It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:53 am

Post subject: Chopper
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 11:46 pm 

Hate to bring the chopper up again, but...

Before I found out about sp-forums, when I had my sp for less than a week, I contacted Roland about the problems we all seem to have. Today, I finally got a reply...

To: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
RE: Support Request #11221
Product: SP-606
Subject: Chopping
Question: Each time I chop, it seems to chop unequally or in the middle of a kick drum. I tried changing the chop values, but get similiar results. Is there any remedy?

Gabriel,

Program change number 15 for PITCH BANK 1 and PC NO. 16 for PITCH BANK 2
I hope that this helps answer your request. If you need more assistance in this matter, please either re-submit your support request or contact our Product Support Department at the appropriate number:

Digital Recorders and Mixers: 323-890-3741
Guitar/Percussion Products: 323-890-3743
Pianos, Organs, Arrangers: 323-890-3744
Synths/Sound Modules/Groove Products: 323-890-3745
Product Support Main: 323-890-3740

Sincerely,
Roland Product Support

PLEASE DO NOT RESPOND DIRECTLY TO THIS EMAIL.

Does anyone know wtf they are talking about (as far as how to program change the pitch banks)? I'd email them again, but I want to find out how to do this by the end of this year :x .........

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 1:17 am 

Program Change is a midi thing; dunno what it could have to do with the issue - unless it changes the chopper algorithm? If that was the case then wouldn't it be covered in the chopper section of the manual? Oh, that's right it's a Roland Manual!

I have so far found only one loop that I couldn't get the chopper to work on - the different 'level' settings seem to have no rhyme or reason; every one changes the way it chops drastically.

A possible workaround: try putting the loop through an expander to make the transients stand out more - that way the chopper wont get confused.... I know that means turning on the computer, but this sampler was always intended to be used with a computer.

Failing that it'll have to be done by hand I'm afraid!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 1:30 am 

It didn't make sense to me that a midi program change would have anything to do with the chopper, but who knows. I'll know when (if) roland ever replies back.

I chop manually anyway; I'd rather take the time and do it right. I guess half snares and kicks is the price of convenience (sp?).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 1:37 am 

I use the autochop all the time - it's the easiest way to get 'kits' of sounds made elsewhere on to the SP.

I don't know if you've noticed, but the sp only shows 200 files at a time - no good considering you can load over 500 samples!!! Using the chopper to load samples 16 at a time avoids the filelist becoming full.

If working with a lifted loop from vinyl though, recycle or soundforge is always gonna be better than any other method.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:53 am 

I've found a way to avoid confusing the chopper when using a loop from vinyl.

Before loading the sample, mute a tiny section of the file in soundforge, just before each transient that you wish to detect. This makes it so that it's virtually impossible for the chopper to get confused. Seems like work, but it's still easier than loading all the separate bits one-by-one.