It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:19 pm

Post subject: external sequencer -> sp606
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:43 am 

I'm planning to buy a sp606. Went through all the specs of the MPC's, electribes and now sp's. I'm wanting to stick with this one.

Some questions:

Is it possible to trigger the sp606 from an external sequencer (midi in or USB), without latency issues?
More then one pad bank at a time (like a kick from pad bank 1 and a snare from pad bank 3)?

Is it possible, when being triggered (when a sequencer is 'playing' the sp606 sounds), to change the sound coming from a pad (like: I don't like the sound of the kick drum, lets use another sample... and just changing the sample of the pad while playing).

Is it possible, to record a sequence (midi) from the sp606 to a aoft-sequencer? And how does that work. Does it need to be recorded on different channels for all the 4 tracks, or does is just need different channels for the different pad banks...

Post subject: Re: external sequencer -> sp606
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:24 am 

simon wrote:
I'm planning to buy a sp606. Went through all the specs of the MPC's, electribes and now sp's. I'm wanting to stick with this one.

Some questions:

Is it possible to trigger the sp606 from an external sequencer (midi in or USB), without latency issues?
More then one pad bank at a time (like a kick from pad bank 1 and a snare from pad bank 3)?

Is it possible, when being triggered (when a sequencer is 'playing' the sp606 sounds), to change the sound coming from a pad (like: I don't like the sound of the kick drum, lets use another sample... and just changing the sample of the pad while playing).

Is it possible, to record a sequence (midi) from the sp606 to a aoft-sequencer? And how does that work. Does it need to be recorded on different channels for all the 4 tracks, or does is just need different channels for the different pad banks...

even the 404 does everything you mention. if you are gonna record just record whatever works for you.. it can be like:

just a stero mix of all your samples
drums on recording 1, bas son recording 2 and so on
or hihat on record one, bassdrum on record 2 and so on..

you choose what works for you.. if you choose one of the last two you can put efx on f.eks. the drums from your daw..

its a killer machine.. to bad i can't afford it.. the 404 is smokin' hot two though!

http://kristofferlislegaard.com/

Last edited by kristoffer1989 on Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:33 am 

I get the feeling you are referring to audio record. What I'm talking about is recording the midi note numbers into a soft sequencer, to be able to use the sp606 as a soundmodule triggered by the soft sequencer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:54 am 

simon wrote:
I get the feeling you are referring to audio record. What I'm talking about is recording the midi note numbers into a soft sequencer, to be able to use the sp606 as a soundmodule triggered by the soft sequencer.

then just record midi notes into your sequencer using whatever midicontroller you want to use..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:11 am 

kristoffer1989 wrote:
simon wrote:

then just record midi notes into your sequencer using whatever midicontroller you want to use..

Yeah, I was wondering (read first post) how the sp606 handles the midi when recording those sequences onto a pc, and when playing back those midi files triggered by an external sequencer. How does it 'spread' the pads on different channels, or how it 'spreads' the midi notes from different tracks (from the four track itnernal sequencer)...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:56 am 

simon wrote:
kristoffer1989 wrote:
simon wrote:

Yeah, I was wondering (read first post) how the sp606 handles the midi when recording those sequences onto a pc, and when playing back those midi files triggered by an external sequencer. How does it 'spread' the pads on different channels, or how it 'spreads' the midi notes from different tracks (from the four track itnernal sequencer)...

every pad has a diffrent note.. pretty easy really.. then when you play back the midi file on your sequencer every note will trigger a sample..

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:50 am 

kristoffer1989 wrote:
every pad has a diffrent note.. pretty easy really.. then when you play back the midi file on your sequencer every note will trigger a sample..

Good thread!

I understood from the manual that indeed each sample in any of the banks has an unique ID (combination of MIDI-note & MIDI-channel), but I was wondering whether you could indeed trigger any sample by external MIDI-notes, regardless of which bank is selected on the SP-606.

So it sounds like it's possible (based on your info), nice!