It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:09 am

Post subject: Sp-606 wich multitrack recorder you suggest?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:08 pm 

Hi...I'd like to export my beats track by track from my sp-606 to a multitrack recorder and take the tracks to my sound engineer for proper mixing.
Any suggestion for a good multitrack recorder? I don't want to use any daw.

I'd like to buy a used zoom hd16cd...

Important: do you think I will be able to slave my 606 via midi to the zoom or any other multitrack recorder?

Has anybody ever tried something similar?

Thanks a lot in advance for any suggestion and sorry for my English!

Post subject: Re: Sp-606 wich multitrack recorder you suggest?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:09 am 

Hey Jack, I've been using a Boss BR600 for as long as I've had my SP606 (nearly 3 years now) & its served me pretty well. It's a digital 8 track with internal effects, a couple of different audio inputs (guitar hi-Z, 3.5mm & microphone via 1/4 inch cable) & USB. Audio channels are split with 1 through four being mono & 5/6, 7/8 being stereo. No CD/DVD burning, but that's cool (just upload to Audacity in PC, mix there & export to WAV or MP3) & no midi (I don't need it because its easy to set up a metronome inside the BR600 to play along with).

A big advantage is that its battery & AC powered so portability's a dream. Will probably upgrade when the BR600 dies to a higher BR series model with CD/DVD.

I love this little device...

But then again, recording is a garbage in -> garbage out situation. Most digital multitracks have pretty high recording standards so as long as you set it up right, it should sound right. So if you're only running the SP606, you won't need much from your multitrack (like dozens of audio inputs for recording 3 or more channels at once).

Multitracks are a good investment/toy because it can open up the SP606s limitations (resampling whole rhythms etc) and it helps to get thinking about production in different ways. I haven't checked out the Zoom yet, but they're a good company & most of the time a recorder with MIDI will do the job if you want to sync it with the SP606 (which is why they put MIDI on it in the first place).

Hope this helps, your English is fine!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:33 pm 

beardface
im tempted to pick up one of these machines based on your comments. i had a fostex 8 track and i tried to go straight into it from an sp 404 and it sounded terrible. ive since upgraded to an sp 606 and i dont think im a computer recording guy...i just can't do that shit, not tech savvy enough...
SO, i want something thats plug in and record, and it sounds like it sounds on my sp...is the br 600 the way to go?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:01 pm 

Yeah computer recording aint my thing either. I pretty much grew up on hitting Play and Rec at the sametime to record something.

I heard there was a BR-600 with cd recorder in the works, but I'll have to get back to you on that.

I've been using Tascam DP001 for 5 yrs now and its pretty much an easy DAW to use. Just assign the input to a track and start to record, thats it. The manual got just as much pages as the SP303's and I read it maybe 3 times, its a real friendly device. The sound is uncompressed, so what you put in, is what comes out. No effects on mine though, just basic EQ, but the DP001FX got effects and phantom power. I do most of the technical stuff on my samplers anyway so its perfect for me.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:33 pm 

thanks ill green...i'll check out the tascam

i've considered going to my local community college to figure out computer recording...im that bad...and i once paid some guy 100 an hour to teach me cubase...useless. its like teaching a rock how to swim.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:11 am 

also, anybody have experience with the boss br 900?
looks like a dope unit and has the built-in cd burner.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:51 pm 

tedstryka wrote:
is the br 600 the way to go?

Its A way to go, ha! All my hardware tracks tracks are done with it & generally they sound pretty decent, to my ears they actually sound better than what I can record inside the computer with Reason 3...

Hey Roland/Boss/Edirol: where's my sponsorship money already??!?!