeam for sending MIDI data).

Having seen this suggestion, elsewhere on this forum I tried this... I cant remember why, but didnt have much/any sucess - but could be worth trying again, with different settings etc.

Cheers so far, hope other can possibly contribute to help solve the problems?
taaaa

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 3:02 am 

My setup used to be pretty close to yours as I had a mac, 606, and ableton 7. Now it is a little different and it has been a long time since I had it hooked up like that. Saying that and it is late for me, here goes.

remc wrote:
Using INT mode has no effect over Live at all, In EXT I can get control and map clips to pads etc. but only the pads and the 3 CTRL knobs and the DBeam seem to send midi data. In INT mode the orange/yellow midi data dot does not glow when pressing any buttons on the 606.

These have been my experiences also in other programs like reason. May be typical.

remc wrote:
In EXT mode Im struggling to effectively setup various different Midi Channels, so I can have different clips triggering on different midi channels...

What happens when you go to the option FUNC+11 pad and changed the midi channel on the 606? From you notes below looks like you already tried this.

remc wrote:
Im also looking to set up transport control of Ableton. I managed to do so somehow, by accident in INT mode, but only with one of the preset PTNs of the SP606 loaded, and thus then lost pad control of clips.

Did you have the "EXT" clicked on in Ableton and have it set up as a remote in the midi settings in both ableton and the 606 when it worked?

Peace and good luck. Let me know how it goes so we could maybe help someone else out.

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 4:04 am 

hey man rather than having a trigger pad for each clip, have you tried setting it up like so:

go into session view.. go into midi map mode..just below the clip grid bit of each track you will see a stop button and a play button. assign that play button for each track to a pad. you can assign a stop button for each track too BUT theres an easier way to do that which is just to press play on an empty clip slot (as long as its not in record/arm mode)

now look at the master track column, just below the scene list (1..2.3..4..etc) are up/down arrows.. now assign pads to up/down.. (or you can assign a knob to the box with the number in it - giving you a scroll-wheel)

now instead of having to have a pad assigned to every clip, you can use the up/down buttons to scroll up/down and then hit the play button(s) for the track that you want to play the highlighted clip from.